Fly Fusion Forums

Luuuuv "the Classic Stuff" Don't You ??

jack

Received a prototype "Islander Classic" today and have to share.

This is Prototype # 023, non-anodized, tumbled and polished, exactly as all Islanders are prior to anodizing.

The "Classic" is a traditional "click & pawl" mid-line weight reel, with a No. 6 spool for 5, 6, 7wt spey lines and a separate

No. 8 spool for 7, 8, 9 wt lines. I will be loading the reel with a wide variety of SA spey lines over the next few days and will post the capacities of the No. 6 spool for those who may be interested.

The marginally adjustable drag pressure is through the frame side 5 position drag knob. As in all traditional "click/pawl" drags, additional drag pressure can be set by removing the clicker spring and bending the arms inward a bit.

This is again, a traditional bushing reel, using two Oilite bushings in the spool, riding on a polished stainless spindle.

-No, I have no idea what the MSRP will be

-No I have no idea when the "Classic" will be available.

But I will advise just as soon as I have those answers.

The production colour will be "Slate Grey/Blue" sort of like this production IR4:

IR_4_LA_Slate.jpg

THIS is what the non-anodized "Islander Classic" looks like:

Picture_004.jpg

and the "gold effect":

Picture_009.jpg

j

Love it except for the hotspur-style double handles - my knuckles hurt just looking at them. Nice to see someone other than Hardy making a nice spey-sized clicker at a reasonable price, especially a Canadian company.

So is the weight of both spools the same or is that the weight with the No. 8 spool?

I'll send it to you just as soon as I'm done with it, SD !! :)

I should have added this exerpt from the accompanying letter:

""We are looking for some comments and constructive criticism on the reel with regard to aesthetics and operation..."

info@islander.com "

j

I should have added this exerpt from the accompanying letter:

""We are looking for some comments and constructive criticism on the reel with regard to aesthetics and operation..."

info@islander.com "

j

Good info. Two more questions - is the reel fully caged? and is the spool rim exposed for palming?

Good info. Two more questions - is the reel fully caged? and is the spool rim exposed for palming?

Back side:

Picture_006.jpg

Spool/Frame view:

Picture_010.jpg

As you can see, the spool has a nice large, smooth palming rim.

I set the clicker drag on maximum and it IS loud! Everyone on the flow for 500 metres will know it's an Islander !! :envy:

j