Fly Fusion Forums

Switch Rods

mykiss126

looking to add one to my ever growing collection of spey rods have a hatch 7 plus mid arbour reel to put on the rod was looking at a sage 7110 or the 7119 any body cast these rods or can sugest one . the spey rods i have are cnd 5/6 black spey solstice 7/8 loomis glx dredger 7/8 and the old sage 9140 9 wt cheers :caffeetime:

Haven't cast the 7110 or 7119 but I have the 6110Z, 5126Z, and 7126TCX and like em each for different things. The TCX is a bit faster than the Z-Axis, but it only needs a minor adjustment in casting stroke to go from one to the other. Your Dredger and CND are significantly slower action than either of them. I've never cast the 9140 though. Maybe wait for the show and see if they have both rods at the Sage booth that you can test on the casting pond before you plunk down a significant chunk of change.

Have the 7110Z-axis loaded up with a compact Scandi 450 .....Tried the 420 a lil' light and also tried the 480 which was a little heavy...Toss's big nasty dries all day long and if asked will toss a type 8 tip with a 'truder tied to the end of it... Which 9140 do you have the greenie or brown??? Either blank will be a world different than the Z-axis and or TCX.

i have the old 9140 brownie with a skagit 600 grain line on it have to take my time with this rod as the tcx and z axis will be fast action and a different animal all together right?

Yep the Old brownie has a very deep load compared to the newer Z-axis and TCX which are a faster action faster recovering rod. They are completly different rods. Once heard you pay for the whole rod...so you may as well use it...and you sure do with the 9140 brownie. Fun feeling the load into the cork. Test drive both sticks see which one works for you is my advice.

Humppphhh...thought you were talking Switch rods??!!

Since Beulah was the first company to introduce the Modern day Switch rod to the market place and now basically all major manufactureres have folled that path, you might want to see Generation 2,the Beulah Platinum Switch rods now released...elegant finishes, very well built,especially light in hand and responsive as you might expect....

We will have these at the Fly Fishing Show in January of course but have a stock of them on hand for those wanting such toys...

C

With all due respect and humbly, but wasn't it R.B. Meiser that originated the "Switch Rod" concept 30 years ago? Or am I wrong, just curious about the history.

Humppphhh...thought you were talking Switch rods??!!

Since Beulah was the first company to introduce the Modern day Switch rod to the market place and now basically all major manufactureres have folled that path, you might want to see Generation 2,the Beulah Platinum Switch rods now released...elegant finishes, very well built,especially light in hand and responsive as you might expect....

We will have these at the Fly Fishing Show in January of course but have a stock of them on hand for those wanting such toys...

C

With all due respect and humbly, but wasn't it R.B. Meiser that originated the "Switch Rod" concept 30 years ago? Or am I wrong, just curious about the history.

As far as my history goes back I believe your right Doc.....I do know that if you are venturing in the switch or two-handed world your doing yourself a disservice by not test driving a Meiz.

As far as my history goes back I believe your right Doc.....I do know that if you are venturing in the switch or two-handed world your doing yourself a disservice by not test driving a Meiz.

Actually Bob didn't introduce the Modern Switch rod into the market under his name,although he did make and design under his name but not for the general market or marketing,however,he ,in conjunction with Beulah did indeed work together to get the Beulah Switch Rods to the major market place , a first of course, under the Beulah banner. ANd we all can now see what that effort has accomplished for all to enjoy. Knowing what effort went into designing the modern switch rods is a real treat in ideas and pushing the limits on conceived norms.

Bob makes a brilliant rod and understands better than any I have seen the needs of the Pacific North West fly fisher...but there is so much more on this planet.

If you want to test drive a few rods then make sure you keep in mind the New Vision Cult Double Handers...the New Beulah Platinum 12'4" and 13'8" rods...the needs of the Two Handed fly fisher is getting much more universal with the developement of these great rods , these rods are crossing many boundaries once thought to be the realm of the 15 and 16' Spey Rods. we will have these when we attend the fly fishing show in January and all are welcome to play with them and even take them out to the water if it isn't too thick>>>

C

I've heard a lot of good things about both the rods you mentioned. Will definitely love to try them out, the show is always a high point of the year. This area of the sport is ever changing and it's wonderful to see as it evolves with various companies and new cutting edge products. There was a time when only a few of us used a double handler for trout (shocking). Now there are groups all over in very non typical venues chasing species not normally associated with the style. Not that I don't use single handlers because I do along with bamboo. But back to MykIsss's question If I was you I've do the show and try before you buy, a great place to compare.

