Fly Fusion Forums

Waders – Essential Equipment For A New Fly Fisher?

mtnlake

buy an inexpensive or good used pair, you will not regret it.

starting out not having waders and not being able to cast very far/with accuracy can severly limit your ability to catch fish. you may not be able to get to where the fish are as often.

which may lead to frustration...etc.

can a beginner build up the necessary skills just by fishing from shore (e.g. the Bow as the main water body to practice)?

I think the answer to your question is yes you can.

Althou a pair of waders would greatly improve your comfort.

Since this is your first post and you are labeling yourself as a beginner I'm guessing its safe to say you are.

Althou I have fly fished (not very well, mind you) before, I started on the Bow last year about this time. I would say 80% of the fish I caught were with cast less than 25ft from the shore, don't think I stepped in the water untill I was quite comfortable spotting water that I knew would hold fish. No need to be stumbling around it the middle of a river in the winter looking for something you can't find.

I would suggest that you do you learning from the shore, once you're catching fish from there, start exploring the middle of the river.

With all that being said, if your gonna be out on the ice shelves a pair of waders would be nice if you all of sudden find yourself in waist deep water and a mile from your car.

Find a buddy for the winter.

Have fun and be careful.

You don't absolutely need waders, you can fish from shore , an awful lot of people I see fishing are standing where the fish are. barnes has a good point about fishing in winter though. I use mine more for crossing short channels to get to spots, keeping dry in the rain and keeping the bum dry when siting for lunch. I often just wear rubber boots.

Waders are a good idea, I find that regardless of having them on or not I always end up in the water even if its just a couple feet. Regardless of the money you spend on them they will leak eventually so go cheap to start but definitely get some, you will get wet without them until you are able to cast longer distance and become more comfortable out there.

You can definitely manage with out waders I have for along time but when you finely go out any get a pair you wonder why you haven't earlier.

I really don't like using waders and the majority of the time a wet wade with some dry fast wading pants. But when it comes to the bow and winter fishing it is a must in my mind. there is always a place where you want to go but cant with out waders.