Fly Fusion Forums

Driftboat Etiquette

So I was out fishing this morning fishing a long run and had multiple driftboats/jetboats go by. All the boats seemed to notice me and buddy on our side and hightailed it over to the other side, which seems to usually happen. Common courtesy! Thanks guys! Just before we were going to leave, we had 1 jetboat floating right down the bank, casting up to the shore. Not a big deal, dosent piss me off too much when a boat comes close, so use to it happening on the bow. I figured hed just drift past me and not cast. Nope, the guide let the client keep casting and he landed his fly about 1-2 feet away from mine then looked up and said "sorry, didnt see you there". I just sucked it up and didnt say anything.

Now for the kicker, he did the same thing to my buddy drifted right past and yelled to him "how do the fish taste out of here", because he was spinfishing. Hes lucky he didnt say it to me, or he would of regretted it. I dont think it was neccesary for him to do that, just because he was spinfishing?

I want to hear everyones take on this. The guide is also a regular user on this board (I recognized him) so maybe he'll pipe in too.

rant over. <--poke--<

Sorry man some guides have 2 definable qualities; one they think they own the river and the only ones that matter are the clients in the boat and two try to be elitest ass hats because they feel it gives them a level above everyone else.

That's all and good to make your client #1 but sooner or later the clients are going to figure out that if they were on shore they would be the ones subject to ridicule. There's no place for this attitude. I know several guides, myself included, that have no problem taking gear guys on the boat. Shoot most of us started with gear rods in our hands.

After time dude will be found out for being the douche he is and clients will dry up, only thing you can do is pipe up and tell your story so those looking for someone respectable to guide them won't get sucked in and perpetuate the doucheyness.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

sounds like a looser with too much money and not enough brains. i would have bounced a few rocks off his hull for the comments...prick!

IMO proper driftboat etiquette is to at the very least move away from the bank upsteam of you and not to move back in to the bank untill downstream of you, have your clients cast to mid river untill we are past the bank fisherman. If your fishing gear I would always move out farther as you can cast farther than a flyrod will. This is not law but any of the guides I worked with did this, those who don't are not much of a guide IMO. Your clients will see thru this crap, they will respect you and learn to respect other fisherman if you take the time to explain that giving the bank anglers room to fish is the right thing to do, after all you may have up to 15km or more to fish that day, a 100 yards won't kill you. The clients will always see this is the right thing to do.

It's pretty easy to be a guide on the Bow, just buy a boat and make a website, this don't mean you are a real guide, you just take clients money and haul them down the river, have a look at a guides website, if all the photos are of the guide and his friends he aint a real guide, if the album is full of client pics then he is most likley the real deal. Don't let a few a-holes represent all the real guides that work hard to give their clients the best day possible while respecting other anglers on the river no matter is they are bank anglers or other drift/jet boat anglers. It's a big river, pretty sure we can all share it with a little class and respect.

I guess if some coconut runs over your run, sit back smell the roses and give the water a rest for 5-10 minutes and the fish will be ready to eat your flys or len thompson 5 of diamonds.

tight lines.

Clearly the guide and fisherman in the boat were in the wrong, for having a boat that close and casting where it was obvious not to. The guide and fisherman each have responsibility there. Your hostile reaction perpetrated hours later on a forum, well, now, that's yours to own. Is anyone right coming out of the incident now that you've typed this? The psychological take on why each of you acted as you did in the moment or later because of it is interesting.

if all the photos are of the guide and his friends he aint a real guide, if the album is full of client pics then he is most likley the real deal

Just wanted to reply to the above statement with some perspective. Amelia & I own a couple relatively successful companies. The last thing we do is post photos of every single fisher that comes through. Why? Simple - we respect our guests' privacy and seldom show them publicly. Guiding isn't all about who's pumping more fish, bigger fish, who's busier, etc.

More to it for us, however - there are very few artistic photos taken with a guest holding a fish- and few opportunities that are fair to the fish. The guest is generally too excited to hold a fish properly to get a quality, somewhat artistic photo. Sure, grip and grins are nice shots every once in a while, but isn't there more to it than that? I know a lot of guides won't agree with the assessment of there being 'more to it than that', favoring the pomp of marketing vs what the moment means to the guest and further what the photo means to sales. In the end, would I rather have simpler photos of our fishing on our site that are done somewhat artistically, or filled with a bunch of grip and grins in which case a fish might not have fared so well?

Just hoping to add differing perspective.

Cheers

fish4trout...

The guide is also a regular user on this board (I recognized him) so maybe he'll pipe in too.

..boy you must be dreaming there m8...to actually think this individual would acknowledge his ignorance..Hardly..this is Calgary, and the most you'd get out of this person is rude, insulting remarks, that lead no where..too bad this hasn't happened to me on the Bow while gear fishing, for if a guide allowed his client to cast where I am, he would soon find out what was my favorite lure I was using to catch all those browns and bows...yep..I'd land it on his lap! There are too many out there who think their crap don't stink!.......Wolfie

I guess if some coconut runs over your run, sit back smell the roses and give the water a rest for 5-10 minutes and the fish will be ready to eat your flys or len thompson 5 of diamonds.