Actually Bob didn't introduce the Modern Switch rod into the market under his name,although he did make and design under his name but not for the general market or marketing,however,he ,in conjunction with Beulah did indeed work together to get the Beulah Switch Rods to the major market place , a first of course, under the Beulah banner. ANd we all can now see what that effort has accomplished for all to enjoy. Knowing what effort went into designing the modern switch rods is a real treat in ideas and pushing the limits on conceived norms.

Bob makes a brilliant rod and understands better than any I have seen the needs of the Pacific North West fly fisher...but there is so much more on this planet.

If you want to test drive a few rods then make sure you keep in mind the New Vision Cult Double Handers...the New Beulah Platinum 12'4" and 13'8" rods...the needs of the Two Handed fly fisher is getting much more universal with the developement of these great rods , these rods are crossing many boundaries once thought to be the realm of the 15 and 16' Spey Rods. we will have these when we attend the fly fishing show in January and all are welcome to play with them and even take them out to the water if it isn't too thick>>>

C

I can remember doing the first Cdn Fly Fishing SHow in Calgary and bringing along about 8 Two Handers as well as spey casting on one of the ponds...it's a bit funny looking back now at the strange looks people offered when we displayed the techniques. However,the spey and switch lines available today are magnificant and in fact changing the entire fly fishing line range on the planet.FYI the same degree of interest was openly displayed in Ontario as well and even into the Maritimes where even today these stubborn individuals(of which I am one) are stuck in a time warp of necessity over function. For the past 3 years we have been doing small gatherings in the East and finally making an impact.

I can remember a 16' Bruce and Walker got some serious looks and the 14' Loop Yellow,wonderful

comments we got from show attendees when they looked at these long rods was"do you use these for Halibut?" or "those are long gear rods!?" of course these were even more rarely picked up...Today the storyhas completely changed and wisely so...using a small Two Hander is a brillinat affair on your larger rivers like the Bow...Switch Rods are ideal for that crossover .

We are part of a great and passionate sport...during the upcoming show we are going to bring along lots of old Hardy gear and some new as well..I will have a Switch Rod from Hardy dating back to the '70s and maybe a Cane One if I can borrow it.

enjoy the weather

C

Hello My friends in Calgary and on the Island.

*With all due respect and humbly, but wasn't it R.B. Meiser that originated the "Switch Rod" concept 30 years ago? Or am I wrong, just curious about the history.^

I know Bob Meiser and a great guy he is, i know like us all,,,,,,, he is getting on a bit, but i dont think he was around the Highlands of Scotland in the 1880's when Switch rods where first used........... i love Canada , please don't be so American about Speycasting........................... and speycasting history

Gordon.

Sounds like a load of fun, can't wait.

I can remember a 16' Bruce and Walker got some serious looks and the 14' Loop Yellow,wonderful

comments we got from show attendees when they looked at these long rods was"do you use these for Halibut?" or "those are long gear rods!?" of course these were even more rarely picked up...Today the storyhas completely changed and wisely so...using a small Two Hander is a brillinat affair on your larger rivers like the Bow...Switch Rods are ideal for that crossover .

We are part of a great and passionate sport...during the upcoming show we are going to bring along lots of old Hardy gear and some new as well..I will have a Switch Rod from Hardy dating back to the '70s and maybe a Cane One if I can borrow it.

enjoy the weather

C

Hay Gordon, hoping all is well with you, nice to hear from you. Would be cool to see a picture of a real Scottish Switch rod. History is funny although we often run headlong with the "new" it really isn't.

Hello My friends in Calgary and on the Island.

*With all due respect and humbly, but wasn't it R.B. Meiser that originated the "Switch Rod" concept 30 years ago? Or am I wrong, just curious about the history.^

I know Bob Meiser and a great guy he is, i know like us all,,,,,,, he is getting on a bit, but i dont think he was around the Highlands of Scotland in the 1880's when Switch rods where first used........... i love Canada , please don't be so American about Speycasting........................... and speycasting history

Gordon.

Hey SilverDoctor,

All is well here in Speyside........ if a little cold, -20 and loads of snow, Global warming they say.

I just get a little GURNEY as we say here, its nothing really just that most of what is being claimed as new or invented in the last few years is really much much older .....as you know.

Alot of developement in Speycasting goes back to the 1880's 1900, when it really started to become more and more popular for a few reasons, one being that fishing up until then was only for the very rich land owners who controlled all the Salmon fishing and kept it private for thier sport and for a few wealthy friends, much like the shooting season.

To cut a long story short, most Ghillie's jobs were handed down Father to son, and short double-handled rods came about, not easy to get a kid started on a 16ft Greenheart rod.

Switch rods in Speycasting History were designed for Switch casting which at the time was considered a rival for Speycasting , the rods were not any smaller but softer, a greenheart rod might be three sections but often the sections were different lenghts to get the action you wanted.

