Fly Fusion Forums

Looking Forward To Fishing Some Of Montana's Rivers

Heading to the Whitefish/ Kalispel area for a week and can't wait to do some fishing down there. It is quickly becoming one of my favourite places in the world.....great RV parks that you can actually find a spot in and lots for the family to do in the area while I'm out fishing.

If anyone has updates on current conditions I am curious to know how things are looking down there. I'll try and post some pics if I don't drop my second camera in the water in less than a month! May need to look for something waterproof while there as well.....

I'll try and post some pics if I don't drop my second camera in the water in less than a month! May need to look for something waterproof while there as well.....

Buy a lanyard and attach the camera and wear it around your neck.

I will be down there for a week beginning Sunday aswell. My fam has a place down there, so I am down all the time. I am new to the sport so i've never fished the area but i've heard all three forks of the flathead produce well, let us know how it goes, i'll be curious to hear. The fly shop right in Bigfork is supposedly excellent, I'd probably pop in and chat with them. Good Luck, the weather forecast is looking great mid 80's all week!!

Hi all!

I was just down floating the North Fork of the Flathead and the main stem which are all probably less than 20 mins away from where you'll be staying.

I hauled my drift boat down and did the North Fork from Big Creek to Blankenship Bridge. Tons of cutty's on the dry, super eager and not picky. I lost track of how many hits and fish we had after the first hour. All fish were real small ranging from 6' to 11'. I have an aluminum Hyde and it was sketchy a few times trying to avoid monster boulders. Personaly, I probably wouldn't do it again unless I had a raft as flows are dropping and her spine is starting to show.

Main stem of the Flathead I had a guided trip with Lakestream out of Whitefish. Kenny Lard was my guide and he was killer. We floated from Kokanee Bend to Old Steel Bridge. Kenny was very professional and informative. We fished hard all day, no lunch break, no real rest, he ate while I fished and I ate while he rowed back up over good runs. We caught buckets of Cutbows and a few rainbows. They were bigger than the North Fork ranging from 10' to 13'. I did get one 18' rainbow that he was pretty excited about as that's a decent fish for the area.

If your going to just wade, the North Fork is great around Glacier Rim and Big Creek and anywhere in between but my preference is to walk and wade the Middle Fork around Goat Lick, Essex and where Bear Creek runs in. South Fork is of course super sweet however its a little more serious to try and get into. Either way you'll love it all!

Hi all!

I was just down floating the North Fork of the Flathead and the main stem which are all probably less than 20 mins away from where you'll be staying.

I hauled my drift boat down and did the North Fork from Big Creek to Blankenship Bridge. Tons of cutty's on the dry, super eager and not picky. I lost track of how many hits and fish we had after the first hour. All fish were real small ranging from 6' to 11'. I have an aluminum Hyde and it was sketchy a few times trying to avoid monster boulders. Personaly, I probably wouldn't do it again unless I had a raft as flows are dropping and her spine is starting to show.

I know what you mean about the North fork in a drift boat....did that last year in mid august with lower water levels. Wasn't the relaxing day I had planned.

Didn't get as much time out as I was hoping with the extended family along on vacation. Floated the main stem from Teakettle to Pressentine and had some fun. One nice Cutty landed and a bunch of misses.....regretting that I didn't linger a little longer on the first part of the float as I left a lot of good water behind. Had just picked up a new pontoon boat so was working out the kinks....moving up from the old float tube!

I'm back in mid august and will have more time to explore as we are staying in West Glacier instead of Kalispell. Can't wait to get there.

If anyone else is down that way stop in at Stumptown Angler between Kalispell and Whitefish.....Dave(owner) is a bit of a character but went above and beyond the other shops I've been in down there. Nice to see a small shop that offers that type of service.