Fly Fusion Forums

What's "the Best" Way To Arrange Your Flies!

ÜberFly

Is there one "best way"?! I'm sure I'll get a mirad of suggestions and opinions, but here it goes...

By bug species (i.e., caddis [pupa, nymph, adult], mayflies, etc.);

By fish species, i.e. bully box, trout box, pike box, etc;

General - dry box, streamer box, nymph box, (or in Don Anderson's case, a suite case of chironomids, :P), etc.

or by season, still water, small stream, large stream, etc.

One caveat, of course, it obviously depends on how many flies one actually has, naturally...

Ok... go!!

P

No pro, but I keep a my drys by hatch season in small boxes (midges/bwo, drakes/pmd/etc, caddis, stones), nymphs in one box organized by type (cassis one side, other side various), a streamer box, a stillwater box, a bully box, a pike box, etc.

I'm not super please with my organization, and I like this thread idea. Please share your method to madness.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got stuff allover the place and then spen time rearranging, then stop by a fly shop and by more flys only to find out ive got the same flysin one of my boxes, so i TRY TO SORT OUT MY NYMPHS, DRYS, STRAMERS AND LEETCHES.

I think this is a great topic, probably end up coming to personal preference but I am curious to see the results.

Like Birddog, I run a nymph, dry, and streamers box. Basically can carry it all. I have to reduce my streamers though as they take up so much space so have a spare box and swap them in and out for the season.

Got a lot of streamers from fishing the north platte in Wyoming so a little heavy on them compared to the other flies. All though that is rapidly changing. Also a heads up I noticed Wholesale sports in Calgary just off deerfoot and Glenmore was selling 12 flies for $8 if people were looking.

Yes, i think they are made in kenya.... there okay, but you get what you pay for...the westwinds fly are a little more cash but great quality and better selection.. Icky flys rock too... oneday the white jamaician fly's will rock too....

I stock my boxes depending on destination and how much gear I want to ''haul' around. I keep one box of each dedicated to dries, nymphs, streamers, chronies, damsel/dragonfly, scud/shrimp, saltwater salmon/sea run cuttthroat and steelhead. I always have 4 or 5 empty boxes that I can fill on a moments notice with what I think is necessary. I 'load' my boxes from a chest of drawers (nut and bolt organizer) that I'm constantly filling with flies.

If I'm fishing the Bow I usually carry 3 or 4 boxes, if I'm off on a small creek and only carrying my chest pack I try to limit myself to 2 of the small C&F 'leafed' fly boxes loaded with an assortment of caddis dries/emergers/pupae, mayfly dries/emergers/nymphs, hopper/stonefly dries, and streamers.

Colin

I have the following:

- dry fly box grouped by species, then size

- nymph box (attached to chest pack) grouped by species then size

- streamer/big nymph box

- film can full of SJW's - never leave home without it

- several miscellaneous boxes/cans of flies from Icky/Wholesale that I haven't put in my other fly boxes yet

I also carry a small piece of cardboard with a few triple nymph rigs wrapped around it (thanks Toolman for the time-saving tip!)

I now have a hiking box (mainly dries and small nymphs), which I also use for fishing downtown during lunch hours, and a spare box of assorted flies for friends who might need it.

On the topic of where I get my flies, I get them from Icky, Wholesale, or I tie them myself. I prefer to spend up to a buck a fly, as I tend to lose lots to trees, bushes, weeds, rocks, and fish. I would cry if I lost 10 flies that were $3 each.... ouch!