Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Warranty

decided to spend saturday on the highwood and had a tramatic experience. Standing there gearing up for a great day on the water and watched the last 8 inches of the tip of my 5 wt. XP fall off while Im lining it :curse: . Must have beena hairline fracture from the previuos outing. Has anyone dealt with Sage regarding warranty replacement. I dont believe i ever sent in the warranty card ( this has never been an issue with the other companies I have dealt with like Islander and Ross) so hopefully not an issue. Any info regarding who and how to send it to sage is much appreciated

yak

They're pretty good to deal with, though I've only dealt with them on rods that were currently in production. Don't know how it is for a discontinued rod like your XP. I just brought the broken section into the shop I bought the rod from and they took care of the rest for me. Just had to pay the warranty/shipping cost. If you bought it online or in another city you can also send it directly to Sage yourself. Info is here: http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/

Print off their warranty form, fill it out, and send the rod in. Turn around time can vary, but is usually pretty good (the few times I've had to send one in). I believe they ask you to send in the entire rod, but in the past, I've only sent in the six or so inches (what ever you can fit in a standard envelope, saves on shipping costs) of the ferrule end of the broken piece. Presumably so they can measure the replacement piece for the best ferrule fit. I've only ever broken the tip or butt (don't ask) section, I think about $100 bucks all said and done. I have never sent a warranty card in.

i just went thru this with no warranty vard sent mine express post for twenty bucks or so paid the fifty to sage for warranty sent the whole rod and case like they asked for and they got my rod back inside of two weeks so i was happy ......just print and fill out their warranty card like they ask at their website .....if its a four peice 9' rod like i have you can get a box that fits perfectly around it at the post office

i just went thru this with no warranty vard sent mine express post for twenty bucks or so paid the fifty to sage for warranty sent the whole rod and case like they asked for and they got my rod back inside of two weeks so i was happy ......just print and fill out their warranty card like they ask at their website .....if its a four peice 9' rod like i have you can get a box that fits perfectly around it at the post office

Thanks very much for all the input . I will contact Sage today and let you all know how it all works out in the end ( Im hoping when I send it the guy at the other end is in a great mood and they decide to upgrade me and send a Z :laugh:). Again, really appreciate the help.

I have a funny warranty story. I broke my 5 wt late May and had Fish Tales send the rod to Sage. They called me 4 weeks later saying that the blank was in, but the courier ran over it, so it's in a few pieces. They sent it back promptly, and now 8 weeks later, I found out Sage sent it to Vancouver for some strange reason. :curse:

Maybe the Sage guys think Vancouver is close to Calgary? Hehe. Can't wait to cast that rod again.

Still, Fish Tales is the easiest way to take care of a Sage warranty.

I don't think the VXP is really much of a secret...

"While Sage says officially that these rods aren’t really ‘the new XP’, pull one of their people aside and they’ll tell you that the taper is a lot like an updated version of the XP taper. Besides, the name can’t be a coincidence, can it? The single handers come from 3 to 10 weight and run $485 to $525. There’s also a 12′9″ 6 weight spey rod and a 13′3″ 7 weight double-hander. George Cook brought the 7 to the Dean this year and said he liked it."

http://www.deneki.com/2010/09/iftd-gear-sa...edington-tibor/