Fly Fusion Forums

Avery

He is the cheapest, greasiest, dirtiest, most low class piece of garbage that I think has ever played hockey in my life time. Its one thing after the other and he does it with zero class! Hopefully someday he will get suspended for life or someone will KO him while his back is turned. Act like your not going to fight and then just attack the guy, he is such a piece of crap and until he kills or severly injures someone nothing will happen to him.

Sad part is Edmonton doesn't play them again this year.. so no revenge for them. BUT.. you never know.. maybe Smid is buddies with someone on one of the other teams Avery has to play still.

Avery is the kind of guy that should have gotten that butt end that Brent Burns dished out the other night.

maybe Smid is buddies with someone on one of the other teams Avery has to play still.

I doubt it. Did you hear Alex Burrows' comment? Something along the line that he wasn't terribly upset since he really doesn't like Smid anyway. While it's true that Burrows isn't exactly an angel, I suspect his sentiments aren't unique around the league. I'm certainly not condoning what Avery did. He has no place in the league and why he's still playing is beyond me. Just saying Smid may not be a member in good standing of the NHL players mutual admiration society...

Guest Sundancefisher

Funny...I think it was a cheap shot but in polling my fellow hockey fans at work...it is almost a 50/50 split.

One group says it was a cheap shot.

The other group says Smid was an idiot for demanding a fight...waiting around...then turning his back on his opponent he challenged first.

Avery's initial check/hit along the boards was good and clean. No reason to fight over that.

Anyone who played and doesnt think that was dirty obviously have no honour. Calling Smid and idiot for turning his back is like saying that a girl deserves to get raped for wearing a mini skirt! When a guy turns his back you dont sucker punch him, Avery new he would get tuned so he went the Avery way the cheap and dirty way! I do agree with the fact that his hit was clean but guys have to fight all time for hitting players teamates. I think its time for the league to make an example out of this guy and send him packing, there is no room in sports for guys like him. He is like a back stabbing punk out on the street that would shoot you in the back.

Avery is a very talented player and fills the role intended, period.

If this was not the case, he simply would not be playing in the NHL.

He creates the kind of rivalries that the public craves in sports. You better bet that IF the Rangers were playing Edmonton again this year that all eyes would be watching.

Sport needs a villian and he is willing to fill those shoes.

All you pacifists on here that watch hockey, flip the channel back to Glee.

He creates the kind of rivalries that the public craves in sports. You better bet that IF the Rangers were playing Edmonton again this year that all eyes would be watching.

Am I the only one that is drawing some parallels here?

A

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You should campaign the Rangers GM and tell him why you are right and he is wrong.

Armchair meet quarterback..

Edit- The stats speak for themselves- in the games where Avery has displayed goonery his team has won the majority of the time..

Double edit- For those of you that call this a "sucker punch" watch the replay again. Smid drops his gloves immediately after Avery does, they are facing each other and Avery bops him one. Definately NOT a sucker punch!

I kinda agree with this.

You should campaign the Rangers GM and tell him why you are right and he is wrong.

Armchair meet quarterback..

Edit- The stats speak for themselves- in the games where Avery has displayed goonery his team has won the majority of the time..

Double edit- For those of you that call this a "sucker punch" watch the replay again. Smid drops his gloves immediately after Avery does, they are facing each other and Avery bops him one. Definately NOT a sucker punch!

While you're doing that.. please ask the GM's in Los Angeles and Dallas too. Sather is not highly regarded around the league for making smart moves.

You can be looking at a guy and still get sucker punched. When you ask a guy if he wants to fight a few times and he says NO, why would you expect him to suddenly lunge at you at punch you in the mouth?! I agree that Smid should've been paying more attention, but it was definitely a sucker punch. One of his own teammates said that for crying out loud!

