Fly Fusion Forums

Korkers

i just went form the Korkers to CLoudVeils 2 months ago..... I was on the trip with Buck and my Cloudviels busted and another pair of Korkers went down. I've decided to try Chotas this time, they are cheap, come with cleats and have a funny name if they last 8 months I guess it will be a win

something to think about s well, if your boots are coming apart at the seams more than likely it is because they don't fit properly and your feet are moving around and putting stress where it shouldn't be. Your boots should fit snuggly with your waders on and there should be very little wiggle room, same as any comfortable footwear.

Colin

My Patagonia Riverwalkers lastest 3 years before the rubber on the toe cracked and I got greedy with their warrantee (still totally wearable, but decided I'd send them in to see if they would replace them. They did, except they didn't have any in stock at the CDN warehouse so gave me a credit instead :(). Bought a pair of Korker Guides and so far so good (not as comfy as the Pati's, however - only about 3 months on them, thus far). I hope they last as long, but I doubt they will from what I've read/heard. Depending on how long they last, etc., my next pair might be either the Simms or another pair of the Patagonia River Walkers... I have a VERY narrow foot (even with neo feet) so I'm not sure of the Simms and I was suprized that the Korkers even fit (it takes me forever to tighten the boa system on them).

P

I'm looking to do the same,I'm assuming your putting them in from the bottom yes?Head exposed?

Also do they get pushed back in after walking on them?And how much are you leaving exsposed?

10 x 1/2" hex head sheet metal screws, the ones that look like below.Got them @ Home Depot I believe. Drive them in from the bottom up, I use a little Makita impact driver and sink'm in to the washer. I use 3 in the heel and the rest from mid-arch forward. Have never had them come through and bother my feet. Don't let them wear down too much before putting in fresh screws or they can be a certified bitch to get out

sheet-metal-screw-hex-head-slotted.gif

I just went out to my truck and looked, I'm using a dozen screws per foot

I'm sure there's different grades of felt but the only reason the felts have lasted as they did on my boots is because I studded them with 15-16 sheetmetal screws per boot at all times. I've never had any luck refelting wading boots

Refelting boots works well if you take it to a good cobbler, they don't peel off prematurely. I wouldn't do it myself though.

For years I've used Alpine shoe in Kensington for hiking boots, and now wading boot felts. I also used Conti up on Edmonton trail, both did a good job. I bought the felts myself and took them along to the shop. Some wading boots are noticeably wider, and not all felt replacements are wide enough (e.g.my older Simms). Take your boot along when you buy the felt soles to be sure they are wide enough. Any boot felt for sale commercially seems to all be the same grade.

The one downside of sheetmetal screws (or commercial studs like Simms sells) in the soles is that once they wear a bit, when you're walking on smooth round boulders along streams, they can suddenly skate out from under you and you're down. Ouch. Otherwise they grip pretty much everything.

Good cobbler is damn scarce down here anymore and believe me I know about slick rock and studs. There nothing left to sew to on the sole of those old Freestones so I need new boots soon, Streamtread and those star hardbites may work decent enough

Thanks