Fly Fusion Forums

Dogs Vs Fishermen And Vice Versa

Found myself in a situation last week and before I tell you what I did/didn't do and the outcome, let me give you the facts and ask what you would have done.

At Southland offleash area with my 2 dogs. They have fenced it off to a point where there's one area on the river where it's a sanctioned offleash area for the dogs to swim. Went there on Friday morning - there were at least 20 other dogs and owners there. I believe it's the only area where there is access to the river for the dogs on the East side, but not sure. At any rate, there were alot of dogs swimming, chasing balls etc. I see 2 fisherman walking up towards where all these dogs are swimming in the middle of the river, in the back eddy and all around. They are obviously looking for risers. They're getting pretty close to all the canine action. I can hear them talking - that's how close. I kinda wonder to myself why they would pick that spot to fish - it's a big river and I can't imagine there'd be alot of rising fish with all the dogs in the water and all the commotion. I throw the tennis ball across the river for the third time....dogs swim out into the middle, take their sweet time, guy makes a cast, ball continues to go down river - you see where this is going. My dogs eventually got the ball within about 20 feet of where he cast. Keep in mind he cast after I threw the ball. He then yells "THANKS...THANKS A F**K OF A LOT....THAT'S REALLY AWESOME". Then they proceed to trek upstream. Before I tell you what I did/didn't do, what's your opinion on this - did I deserve his comment? Should he have recognized he was in an offleash area and kept walking or accepted what was inevitable - if not by my dogs then someone elses?

How long will it be before he can eat solid food again?

If you're going to fish in the city then you need to expect to run into.

Dogs

Rafts

Kids chucking rocks

Garbage

other A-hole fishermen

Fire boat

Dave

Mean blonde with two dogs who will rip you a new one if you swear at her.

The guy who swore at you is an obvious dikkhead. I fish the Dogpark all the time and I simply go where the dogs aren't. Go upstream...downstream...cross the pedestrian bridge and fish the other side. With knobs like that just ignore them is the best thing.

I'm with Dekkard. There are many kilomteres of great fishing on the Bow. There are not many stretches of dog park (maybe .5km if you add ALL of them up). If you're fishing in a dog park, expect dogs. Not only did the anglers not have common sense, but very poor manners. You did not deserve that comment at all.

I wonder if it was tweedledum and tweedledummer from a couple years back?!

Idiots.. sorry, Ignorant IMO. That's like wanting to go for a peaceful camping trip and setting up in the middle of McLean Creek or Waiparous and then complaining about the dirtbikes.

As far as what to do about it.. I would've called him on it. "Look around you. Look at where you are. I'M a fly angler too. There's KILOMETERS of blue ribbon fishery here buddy, go somewhere else."

The guys fishing are idiots if they think they will fish the offleash park without seeing a dog in the water. As a fisherman the offleash park is the most aggravating place to fish, that why I dont fish there anymore. That said, people with dogs are just as ignorant. Regardless of who was there first it seems as though people with dogs feel intitled to be a--holes down there. I have been fishing there before when people walk right up and start tossing balls into the water while looking right at you, I have had the impression a couple of times that people are trying to piss you off.

IMO, fisherman that expect everyone to get out of there way at the offleash park are totally F#$@ed. Dog walkers that choose to throw a ball in the water were someone is allready fishing are totally F#$@ed.

The guy who swore at you is an obvious dikkhead. I fish the Dogpark all the time and I simply go where the dogs aren't. Go upstream...downstream...cross the pedestrian bridge and fish the other side. With knobs like that just ignore them is the best thing.

Exactly. Anyone who fishes the dog park should know how to stay away from the dogs. It isn't really hard at all.

Though I would have paid money to watch what you said Lynn!

tend to agree, it was they're bad, if fishing anywhere along the paths expect your run to get screwed once in a while by something. if you want dog/everything else free water then leave the city.

but now I am dieing to find out what did you/didn't you do

Well....sorry to disappoint, but I went against my inner grain and did/said nothing....I know....shocking to some. I had lots swirling in my mean little blonde noggin but with the amount of people there I didn't feel like giving a full-on lecture which would only come out with me sounding holier than thou because I was a wee bit incensed at the time (and there were kids around). So I bit my tongue to the point of bleeding and let the gents move on. When I saw them approaching land, had they said anything else, I would have pulled them aside and explained the facts of life of fishing near a gaggle of pooches and what they could expect. But I think they probably got it - and their fishing was ruined anyways so maybe they got what they deserved without me ruining my fun time with my dogs <--poke--<

I have been fishing there before when people walk right up and start tossing balls into the water while looking right at you, I have had the impression a couple of times that people are trying to piss you off.

