Fly Fusion Forums

Breaking Tfo's

Guest bigbadbrent

My two-piece 6w hasn't broken yet, but I don't use it as often as my Scott 5w. I've heard of others who have broken them though. It's $25 to receive a new section? Now you are scaring into taking a backup to my TFO 3w tommorow.

How common is it that you break your rod, i recieved my TFO CrX for my birthday one year ago..(one of many, i have about 5 in the household). Now, since recieving this rod, i've broken it numerous times (i mean, 5-6 times) and it's great that the break policy is so easy, but after a while, the 25 bucks start to add up, i think the only piece on my rod that is still original is the bottom 1/4. I broke it again today, while trying to net a fish, and it snapped all the way down the 3rd piece, so pretty much the middle of the rod, which seems just plain strange spot to break.....do i just keep getting unlucky, or is this a common problem?

What weight is the rod?

Guest bigbadbrent

5 weight. I use it more then any of my other rods, but whenever i've broken any of those. it was my own complete fault (broke a 4 weight when my dog stepped on it, and broke a 6 when i smacked it with a streamer the cast after landing a fish..)...Just seems wierd to me that this one keeps breaking...and on a very very large fish

Last year I broke the top few inches off my 6wt when I got snagged on a small patch of weeds and pulled a little hard. I don't remember damaging it before and had already caught several fish on it that day. It was replaced easy enough but I can see your point once it starts happening a few times.

I broke the 2nd section from the butt on a 9wt TFO a couple of years ago. Was a little shocked but when I took it to them they didn't charge me the 25 bucks and said that they've had manufacturing mixture issues in the past.

3 times...2 different rods. One not charged for as it was a guide that came unglued and therefore a manufacturing defect.

All's I'm gonna say is this: you get what you pay for. I'm not saying TFO are junk, but let's face it. They're affordable, their warranty is good and there's a price to pay for that.

Well I broke my 4 wt TFO 2 piece, when brining in a nice size grayling, but that was after a small streamer smacked it on a back cast (chuck and duck) I now have several other TFO's and all are in good condition but then again they don't see much action,,,,,, all I can say is send it back and hope that one day it will hang on,,,,,,

my TiCr 7wt 4 pc does not have an original piece, with each section being replaced once. broken tip playing in the trees, eye came off second section, and I stepped on the bottom pieces (don't ask). 4 X 26.50 = 104.00 ... less than half the price of the rod, I think its a good value rod and the service for warrenty is unbeatable.. ..Im waiting for warrenty on a Sage right now..

Just got my GLX back from G loomis first time it broke and I used it almost exclusively for well over a year and a lot. All they asked for was just the 5-6inch section with all the rod specs which is cheaper for shipping..... i got back a whole new rod and sock cost 60$ and shipping...... so about 80 bucks for a new rod that retails starting at 645 US....... I still have all 3 of 4 sections from the first rod which had just the one break 1 inch from the tip might toss a replacement tip on there just in case I break the new one while on a trip and i need a temporary back up...... of course if I break the butt section this will not be possible..... I was fairly impressed with the service as the rod was gone for less the a month...... I think actually about 3 weeks...... warranty fee is higher but the rods capabilities are great....... I know this thread was about tfos but I figured I would mention my loomis as 1 break in a year at 80 bucks for total replacement is pretty decent compared to some people with several breaks over a similar period at 25 bucks per piece replacement....... The great advantage of the TFO though is obviously the ability to just go in with the broken piece and out with a fresh one.

Snapped the tip off my 8 weight two piece TFO Wednesday morning last week getting ready to go out for the afternoon. Had purchased the rod in 2000 and given others equipment faux pas I had not had an incident with this rod to this point. Any way gathered the pieces and went down to " the plant" here in Calgary where they quickly replaced the piece while I made my $ 26.50 donation. I certainly have no complaints as I was on my merry way in 5 minutes with a no hassle exchange.

Guest Rocknbugs

I have a 2 piece six weight that I let my kids use or shall I say drag across the parking lot, step on and smack tree's with as they walk past. I also let whoever I take to the lake that doesnt flyfish use it. It gets beat up brutally, smashed and trashed but still has not broke, I think it is the indestructible rod.

My summer rod is a St. Croix, so it doesn't break. Buy one without a warranty and accidental snappings decrease immediately.

HAHA, thats funny, but yet so true

It is a TFO you have to remember, they break, thats just the way it is

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbadbrent

tossed a Sage Z-axis and TCR today..man that TCR is tough to cast, ultra-ultra fast, would be shooting rockets off of it if you overlined it..

looks like my new full setup will be a:

# 5 9.0 Sage Z-axis, Tioga reel (holy indestructible batman), GPX line...

gideeyup

# 5 9.0 Sage Z-axis, Tioga reel (holy indestructible batman), GPX line...

Nice setup!

The only rod I've ever had issues with was a broken tip on my first rod, a cheapy Pflueger, which wasn't under warranty, and broke taking it out of the tube...my fault in a total moment of stupidity. I've been pretty lucky with my Sage and Loomis rods that do have a decent warranty, but also hit the wallet a bit harder...hope 'Murphy' didn't hear that.

Just bought a Tioga Magnum for my Sage DS 1090 salmon rod, awesome quality for an affordable reel, and drag that could stop a truck. I'd love to replace my DS 690 with a Z-axis.

As for the TFO's my buddy and his wife have about 6 of these rods between the two of them, and have had to get a few of them warrantied. They might be more prone to breakage, but for the quality/price and the ease of getting them warrantied, I'd say that you can't go wrong with one, especially if you're just starting out, or need a rod that you might only use a few times a year...or fish with your kids or a dog!

Guest bigbadbrent

tioga's are probably the best reel on the market for the price, and the amount i fish, they should keep up without breakin the budget...

maybe i'll take care of this line, will last me more then a season :P

wont be getting it for quite awhile

Broke my 6 weight twice, second time on the third cast. 4 weight currently has a zip tie holding the cork together. As others said 25 bucks and an hour beats 60 bucks + shipping and going on 5 weeks for my sage.

60 bucks!! ?? did u go straight through sage? mine only cost like 30 maybe less including shipping

• 2 months later...
Guest bigbadbrent

Finally brought this rod in today and talked to the owner. He thought i was being unfair with this post, and after thinking about it, i think i am being unfair. I posted this in anger, as i had broken a rod (doesnt matter what rod it is, if you break it, you're not going to be happy).

Just to put everything into perspective, while i do break rods often (probably more then most of the people on this board combined) chances are its because i fish over 100 trips a year, and all of the breakages have been operator error (i can tell you that i'd be a lot more concerned hitting a 700 dollar rod with a fly or splitshot then a 300 dollar ones)

By no means did i mean to degrade the company (i own 4 of their rods, and love every one of them)...Their new Axiom rod is unbelievable, played with it today and was REALLY impressed..Maybe something else for the future ;)

I broke my 5 wt TICrX in Alaska after bringing in a dozen pink salmon ranging from 3 -5 lbs so it did alright. All this after I broke a friends 8 wt Sage. By the end of the 2 days I was down to using my Dads back up spinning outfit. From now on I'll bring at least 2 spare rods per trip. As soon as I got home I paid the $25.00 and was back in business right away with the TFO where the Sage took a month to get back. So yes, it's cheap but when you can get back on the stream quick it's a nice option.

PAV

My 5wt 4pc Signature broke first time out, as I was walking down to the river. I waved it in the air a bit, and the tip broke. Clearly something happened to it at the store, or something, but it was replaced without a fee, and the new one has been great so far. I'm a klutz, so I expect to break rods, so I will be going with TFO again, probably a Finesse in a 3 for my next one.