Avery is talented and fills a role, no doubt. However the problem with him is that he often takes it too far. There's a reason why the majority of the PLAYERS (including teammates) can't stand him.. and always make reference to "the code" when talking about him. Waving your stick in front of a goalies face (to the point where the NHL has to make a new rule in your name), referring to another players girlfriend as "sloppy seconds", saying NO you're not going to fight a guy and then punching him in the mouth. Come on guy..

Anyways.. bottom line is the next guy won't make the same mistake. Take the 2 minutes for instigation and pound the tar outta the guy. The rest of the players will love you for it.

While you're doing that.. please ask the GM's in Los Angeles and Dallas too. Sather is not highly regarded around the league for making smart moves.

You can be looking at a guy and still get sucker punched. When you ask a guy if he wants to fight a few times and he says NO, why would you expect him to suddenly lunge at you at punch you in the mouth?! I agree that Smid should've been paying more attention, but it was definitely a sucker punch. One of his own teammates said that for crying out loud!

Avery is talented and fills a role, no doubt. However the problem with him is that he often takes it too far. There's a reason why the majority of the PLAYERS (including teammates) can't stand him.. and always make reference to "the code" when talking about him. Waving your stick in front of a goalies face (to the point where the NHL has to make a new rule in your name), referring to another players girlfriend as "sloppy seconds", saying NO you're not going to fight a guy and then punching him in the mouth. Come on guy..

Anyways.. bottom line is the next guy won't make the same mistake. Take the 2 minutes for instigation and pound the tar outta the guy. The rest of the players will love you for it.

Answer me this;

-You say that Smid did not want to fight? Yet he flung his gloves off as he faced Avery milliseconds after Avery did. This is a fact, watch the video.

-So now you have two players facing each other that both have their gloves off and Avery gives him a quick bop, how can you consider this a "sucker punch"?

The #1 way to say "lets go" without saying a word in hockey is to fling your gloves off. Both players had done this, and facing each other before a lick was thrown. Smid has fighting reflexes like a 90 year old grandmother, this is also is what the video shows.

I do agree that Avery sometimes walks on the wrong side of the line, example is the comments to Phaneuf. But to say that the punch to Smid was a sucker punch is clearly not the case.

Edit- My example of a `sucker punch`in this situation would be if Smid did not drop his gloves and all of a sudden Avery popped him one. That would clearly be a sucker punch. Fling your gloves off and you`d better have the goods to back up your actions, as its fight time once you commit to fighting with the glove fling. Curious what other `sign`Avery should have waited for?

I can see why you like Sean Avery so much Giovanne, both of you run your mouth and like taking cheap shots at other people. While I agree Avery does play a role as an agitator well that still doesnt hide the fact that he purposefully waited until Smid was not looking to punch him. Cheap shot, Sucker punch call it what you will but the fact remains that Sean Avery does not deserve respect in the NHL for antics like this.

Giovanne,

I have a feeling you may not have seen the same video clip as some of the rest of us. I've seen two different clips of this incident. The one on TSN where the camera man is mostly following the play, and then switches back to Smid and Avery after the punch.. Avery is already on top of Smid. They then show the reply where you only see maybe 2-3 seconds before Avery punches him.

*edit* This one: Starts at about 1:15..

There's a second clip from a different camera angle where you see it from start to finish. Smid challenges Avery a few times and Avery seems uninterested. He looks back at the play a few times and then just when Smid figures he's not going to fight, Avery renegs and rushes him.

*edit* Here: Starts at about 1:12..

IMO.. these 2 videos give 2 completely different perspectives... and I have a feeling those that don't think it was a sucker punch have only seen the first clip. It's simple.. if you're going to fight, don't pretend like you're NOT going to fight and then all of a sudden rush the guy. It's cowardly, and yes, most of us consider it a sucker punch. I have a feeling that most guys who have actually played the game at a 'high level' (I'm not one of them) would consider this a sucker punch.. and gutless. Would like to hear "Wanny's" opinion on this one actually..