I've had the exact same experience and at the time chalked it up to me reading too much into it. Good to know I'm not alone. I don't fish at the dog park or even take my dog there any more because it just isn't worth the headaches.

What they said given the situation was obviously uncalled for. Good for you for not letting what he said get to you :bow: . That said dog owners are anglers and everyday people and there tend to be jerks among us, the dogs are just following the bad actions of their owners. Dog owners seem to feel entitled to be able to throw the ball anywhere they want obliviously.

Here is my encounter, I was nymphing a riffle right above a pool on the bow one day when a lady and a dog come strolling down to my riffle she stops about 20 feet above me and tosses the ball way out into the fast current, the dog like all dogs do runs out to retreave it :o . Im about to yell hey what are u doing , but i didnt know what the outcome would be yet cuse im used to this happening. Well what do u think happens? The dog swims out but cant reach the ball in time and gives up swims to shore (another tennis ball in the river), but not before he notices my thingamobobber grabs that and becomes entangled. Owner does nothing as the dog slowly peels out line from my reel, alarmed at being in my backing aready i run downriver and save her pooch. Waking back up to the lady holding her dog by the collar i tell her about showing some respect to all river users and watching where she throws the ball ect. She tells me she didnt expect her dog not to be able to get the ball and goes on about how she thinks its my fault her dog got caught ect. Im like no :$*%&: way i was fishing hear all morning, then about to throw her in the river i start to roll up my sleaves she gets the idea and buggers off with her dog but not before she tells me to watch where i fish because she come here often. Thats it no appology, no sorry and i end up having my fishing day ruined because of her attitude and her ignorance. I tried to forgive her in my heart for being that way, at least my reel didnt break and her dog was fine.

Sorry for the long story and the hijack :Hi jack:

peace. :angry:

There was a topic about this in another part of the forum about the Southland Dogsh!t park.

I think you were totally in the right here. I have used southland to access parts of the river there, but for a guy to fish in an area where he knows there are dogs, and then get pissed when he is bothered by a dog is just stupid. Like others have said, there is other, and better fishing within minutes of that area. Even if he walked up stream or waded to a channel where there were no dogs. He sounds like a bit of an attention wh0re.

My issue with SDP still is the expansion and degradation of the banks in that area casued by over use and misuse.

A

I think the fisherman was in the wrong here.

On another dog note (highjack sorry) I camped near water valley this weekend and was blown away by the number of un-leashed dogs at the campground. It seemed like every camp had 1-3 dogs. Saw a half dozen dog fights, hear about 10 others. One of the guys from our camp was bitten by one as he was asking the neighbor camp if they would like to join us for some beverages. I was afraid to let my kids walk around the campground. Another thing that bothered my was 1/3 of the dogs seemed to be either pitbulls or pittbull cross. Never understood why guys would go out of their way to own a pittbull.

:Hi jack:

There was a topic about this in another part of the forum about the Southland Dogsh!t park.

I think you were totally in the right here. I have used southland to access parts of the river there, but for a guy to fish in an area where he knows there are dogs, and then get pissed when he is bothered by a dog is just stupid. Like others have said, there is other, and better fishing within minutes of that area. Even if he walked up stream or waded to a channel where there were no dogs. He sounds like a bit of an attention wh0re.

My issue with SDP still is the expansion and degradation of the banks in that area casued by over use and misuse.

A

I wasnt fishing at Southland i gave up on that area long ago. This was just some random dog lady walking the river.

I wasnt fishing at Southland i gave up on that area long ago. This was just some random dog lady walking the river.

No, but the original poster was. That i was I referring to. B)

I have had the random person on the river thing too. I just give them the hairy eyeball and they go elsewhere. :argggg:

Andrew

One needs to look first before casting a line. And for sure those anglers were in the wrong to snap at you like that.

