Fly Fusion Forums

Best 5 Flies

Remps

If you were to bring only 5 flies out to a mountain stream what would they be?

Mine would have to be:

1. Deer hair caddis

2. BWO

3. Humpy

4. Stonefly nymph

5. Double bunny

I am not trying to get your secret flies, just for fun.

Pike

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nymphing for cutties? What's next...indicator fishing for Steelhead..scented flies for permit?

:loster::thumbdown:

Ran into a fellow a couple months ago on a cuttie stream that shall remain unnamed and he commented to me how the cutties kept trying to eat his indicator... :clapping:

The ironic part about nymphing cutties is that it is not as productive as the dry fly (or streamer).

So really.....why??

Why not just use a hopper dropper? When the cutty eats your "indicator" you still win.

He lost me after he told me that story.

Probably one of those guys you see nymphing the bow @ 5:00 am the first week of July..

Or maybe one of those guys you see nymphing the Racehorse at 12 noon on July 7.

I watched 5 guys walk up Racehorse a couple years back on the second weekend of July. They were geared up with every gadget imaginable....including bobbers on every rod.

It was weird.......seeing a bobber in that place at that time is like seeing a flasher. At first it shocks the hell out of ya, and then all you can do is laugh.

Or maybe one of those guys you see nymphing the Racehorse at 12 noon on July 7.

I watched 5 guys walk up Racehorse a couple years back on the second weekend of July. They were geared up with every gadget imaginable....including bobbers on every rod.

It was weird.......seeing a bobber in that place at that time is like seeing a flasher. At first it shocks the hell out of ya, and then all you can do is laugh.

I believe this is how most guys learn now and get keyed in on only one method, trying no other method?

My 5 flies for small streams;

-Stimulator

-Green Drake

-Elk Hair caddis

-Clouser- Big one

-Bow River Bugger- Big one

I think you'd have more "wins" with a hopper-hopper.

not always, that's when trying new flies helps. Sometimes people start early in the season or early morning and have a little more luck with nymphs on the dropper. Ilike fishing two dries during the mid-day too.

not always, that's when trying new flies helps. Sometimes people start early in the season or early morning and have a little more luck with nymphs on the dropper. Ilike fishing two dries during the mid-day too.

Two dry flies.....that's just greedy.

Chernobyl Ant

Skid Beeeatch

Klinkhammers

Pink Thing

Double Bunny