Fly Fusion Forums

Ole Faithful

Timo

Ole Faithful

I was just reminiscing on my old reliable fly rod and reel that one day may need replacement.

It is a 4pc Orvis Rocky Mountain 8 ‘3” 4 weight that I bought in 1990 -92. My memory fails me here on the exact year. It was for me quite the step up from the cheap starter rod set up I began with.

I bought it with an Orvis Madison reel at Country Pleasures in Willow Park from Jim McLennan.

For me and my budget at that time it was quite the stretch and I was the proud papa of this new fancy rod

that came in an aluminum tube and had a 25 year guarantee.

This rod and reel set up has been with me through thick and thin. When it comes out of its tube and sock I hold it next to my cheek and mutter oh Billy, Billy just like Ted Knight does to his putter in Caddyshack. :lol:

It has been with me to Rainy Ridge on at least 4 occasions successfully presenting my flies to Golden trout.

It has sojourned to BC for bass

Walked along with me in Wiaprous fishing brook trout from the beaver dams and tiny creeks.

Vermillion lakes and Bourgeau have fallen to its charms

Many areas of water from Beaver Mines to Rainy ridge have seen its presence.

The same goes to all the fine foothill streams and ponds.

It has broken once and been repaired by Orvis.

Recently this summer it caught the Rocky Mountain Gutthroat. :eek: (My name for a fish caught in a special way) See Pics.

I guess the reason I am posting this is that I have purchased another rod and reel set up and I feel guilty that Ole Faithful will have to sit in the truck more as I play with a new set up, and my post count is pathetically low so I will post just about anything to get rid of my newbie status.

Anyhow here are a few recent pictures. If you have any Ole Faithful rod stories why not share them.

This stick has been with me for almost 25 years! Heck the (lifetime) guarantee is almost up.

Posing for pictures

964474005_gscqf-M.jpg

Wear and tear

964474833_KFKy6-M.jpg

The Rocky Mountain Gutthroat

936176618_kRsNC-M.jpg

Thanks for putting up with my reminiscing.

:peesout:

Ya i had an Ole Faithful,bought in 1992 Fenwick something or other with a nice click Diawa reel.Never failed me.Had some high 20's browns on it and few pike in the 20's also.Last seen sinking in the Bow :opps:

But since then I've purchased a few different ones all a little lighter and nicer to cast,so maybe a blessing in disguise.Looking forward to having the ones i have now for a long time and probably making good use of the lifetime warranty.

I don't have a pic of my old rod but i have some of my new ones.

p4170131medium.jpg

p8280474medium.jpg

rodlocker013medium.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Got an old 7wt 8'6" fenwick and a scientific angler system 2 reel. Caught almost every species of trout I have caught with that and my first salmon, Although im not as old as you guys, its the oldest rod we have in the arsenal and i can always count on it. Its still a beauty for pounding streamers and poppers for pike.

Old faithful would have to be my Montague Redwing. Its fished well through 4 generations in my family (my son often takes it out), still casts like a dream and lays down a dry fly gentle as a thistle. Has turned more trout than I could say. I wonder how many "modern" rods will be able to brag about that kind of longevity.

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

My Old Faithful has sadly passed on. A Golden West 10' 7 wt that I built from a kit. For anyone who hasn't heard of them Golden West was run by Mike and Denise Maxwell, using J. Kennedy Fisher blanks. Thant was an incredible, smooth casting rod that was the only stick I owned for over 20 years. 20" browns on Stauffer, nymph rigs and big streamers on the Bow, you name it, it did it. The top section finally folded over one day, obviously hit by split shot or weighted streamers one two many times. Unfortunately, the Maxwells had gotten out of the rod business, and although I talked to several custom builders about possible repair it doesn't like it will ever be useable again. It still sits in its tube downstairs, though, hoping against hope.

My Old Faithfull was a T & T 5wt blank that I bought from Peter Smallman in Cochrane many years ago, I cant remember when nor can I remember the model, gotta be 25 years. It was though the first rod I ever built, a grey blank with my Daughter's favorite color purple for thread wrapping. It has caught my largest fish ever that broke it but repaired, also caught fish in Alberta & Montana & still in good shape except, it maybe in need of a make over soon.