I had a fun experience in that park a couple years ago. Was fishing down stream one evening and there was lots of dogs around playing around in the water 50 m upstream so al was good for me. I was not getting any hits at that point either. A lady throws a ball into the run where I was fishing and as per usual the retrieves the ball. I already saw what was going to happen so I just pulled my line in and wait for the dog to get out. Next cast pulled out an 18" er! Now that is what I call to funny.

Black Ant

Really what it all boils down to is a lack of respect out there.

There is lots of river to fish & many places to take your dog. If people would just think about others these interactions woudl not be happening.

Andrew

Found myself in a situation last week and before I tell you what I did/didn't do and the outcome, let me give you the facts and ask what you would have done.

At Southland offleash area with my 2 dogs. They have fenced it off to a point where there's one area on the river where it's a sanctioned offleash area for the dogs to swim. Went there on Friday morning - there were at least 20 other dogs and owners there. I believe it's the only area where there is access to the river for the dogs on the East side, but not sure. At any rate, there were alot of dogs swimming, chasing balls etc. I see 2 fisherman walking up towards where all these dogs are swimming in the middle of the river, in the back eddy and all around. They are obviously looking for risers. They're getting pretty close to all the canine action. I can hear them talking - that's how close. I kinda wonder to myself why they would pick that spot to fish - it's a big river and I can't imagine there'd be alot of rising fish with all the dogs in the water and all the commotion. I throw the tennis ball across the river for the third time....dogs swim out into the middle, take their sweet time, guy makes a cast, ball continues to go down river - you see where this is going. My dogs eventually got the ball within about 20 feet of where he cast. Keep in mind he cast after I threw the ball. He then yells "THANKS...THANKS A F**K OF A LOT....THAT'S REALLY AWESOME". Then they proceed to trek upstream. Before I tell you what I did/didn't do, what's your opinion on this - did I deserve his comment? Should he have recognized he was in an offleash area and kept walking or accepted what was inevitable - if not by my dogs then someone elses?

Obviuosly their response was way over the line ( and wasnt deserved), but my question is why did you toss the ball out into an area when you knew your dog would end up right in the area these guys were fishing? Yes they should expect this type of behavior from the average dog owner (especially in this area) but i would have thought that you, as a fellow flyfisherman, would have shown them more consideration. You knew they were stalking risers but made sure your dog disrupted them anyways.Again, i understand this area is for off leash ( i too use it) but if it was me , I would have kept my dog in check or moved 20 or 30 feet further away from them before tossing the tenny. I realize these guys picked a bad place to fish, but with all the complaints on this board about the various yahoos on the river ( jet boaters,drunken floaters,poorly guided drift boats, etc) it seems odd that as a fellow angler,you didnt give these guys a break.

Obviuosly their response was way over the line ( and wasnt deserved), but my question is why did you toss the ball out into an area when you knew your dog would end up right in the area these guys were fishing? Yes they should expect this type of behavior from the average dog owner (especially in this area) but i would have thought that you, as a fellow flyfisherman, would have shown them more consideration. You knew they were stalking risers but made sure your dog disrupted them anyways.Again, i understand this area is for off leash ( i too use it) but if it was me , I would have kept my dog in check or moved 20 or 30 feet further away from them before tossing the tenny. I realize these guys picked a bad place to fish, but with all the complaints on this board about the various yahoos on the river ( jet boaters,drunken floaters,poorly guided drift boats, etc) it seems odd that as a fellow angler,you didnt give these guys a break.

From my first post:

I throw the tennis ball across the river for the third time....dogs swim out into the middle, take their sweet time,

The first 2 times the dogs retrieved it right off the bat. The third time they decided to mess around with each other and were more tired I guess and the ball wound up going way downstream of even where I'd allow them to swim - much too far. I tried calling them back but knew they wouldn't come until they had the ball - but I did try. So...I didn't throw the ball anywhere close to where the guys were - in fact threw it upstream of where I was. Plus they were just standing in the river with their rods in the air, not unhooked and they weren't casting at the time....just seemed to be looking for risers. So, trust me when I say that it was COMPLETELY unintentional and that I went out of my way to avoid this situation - a situation that somebody else would have created had it not been me. The guys were just plain too close for it not to be a situation in my opinion.