Fly Fusion Forums

Silk Line

fruinincalgary

I've recently purchased a vintage split can spey rod, 30's Hardy Hebridean 13'9" and lookin to match it up with a silk line. Typically I would just go pick up the kit from fish tales and dial a rod in, but in the case of silk line I'm sure one doesn't exist. I'm thinkin a ten weight line matched with this rod would be great? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even better if somebody had such a line I could cast?

Is there any store locally that I could purchase it from?

Thanks

Have quite a few silk lines some vintage and some new. My oldest silk was my Grandfathers bought in 1928. Wonder how many modern lines would that long. I fish a number of bamboo rods but don't presently own a Bamboo Spey, had a few in the past good and bad. I am looking though. Is it a spliced rod, most of the lighter better ones are. Your line rating in silk should be written on the side of the rod usually in letters like "G2AF". If you could look for that I can make a recommendation for a manufacturer of lines. The big three are Phoenix Lines, Thebault and Terenzio Silk Fly Lines. If you want you can pm me and we'll chat. By the way Dutchie is chasing Steel for the next week.

• 2 weeks later...
I've recently purchased a vintage split can spey rod, 30's Hardy Hebridean 13'9" and lookin to match it up with a silk line. Typically I would just go pick up the kit from fish tales and dial a rod in, but in the case of silk line I'm sure one doesn't exist. I'm thinkin a ten weight line matched with this rod would be great? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even better if somebody had such a line I could cast?

Is there any store locally that I could purchase it from?

Thanks

nice rod you picked up , just remember these old spey rods were not made for snap T's or any fancy skagit casting , you'll snap em at the joints , you can fish it forever doing nice easy spey casts , a good starting point would be a scandi kit , then weigh a silk line and get close to what you like

i have a couple hardy salmon silk lines that i would let you try out , not for sale ,

for your rod i'd stay away from a brand new silk line as they can run as high as $250 , nothing wrong with a older silk line thats been cared for , i have some i use that are 70 years old , you can get a good mint salmon line in silk for about $100 if you keep your eye's open , or a well used one for around $40 , they last a long time , first thing is to find what you or better what your rod like's and then i'll help you find a line , great rod for skating drys on the bulkley , you'll have a blast when you hook up