Fly Fusion Forums

Dropper Question

jasonvilly

So I was fishing the Bow this morning and thought I would try a dropper for the first time. I had a Caddis up front and put a copper john about 6 inches behind it. I caught a little rainbow which was exciting.

However after that it seems that my copper john would get tangled quite a bit. Is there a different casting technique used when using a dropper to avoid these tangles. I tried casting to the side a bit more and that seemed to help but I still got tangled up a few time.

Advice?

I hear you Jason, I can cast with a single fly all day, be it small or big. When I put on a second or third I get tangled farely often. That is unless I am in a drift boat and am able to do just a "roll cast". Basically once the line is past you, you let the water load your road and with a quick flick of your wrist you put it all back up stream in front of you and mend as it goes downstream.

This is great in boats where you are basically right on the run and only have 6-10 feet of fly line out and then tippet.

I have just been reading a book called "1001 Fly Fishing Tips" and one thing they suggested was bigger loops on your cast which, bring your arm back slightly away from your body and then on your forward cast bring your rod straight over your shoulder, if that makes sense. I messed around with it today with a hopper and a prince nymph and felt it helped.

From the book;

"Be prepared for the worst. Though you can minimize them, tangles are a fact of life with tandem-fly rigs. Carry extra leader and tipper to rebuild rigs, build the mental stamina to patiently pick out a wind knot, and learn to recognize the times when you must the flies off and start over."

I am not sure you will ever get it 100% with a tandem setup but I also feel 6 inches is a bit short and agree with birddog's recommendation of longer sections between flies personally 12-18 or so.

I would also be cautious of very different size and weights of flies on a tandem setup, but that is just a guess.

Hope this helps a little, I am by no means a pro with it so just relaying what I have heard.

jasonvilly,

I cast dry/nymph rigs often.

Some things that might help:

1] Multiple false casts increase chances of trouble.

2] A softer rod helps - use a heavier line weight to slow things down

3] Water loading helps - no false casting @ all using this method

4] Open loops surely help.

5] Drop elbow on forward csst to open loop.

6] Presentation is an issue - remember that you are straightening 2 flies. A tad more power on the forward stroke.

7] Slightly stiffer leaders really help. 3X to dry and 4X on nymph.

8] Lightly weighted nymphs are the best. Heavy nymphs are tough to cast with dry in front.

catch ya'

Don

Great advice all around!

If I was to add anything it would be to consider looking into a line that is designed for roll casting or nymphing. Because the weight is near the back of the head, these lines will make it easier to load your rod when roll/ single hand spey casting. As well, the tapers of these lines are designed to help with turnover of dropper and nymph rigs. If you plan to do a lot of this style of fishing, which for most of the year is arguably the most productive way to fish the Bow, and are presently using a weight forward taper consider giving this a try.