Fly Fusion Forums

Great Customer Service.................................

Headed out to Cross Iron Mills today to get boaters license at Bass Pro. thought i would go in to the fly shop to look at a new reel as I am looking for a new cassette type as I am trying to build a stillwater set up. I walk over to the reel counter and behind the counter was this older gentleman(bald with a mustache) standing looking bored out of his mind. I proceeded to ask him if Bass Pro sells any type of cassette reels. He responds "I have no clue what you are talking about" I then say Hardy made one called the Demon. Thinking that anyone who stands behind a counter with $1000 reels would recognize the name Hardy. He then says "good luck with Hardy... product is garbage" then walks away.

I thought whatever don't make a big deal of it. kept on looking at the reels that they had and saw that Sage 3850 had a composite spool. thinking it could be an option as i am looking for a system where i can have multiple spools and composite should be cheaper then machined aluminum.......The man returns and I ask. "How much are the spare spools for the Sage 3850". His response was "don't know" (he walked away and never came back)

I put down the fly tying material I had in my hand and left the store never to return.........even when they have the going out of business sale.

m

not suprised..probably the last place I would go for fly gear. mind you I am in the bermuda triagle of fly shops so making the trip up north even with good service might be difficult.

Main reason for my post....just got that Hard Demmon reel you speak of and love it! Spool system is great. They seem to be hard to find locally. I took the risk and ordered online, very pleased. If you can't find one local drop me a PM and you can check out mine before ordering online.

Cheers, James

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i had hopes for that store but it truns into a waist of time when ever i go up there. The only helpfull guy i have come across there is the younger bold kid with curly hair.

I was in there a month ago for the first time.Heard the bad, heard the good.So ill check it out.Thought i would look over some tying materials or lack of.Got into a discussion about FF pike with the dude.Well 2 minutes later he was lost and thought i was on crack.You cant catch pike with a fly but the bait is over there.Hehe WTF.Wanted to pick up some freeze dried rations for some backpackin.I know what i like and have tried all types.Went to the section and started putting stuff in a cart.Price not too bad.Then the dude started putting some other *hit in my basket which i wouldnt feed to my worst enemy.I said NO and asked if he had tried the crap.I have been buying the same stuff for years and know what i want.After a very short discussion asking if he had ever tried the stuff,he said no.But swore it was the best.I left real quick without droppin a dime.

I will support my local specialty shops.Customer service 0.Sorry.And not sure what the going out of buisness thing was but it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

A big Thank You to those few individuals who have decided to bite the bullet and open and run local independent fly shops acrsoss the province, and essentially make running these small operations their life. Every shop I have ever visited has been a pleasure including Denny's (RIP) which I still miss to this day. Thanks to all those who support these warm, informative institutions and the service they provide.

On the same note, pleas esupport your local crowsnest fly shops too. Crowsnest Angler, and the Crowsnest cafe are both excellent shops. You can grab a nice lunch and a few flies right in Coleman right on hwy 3, or hit Vic Bergman up at the shop near bellevue on hwy 3. BC licenses can be purchsed at the home hardware in blairmore, close to both of those... I kow susn's doesn't sell BC licenses unless things have changed for this year... I think vic's shop actually does. In any case, lets keep these great shops open!

Cheers from down south!

I have also been to the fly shop in the BASS store and had a near same experience. Being from the se part of the province where fly tieing materials are rare to none..I loaded up on fur, feathers,beads and thread etc.etc.. I went to the counter to pay and an older gentleman was "busy" spooling some line on some reels. I stood at the counter for 10 to 15 minutes with probably $150.00 in materials on the counter..no-one even gave me a sideways glance! Anyway I ended up walking away and leaving the goods on the counter..really crappy service!