Fly Fusion Forums

Random Camping

Couple of weeks ago I came up on a random site on Racehorse. There was no good way to get around it, so I got a good look at it. I'd been hearing sporadic gunfire through the day and when I come up 3 of the 4 members of the family are toting rifles around. A boy, no more than 15, was strutting around the site with an automatic pistol tucked into his jeans. Beer cans were everywhere. I said "Hi" and got a cold stare in return.

It's not necessarily the band I hate, but the fans....

Disgusting. Some people are pigs.

And this is where the focus and proper enforcement should be directed.

With public pressure for the government to "do something" in regard to random campers and rogue quadders there will likely be more rules put in place. Not sure what this will accomplish? Government will say they acted, another useless law will likely be drafted when current rules and regulations are not being enforced.

Right now there is a law against littering. The only thing to remedy this probelm is more stringent enforcement.

We have to be careful what we wish for when it comes to limiting use in the back country. Painting a small, albiet very visible problem with a broad brush does no favors for responsible users.

Couple of weeks ago I came up on a random site on Racehorse. There was no good way to get around it, so I got a good look at it. I'd been hearing sporadic gunfire through the day and when I come up 3 of the 4 members of the family are toting rifles around. A boy, no more than 15, was strutting around the site with an automatic pistol tucked into his jeans. Beer cans were everywhere. I said "Hi" and got a cold stare in return.

It's not necessarily the band I hate, but the fans....

An automatic pistol! are you sure, also could be a pellet gun, as it would be illegal to discharge a had gun outside an apporved range, in fact in order to own a handgun you have to be a range member.

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity after coming across this thread, what is done differently in Alberta that has kept this problem away? Designated campgrounds? More enforcement? Tougher consequences? I've never camped on the other side of the rocks so would be interested to hear from those who have experienced both. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity after coming across this thread, what is done differently in Alberta that has kept this problem away? Designated campgrounds? More enforcement? Tougher consequences? I've never camped on the other side of the rocks so would be interested to hear from those who have experienced both. Thank you.

Although I haven't seen it with my own eyes, from what I've heard, it happens here too all the time!

Nothings really been done Rodney, I think our population base is a lot smaller than the LML so we don't see the levels that you guys get out there. There are definitely more campgrounds within and hour or so of the city so I think that helps to contain some of the rowdies (except maybe on the long weekends). I never meant to say we don't have problems but seeing what continually goes on in the Chilliwack Valley, it certainly gives us some perspective of what could possibly happen here.

Colin

Thanks for the reply all. Since we started the Chilliwack River cleanup program in 2002, hundreds of volunteers have done 29 group cleanups. As Metro Vancouver population grows rapidly, some of us have lost optimism that we first had when getting the program going. Schools don't want to take responsibility of their students action at overnight camp grad parties, even a lack of interest in stressing the importance of clean-up prior to the summer holiday.

The Fraser Valley Regional District and City of Chilliwack have worked pretty proactively on stopping this, but they are simply moving the problem elsewhere. Overnight camping and parking is now prohibited along the river up to the hatchery so this type of behaviour has pretty much disappeared. The problem has now shifted to upstream from the hatchery (where these photographs were taken). I can see camping also banned in those areas in the near future, but that would just create dumping sites elsewhere.

Anyway, after the above two uplifting paragraphs :D I'd like to mention that World's Rivers Day is coming up next Sunday. There are events happening all over and we will also be doing one on the Chilliwack River if anyone is in the area. We're doing a river cleanup from 9am to Noon, followed by a BBQ, entertainment and draw prizes.

http://www.cleanrivers.ca/events.html