Fly Fusion Forums

Busted Flat At Pumphouse

So I'm riding the bike home at the end of the day, and as I ride by the Pumphouse Theatre area I hear voices down along the river. Being the curious individual I am I peek over the chain link fence that has been erected to keep people off the crumbling concrete abutement. There I see three guys sitting on lawn chairs, rods propped up with their bait rigs in the river. I will sometimes give fishermen the benefit of the doubt and provide a heads up that the river is closed. And I have found that flyfishers and spin fishers will respond in a positive manner and leave. Some have even asked where the river is open, and I have given them the proper information. But in all the instances where I have run into bait chuckers they have been beligerent and/or threatening, so nowadays I just call RAP. About two hours later I got the return call from Ranger Bob that he got down there and issued "tickets". :ridemcowboy:

Right. I still see the odd flyfisherman fishing the Northwest stretch of the Bow river in the city at this time of year and in the spring closure time. Losing 4 months of the year to these spawning closures may be too much for some, but since these regs took effect, the fishing has improved greatly in this stretch. It has been worth the improved fishing from June to end September. You cannot fish above the zoo weir on the Bow river after September 30. If you do, you should get a fine. By now, everyone should know the regs up here.

Good work calling it in.

I overheard a disturbing conversation between 2 spin fishermen on the Red Deer tailwater yesterday; Two guys were on the opposite side of the river (sound travels amazingly well over water) and the one guy was describing to his friend the best way to catch spawning browns this time of year. He described a spot with a high bank over a run where many browns have their redds (a spot I am familiar with) and how if you swing a deep running rapala along until you're just over the redd and then "really crank on it so it digs right in to the nest" the big males would strike out of aggression. UNBELIEVABLE! Unfortunately you cant call someone in for describing their poaching technique.

Good thing the fish manage to persevere in spite of these kind of idiots.

Jeff

wow, it's really great to hear stories about douchebags getting issued tickets, way to go Trailhead. I fish this general stretch a ton during the summer so I'm glad to hear there are people out there keeping an eye on things. I've called the RAP line on lots of fisherman, only had one confirmed conviction though. I 'd like to see a few more signs stating the regs in some of the more popular parks and access points in the city. I think if you could point at a sign it might be more convincing too.

Dumb question maybe... I know the river is closed in the NW, but would like to practice my spey casting on a river. I live in the NW close by the river and don't want to drive to FC/above bearspaw to practice if I don't have to. I am sure it is frowned upon but would it be legal to just have no fly on the leader and just casting? I would bring my license but no flies or anything like that, legal or not allowed?

Dumb question maybe... I know the river is closed in the NW, but would like to practice my spey casting on a river. I live in the NW close by the river and don't want to drive to FC/above bearspaw to practice if I don't have to. I am sure it is frowned upon but would it be legal to just have no fly on the leader and just casting? I would bring my license but no flies or anything like that, legal or not allowed?

i believe closed means no line in the water, so u will still get busted if someone call in.

Guest Sundancefisher
i believe closed means no line in the water, so u will still get busted if someone call in.

Also it is unfair to make the fish cops check you as opposed to catching a poacher

;mornCoffee:

I overheard a disturbing conversation between 2 spin fishermen on the Red Deer tailwater yesterday; Two guys were on the opposite side of the river (sound travels amazingly well over water) and the one guy was describing to his friend the best way to catch spawning browns this time of year. He described a spot with a high bank over a run where many browns have their redds (a spot I am familiar with) and how if you swing a deep running rapala along until you're just over the redd and then "really crank on it so it digs right in to the nest" the big males would strike out of aggression. UNBELIEVABLE! Unfortunately you cant call someone in for describing their poaching technique.

Good for them. It's completely legal. Isn't it wonderful that the fishing opportunity exists?

Uh...

Until the RDR Fisheries Mgt Plan is updated and a new set of regs/rules, etc is implemented that's exactly how you have to look at this. The RDR FMP is supposed to be a working, evolving tool, to be updated every 5 years as the river changes.

It was last looked at in 1994.

I had personal, verbal, and email assurances from Vance Buchwold 4 of the past 5 years, to me personally and to the local and Alberta Chapters of TU that the RDR FMP would be reopened. I'm frustrated on this issue and need to get support to force the gov to do their job. Yes, at some point it looks like we'll have to get a campaign together for it. We're sitting on a unique brown trout fishery and an excellent walleye fishery. Of course, if common sense takes over, you wouldn't legally be fishing the upper 5km of the tailwater this time of the year anyway. If brown #s are sensitive and whitefish #s are down, as studies show, wouldn't a proper FMP implement protection of the primary spawning areas? I'll email / call Vance again before we leave for NZ and see where things are at.