Fly Fusion Forums

Travel Rod Choices. Please Help

Shaner

this coming spring i will be going on a 6 month canoe trip.

I only have space for one rod and it will have to be a small travel rod preferably 6 piece. '

1 does anyone have experince with travel rod brands? any ones you recomend?

2 what weight should i bring. i was thinking 6 wt but i will be in alot of pike rivers and lakes. so possibly a 7. but then again what if im fishing dries....... cant really make up my mind.

if any one knows of a travel rod that is strong but can also give a light presentation then please let me know

shane

I'm no pro, but... Not sure on what quality you are looking for, i.e. how much $ you want to spend, but a decent quality rod at a great price (5 wt available in a 6 piece) is the Redington Classic Trout (CT) series... Medium action so should be able to deliver a dry pretty nicely... @ $160!! I have a CT in a 3 wt and a Redington CPX in a 5 wt and are VERY happy with both for their respective applications (excellent warrantee as well)!

P

id like to get away under 250. i just do not think the 5wt will be enough for all the streamer fishing ill end up doing. also it may be hard to handle a 13 lb pike on the 5 wt as well. preferably id like a 7 wt, but that wont be any good for most of the trout fishing i may be doing...

You can fish dries just fine on a 7 wt. I've used a 7 as my primary rod for years, because it makes changing tactics easy. You can fish dries down to size 18 easily, double nymph rigs and 4-6 inch streamers if want to chase something like pike. It's your choice but if you really only have room for one rod, a 7 will do it.

You could put two different Wt. rods in one rod tube, then all you would need is another reel....

Good one...Hadn't thought about that yet although I'm doing that myself with my rods I'm taking with me to Canada next week.

Good one...Hadn't thought about that yet although I'm doing that myself with my rods I'm taking with me to Canada next week.

Noud,

just a remider to pack all your flies in your luggage and not your carry on ( especially on the way home). A couple of horror stories about people loosing all their flies at customs ( i guess you can potentially hijack a jet with a size 18 parachute adams).

Noud,

just a remider to pack all your flies in your luggage and not your carry on ( especially on the way home). A couple of horror stories about people loosing all their flies at customs ( i guess you can potentially hijack a jet with a size 18 parachute adams).

Thanks for the reminder...I'm taking quite some flies...Wouldn't want to loose them like that. But I understand that they take these precautions. The devastation you could do on a plane with a size 18 parachute adams or worse...A bomber :devilbob:

Luckly you can bring a stainless parker pen on board.

Then you could write notes to the pilot till he dies from boredom.

Or write" bomb on board" on a tissue so the plane turns back.

Or.............things i dont wanna write here that you could do to harm ppl on a plane with a sharp stainless object.

If i whas a pilot i rather would have someone attack me with a size 18 bleu dun then with a stainless parker pen.

Noud dont do silly stuff,remeber you also have the rods from me and Rob with you,carry a plastic pen so the metaldetector wont go off.

Even better put a sharp pencil in your pocket,at the airport they say you cant hurt ppl with it.

And spell your last name,or write it down.

Klaas :lol::lol::lol:

I put the LL Bean 7wt 8 piece rod though it's paces all day today and I have to say it's a mighty fine rod and it casted much better than my 6/7. It's a little on the faster side but it's also very light surprisingly (better than my 2 pc 6/7).

It packs down extremely small so it's real easy to take anywhere. I landed small fish with it and it was no issues other than the hooksets launched them over my shoulder :lol:

thankd for the report. i have been looking at the orvis line. i hear they break easily.... and they do not carry a decent warenty

The LL Bean has pretty much a lifetime warranty and are basically the same as the Orvis. Only problem is that you'll probably have to return broken rods to LL Bean instead of dealing with a local Orvis rep.