I can see why you like Sean Avery so much Giovanne, both of you run your mouth and like taking cheap shots at other people. While I agree Avery does play a role as an agitator well that still doesnt hide the fact that he purposefully waited until Smid was not looking to punch him. Cheap shot, Sucker punch call it what you will but the fact remains that Sean Avery does not deserve respect in the NHL for antics like this.

So I don't agree with the whole sucker punch comment and you start to run your mouth... Show me the cheap shots at other people big talker? Funny how we obvoiusly disagree on a GAME and you choose make it personal?

I do agree that Avery steps over the line on occasion which I have already acknowledged. I think Avery adds to the game from an entertainment perspective. As well he is playing in the NHL, so there must be a quality that the GM of the Ranger likes hence his employment. I am just presenting the facts that show it was not a sucker punch. Drop your gloves in a hockey game and you get punched. Before Avery threw a punch they had both engaged each other, the staredown , gloves off then the punch. Avery was quicker- Too bad for the big, slow Smid... As well who knows what was said the minutes and seconds before the incident?

No one likes Avery, yet so many talk of him. The League wants him to remain because of this fact. Other than the playoffs regular season NHL hockey is like watching paint dry. The league needs this kind of bullshit, he will get a wrist slap at best from the league. Guys like Avery, Hextall, Pronger, Lemieux are as important to the game as Crosby and Gretzky.

Edit- Ryan I looked at the video you posted and I still say it was not a sucker punch. Just because they did not do the ice tango and size each other up skating in circles for a bit before the first punch has no relevance on this- Not a sucker punch. If I was a coach or GM I would want Avery on my team. No doubt he would be a difficult palyer to handle, but worth it with the right manager IMO. Have you ever heard Mike Keenan tell some of the stories about Hextall? Way more of a hot head than Avery ever will be and one of the most popular players of all time.

Guest Sundancefisher
Giovanne,

I have a feeling you may not have seen the same video clip as some of the rest of us. I've seen two different clips of this incident. The one on TSN where the camera man is mostly following the play, and then switches back to Smid and Avery after the punch.. Avery is already on top of Smid. They then show the reply where you only see maybe 2-3 seconds before Avery punches him.

*edit* This one: Starts at about 1:15..

There's a second clip from a different camera angle where you see it from start to finish. Smid challenges Avery a few times and Avery seems uninterested. He looks back at the play a few times and then just when Smid figures he's not going to fight, Avery renegs and rushes him.

*edit* Here: Starts at about 1:12..

IMO.. these 2 videos give 2 completely different perspectives... and I have a feeling those that don't think it was a sucker punch have only seen the first clip. It's simple.. if you're going to fight, don't pretend like you're NOT going to fight and then all of a sudden rush the guy. It's cowardly, and yes, most of us consider it a sucker punch. I have a feeling that most guys who have actually played the game at a 'high level' (I'm not one of them) would consider this a sucker punch.. and gutless. Would like to hear "Wanny's" opinion on this one actually..

Ya know...you know that after seeing the different angle...it does look like Smid saw it coming and just did not react or dodge fast enough prior to the standard shirt lock maneuver. I say now I think this is a gray area.

I would say based upon the facts...

Avery had a fair and honest and good body check

Smid challenged Avery to a fight...Smid is a big, big dude.

Avery watched the play to see if there is more value to playing hockey for the team than fighting...kinda smart hockey mind

Then when he seemed to see the opportunity to now fight he dropped the gloves and moved in.

Smid was watching

Smid saw him coming

Smid dropped his gloves prior to the punch

Smid moved slow.

Smid got decked

Avery punched him on the ice...that I take exception to.

Otherwise...Avery was not the instigator...but he certainly cleaned up.

IMHO.

As for making this discussion personal. That is just silliness. Let's debate...not fight. Fighting is for professional hockey players. We are master debaters!

:goodvsevil():

I still think its a big river and boats that get too close should have water balloons chucked at them.

Oh where were we,oh ya borderline sucker punch.Its all good, its what keeps hockey exciting.

Also whats the rule when goalies go behind the net to play the puck?Nobody hits them.