Fly Fusion Forums

What Is Your Favorite All Purpose Line For A 6wt

SA GPX for a fast action 6 wt (I actually have Rio Grand on mine now, just switched a month or so ago and I'd have to say I much prefer the GPX).

P

Peter the Grand is probalby not well suited for you, the line was specificly designed to slow down fast action rods; they tend to feel sluggish to someone who has been casting for a while. It's not even close to the performance of the Gold

Jay, I have gold on my 4 wts and like it, but they are med & med/fast respectively... I will say that the Grand on my 6 wt roll casts like nobody's business (longer head, I suspect)!

P

Peter the Grand is probalby not well suited for you, the line was specificly designed to slow down fast action rods; they tend to feel sluggish to someone who has been casting for a while. It's not even close to the performance of the Gold

As I prefer to fish almost strictly dry fly this time of year, I got myself into my first double taper last month and must say I am really enjoying it. Still great with a light nymph rig or with a lighter streamer, a dream with any sort of dry. The mending capabilities are astounding after having fished WF forever. I won't be fishing it winter/spring season, and I generally swing the spey if I am out strictly swingin bugger, but for my current applications, the Rio Trout LT DT really kicks ass on my 6 weight. Used to be a cortland 444 peach guy, still am, but this Rio is the first trout line that has really contended with the 444 for me...

All purpose, it's hard to beat SA GPX. I've used them for years on 6 & 4 wts. Thought I'd try a Rio Gold on the 4wt last year just for a change. No complaints on how it handles but can already see that it is not as durable a line as the SA. You can't go wrong with SA lines in my opinion.

Jay,

I always thought that Grand, like GPX was a 1/2 line wt heavier and therefore will load (read, speed up) a fast action rod better, not slow it down?!

"The RIO Grand is one half size heavier than the AFTMA standard and features more weight distributed toward the front of the line to easily load fast action fly rods."

P

My 'go to' all purpose line is a Snowbee XS XD (extreme distance) WF 6wt line. Although I'm really liking the XS TC (two colour) line as well, the head on it is a little shorter.

Coatings on all the Snowbee line are extremely 'slick' and allow for great shootability and durability, I have a line that is now going into its 4th season and is starting to look a little beat up but still floats and shoots extremely well.

SouthBow carries them, but you've got to be quick, they usually disappear as fast as they bring them in.

Colin

Jay,

I always thought that Grand, like GPX was a 1/2 line wt heavier and therefore will load (read, speed up) a fast action rod better, not slow it down?!

"The RIO Grand is one half size heavier than the AFTMA standard and features more weight distributed toward the front of the line to easily load fast action fly rods."

P

Nope, but don't take my word for it try it, switch your lines between a 3 and 6 and see what happens

It does load a fast action rod easier because it's heavier but not faster

Thanks Jay! I guess I mistakingly equated loading with speeding up or slowing down the action of a rod. None-the-less for me, Grande doesn't load as well as GPX, that being said, Grand roll casts better then GPX (longer head, I suspect)...

P

Nope, but don't take my word for it try it, switch your lines between a 3 and 6 and see what happens

It does load a fast action rod easier because it's heavier but not faster

air flo ridge line

air flo ridge = great for nymphing + casting streamer, I found it's kind of too heavy to cast dry. I have this line mainly for nymphing.

rio gold = great for dry fly. it sux a big time for nymphing + casting streamer. I would only recommend if you just wanna cast dry. I have this line this time of year for the only purpose: dry.

btw, rio gold will crack (mine cracked). make sure you keep the original package and receipt for exchange. the quality is not acceptable for a $75 line.

air flo ridge = great for nymphing + casting streamer, I found it's kind of too heavy to cast dry. I have this line mainly for nymphing.

rio gold = great for dry fly. it sux a big time for nymphing + casting streamer. I would only recommend if you just wanna cast dry. I have this line this time of year for the only purpose: dry.

btw, rio gold will crack (mine cracked). make sure you keep the original package and receipt for exchange. the quality is not acceptable for a $75 line.

hi, im a little confused, which one of the airflo ridge , there are numerous??

is it the clear??

i had the Airflo Ridge Presentation Fly Line, Floating Lichen Green 6 WF Braided RXP-WF

the best is to go to fish tales fly shop, they have lots of airflo lines, and compare with other lines. staffs there can provide great help.

They also have some on sale lines (in the basket), it's $40 only. I grab mine for $40, a 6wf.

Just got a peek at the list of new SA Lines that will be available for demo testing within a month. Verrrrry interesting ! :)

Looks like performance, durability will come with a lower price. As an "oatmeal savage" that stuff warms my haggis, you know? :)

j