I know that all the governing bodies in Speycasting, say a switch cast is a cast without change of direction, but dare i say it....... they are wrong.

I know the term Switch rods is now used differently, but thats were it came from............... a long winded kinda answer, can you tell its -20 and i'm sitting at the computer staying warm.

Hopefully i will get back to the Bow and we can just go fish.

Cheers Gordon.

Hey SilverDoctor,

All is well here in Speyside........ if a little cold, -20 and loads of snow, Global warming they say.

I just get a little GURNEY as we say here, its nothing really just that most of what is being claimed as new or invented in the last few years is really much much older .....as you know.

Alot of developement in Speycasting goes back to the 1880's 1900, when it really started to become more and more popular for a few reasons, one being that fishing up until then was only for the very rich land owners who controlled all the Salmon fishing and kept it private for thier sport and for a few wealthy friends, much like the shooting season.

To cut a long story short, most Ghillie's jobs were handed down Father to son, and short double-handled rods came about, not easy to get a kid started on a 16ft Greenheart rod.

Switch rods in Speycasting History were designed for Switch casting which at the time was considered a rival for Speycasting , the rods were not any smaller but softer, a greenheart rod might be three sections but often the sections were different lenghts to get the action you wanted.

I know that all the governing bodies in Speycasting, say a switch cast is a cast without change of direction, but dare i say it....... they are wrong.

I know the term Switch rods is now used differently, but thats were it came from............... a long winded kinda answer, can you tell its -20 and i'm sitting at the computer staying warm.

Hopefully i will get back to the Bow and we can just go fish.

Cheers Gordon.

Any hard water over there? You are correct about the Switch rod..I have several from the old country that I will be bringing to Calgary in January..One is a damn fine cane Rod from Sharpes...a Hardy Glass rod and may havae my hands on a Greenheart type...haven't seen it yet....but the same fellow has a Gold Perfect that he has had since the '60s dating back to 1890 or so...apparently near new...don't think I want to pay for it but would love to have it in the case at the show...

C

post-1701-1292038006.jpg

Hey Mr C,

Got a bit of snow here, thankfully its getting a bit warmer, talking about old rods i now have one of the rarest Fly rods in the world, an original Grant Vibration owned and fished by Alexander Grant himself while he worked for Lord Burton at Dochfour, he gave it to one of the Ghillies on the River, was past on to another and i bought it off him as he had retired from Dochfour but still lives on the Estate.

I think there can only be a handfully in the world outside the museum, i am after the reel that he used on the rod, hopefully i will have that soooooon.

Happy Xmas To you, wee Val and everybody in Calgary/

Gordo.

post-335-1292109846.jpg

I see from the line post that mykiss has picked up the 7119 and jdangler has the 5119. Are these actually switch rods that you would ever cast overhead with? Isn't the idea that you could potentially do both? The Decho 4119 is the same length and is definitely a spey rod, not a switch. Most switches seem to be around the 10' - 10'5" range. Why not call these TCX x119 a spey rather than a switch because the length is definitely there (not saying that just because a rod is long it is a spey). Especially because Sage's other switch, the Z-Axis model, is 10 ft. There must be a special switch taper in the blank or something magical.

I've cast my DH 4119 single handed and it sucks haha but I also have a loop 7112 switch and I don't like casting that thing overhand either... Also I'm not complaining about the TCX or anything, just curious and don't want to study for my finals haha Can't wait for the next spey-o-rama in the spring!!

Lots of guys on the coast use switch rods for two hand overhead casting off the beach. As for whether or not a rod is a "switch" rod I think people get way too hung up on naming and categorizing things. If the length and weight of the rod match your needs then who cares what it's called.

• Like 1

You can cast a spey rod overhand as well if you really want to, can bomb it a mile, just a lot more efficient to cast it spey style. Nothing is fixed, use the rods how ever it suits you, hell, you can cast the average 9" single hander spey style well also, which I often do if it makes sense as the best cast for a given situation.

You can cast a spey rod overhand as well if you really want to, can bomb it a mile, just a lot more efficient to cast it spey style.

When I was at Alaska West there was a Finnish guy doing just that with a 14' rod. He'd use a single spey to get the line straight out in front of him then pick it up and overhead it to the other bank on a run called pipeline since there was tons of backcast room. Unfortunately he managed to cast a little too far once and snagged his fly on some brush as seen in the pic...

web.jpg

When I was at Alaska West there was a Finnish guy doing just that with a 14' rod. He'd use a single spey to get the line straight out in front of him then pick it up and overhead it to the other bank on a run called pipeline since there was tons of backcast room. Unfortunately he managed to cast a little too far once and snagged his fly on some brush as seen in the pic...

web.jpg

Don't you just hate it, when you cast to far.............. :D