Fly Fusion Forums

Allcocks Leader Any Info?

Hi Fellow fishers, I recently bought at a yard sale an antique tackle box. Several fly and spin items were in it. I am looking for some info on the items if anyone can help. I have 2 Zenith english gut leaders, still in the package, made by Allcocks of Reditch England. I also have a pack of Allcocks Marvel Leader NO 8056 single selected spanish gut leader in the pack.Also a variety of AA trout flies from redditch england. Any info would be appreciated. Going to hit the Bow tomorrow with my wife. Lookout fish here we come!!!

Hi Fellow fishers, I recently bought at a yard sale an antique tackle box. Several fly and spin items were in it. I am looking for some info on the items if anyone can help. I have 2 Zenith english gut leaders, still in the package, made by Allcocks of Reditch England. I also have a pack of Allcocks Marvel Leader NO 8056 single selected spanish gut leader in the pack.Also a variety of AA trout flies from redditch england. Any info would be appreciated. Going to hit the Bow tomorrow with my wife. Lookout fish here we come!!!

Not with that stuff I hope..

Hold on until you find out the rarity of the flies and leader..

not worried about how much they cost, just that they maybe one of a kind flies, and the leader stuff my not be in any shape to fish.

Post Photos ?

Not with that stuff I hope..

Hold on until you find out the rarity of the flies and leader..

not worried about how much they cost, just that they maybe one of a kind flies, and the leader stuff my not be in any shape to fish.

Post Photos ?

I have no intention on using these to fish. I bought them as a small part of my antique fishing gear collection, and just trying to gather some info on them.

Nice find, most of the old gut leaders where made of silkworm. It's a totally limp leader with so little memory it will forget your name after every cast. I have fished with silkworm gut leaders, tied to (eyeless hooks) gut triple wetfly casts, certainly not on a regular basis but for the experience. The material could only be drawn down to about 4X. It also had a memory problem, which required it being soaked and or kept wet in a leader tin. It kind of looked like a "slinky" when you first went to use it. And when making knots if it was dry, it was rather brittle. although they should be used as nice collectors Items. Post pictures, it's fun to see and collect.

everyman1_1.jpg