Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A New Vise

bowbuster

So.....im in the search for a new vise. I now have a regal and a rensetti apprentice. I want a good rotary vise and have been searching the net for videos and reviews and still cant make a decision. I like the nor vise but also am looking at the barracuda and mongoose but still not sure. So lets hear some good advise all u experienced tyers. $3-350 max. Thanks peeps. I tie a lot of bigger flies also so would like something that will hold some bigger hooks for makos and blue dogs(shark) maybe like 4/0-6/0 but i know thats pushin it unless u buy the optional jaws for some. Thanks again. tight lines..........................................

So.....im in the search for a new vise. I now have a regal and a rensetti apprentice. I want a good rotary vise and have been searching the net for videos and reviews and still cant make a decision. I like the nor vise but also am looking at the barracuda and mongoose but still not sure. So lets hear some good advise all u experienced tyers. $3-350 max. Thanks peeps. I tie a lot of bigger flies also so would like something that will hold some bigger hooks for makos and blue dogs(shark) maybe like 4/0-6/0 but i know thats pushin it unless u buy the optional jaws for some. Thanks again. tight lines..........................................

Go to the Nor-vise web site and check out the jaws and the holding power, Norm has a large salt water set of jaws and there is or was a sale at J Stockard on the Nor-vise sys..

I have the Nor vise and would say that the Nor vise is the way to go. If you call Norm and tell him that you are wanting a vice for large flies only he will most likely sell you the system with just the larger jaws. He is great to work with and will answer all of your questions.

m

You mean you finally retired the HMH. Shame on you.

That is a lot of flies for 2 patterns. :peesout:

eastman,

I've a Barracuda. Had it for about 10 years. Tied several thousand flies on it. Works well. The jaws that came with it have 2 hook pockets for holding very large hooks. I also have a midge set of jaws for hooks <18's.

Don

Thanks for the input guys. No nore vise haters yet? hmmmm. a lot of them in other threads ive read on other sites. Ya don, the barracuda looks awesome with lots of room in the back for the bigger flies. Still not sure tho. Deff between the nor vise and the barracuda altho the mongoose looks cool. Any one have experience with the J-vise.

Thanks for the input guys. No nore vise haters yet? hmmmm. a lot of them in other threads ive read on other sites. Ya don, the barracuda looks awesome with lots of room in the back for the bigger flies. Still not sure tho. Deff between the nor vise and the barracuda altho the mongoose looks cool. Any one have experience with the J-vise.

We have been using the mongoose since it first came out.Have cranked out 100s of 4/0 pike flies right down to #22.Not as speedy as the nore vise at rotary tying but it does work very well.The jaws show no sign of wear after years of abuse.For a all around vise i would definately find one to try out.

You mean you finally retired the HMH. Shame on you.

That is a lot of flies for 2 patterns. :peesout:

Tim,

The HMH was bought in about 1976 or so and has been used to tie >25,000 flies. Figured I'd try a rotary type. Been pleased with the result.

And two patterns - you mean that there is more than Royal Coachman and Black Gnats?

Don