Well said, l use to get excited when it happens to me.Just not worth the trouble.The fish will always return.

As I said before, I wouldnt of minded until he made the dick move of trying to make fun of my spinfishing buddy.

Clearly the guide and fisherman in the boat were in the wrong, for having a boat that close and casting where it was obvious not to. The guide and fisherman each have responsibility there. Your hostile reaction perpetrated hours later on a forum, well, now, that's yours to own. Is anyone right coming out of the incident now that you've typed this? The psychological take on why each of you acted as you did in the moment or later because of it is interesting.

Dave(I assume your a guide from your post), sorry for the post. Next time I will run along the bank and chase him and swear at him with his client in the boat. Screw that, next time I will just bring a RPG and blow his boat out of the river. As I said before, he made these comments while downstream of me a couple hundred yards. Not much I can do when he a km downstream of me. I'm sure he figured I wasnt fishing with the spin fisherman.

fish4trout...

..boy you must be dreaming there m8...to actually think this individual would acknowledge his ignorance..Hardly..this is Calgary, and the most you'd get out of this person is rude, insulting remarks, that lead no where..too bad this hasn't happened to me on the Bow while gear fishing, for if a guide allowed his client to cast where I am, he would soon find out what was my favorite lure I was using to catch all those browns and bows...yep..I'd land it on his lap! There are too many out there who think their crap don't stink!.......Wolfie

Surprisingly enough, I did get a PM from the user.

As said above by SHC, if he continues doing this he should get a nice reputation soon. If it was truly a series of mistakes(?) as was described in the PM to me. *hit happens, I guess.

As I said before, I wouldnt of minded until he made the dick move of trying to make fun of my spinfishing buddy.

Dave(I assume your a guide from your post), sorry for the post. Next time I will run along the bank and chase him and swear at him with his client in the boat. Screw that, next time I will just bring a RPG and blow his boat out of the river. As I said before, he made these comments while downstream of me a couple hundred yards. Not much I can do when he a km downstream of me. I'm sure he figured I wasnt fishing with the spin fisherman.

As said above by SHC, if he continues doing this he should get a nice reputation soon. If it was truly a series of mistakes(?) as was described in the PM to me. *hit happens, I guess.

i was not even going to make a reply to this yet after his last post , i now decided to

well what mr fish4trout ''didn't tell '' and again i think anyone who hides behind a forum handle and can say what he wants is a coward , plain and simple ,

while floating yes at the last second i seen him , not standing in the water but up on a bank , easy to see someone standing in the water and on the bank if level , not so easy as he was above eyesight and in the tall grass along the bank , i did as soon as i seen him , stated i was sorry , he just nodded his head , my guy in the front of the boat was 68 years old and yes he had already casted , whippie do , mr fish4 trout was nymphing , my guy was throwing a dry ,

mr so called fish4trout could of just as easy waved his hat or said hi dutchie ; as he stated he knows me , then i would of known he was there and without a doubt i would of pulled away from him ,

he could of easy of said i have a friend down the same bank 100 yards down , again he never said anything , the only reason we seen the guy chucking worms or whatever in the river was at the last second it landed out in front of the boat , and he also was up on the bank in dark green cloths or whatever , not muchhigher then the tall grass

i never asked him that question as he stated first , this is how the coverstation went , the ol guy in the front of the boat said sorry , i said to him how was fishing , he replied , i asked him what he was useing , again he replied , then i asked him if he eats his fish and how do they taste , i sure did as i have asked it befor and if they reply yes i ask them to show me the fish they caught and then i call it in to RAP , the guy just said he didn't eat fish , at no time did we know he was a friend of mr fish4trout ,

what mr fish4 trout also didn't say or just maybe he forgot was that we ended up doing that same float twice more and stayed well clear of him and his bank , also he forgot to state that i sent him a email stating just how sorry i felt , and explained myself , well saying sorry don't do no good to mr fish4trout as all i got back was a nasty mouthy reply from someone who's a coward to hide behind a name ,

if you read his last post it says one thing yet his reply to me saying bullshit

so me now thinks that mr fish4trout is nothing but ""a wee little dog with a big bark" just wanting to cause *hit , even after a guy makes a mistake , and says sorry like 4 times , yes i got to close , it happens to us all , at least we said sorry , heck you don't see everyone on here crying about the rafts and all the drift boats , jet boats , we just move on and keep fishing ,

so you made a statement that if i said it to you , i would regret it , well mr fish4 trout , you just come see me and i'll not hide behide my name like you '' and i'll call ya a bait fisherman to your face , so you can take my sorry now and shove it , i really don't care what you think after reading your post and pm to me ,

and don't worry i couldn't give a rat ass if you ever booked a trip with me you crybaby

have a good day

dutchie

and Dave

i agree pretty well with what you said , same as you mike

Well,well...I just woke up to find a PM from this forum..that my "well respected guide", friend Dutchie had sent to me..

..I've known Dutchie for some time now, his personality would not let him sleep right if he did something out of the ordinary without sending his apologies straight away. So fish4trout, this statement of yours in relationship to mine..

..clearly comes across now after hearing /reading the other side of the coin as a *hit disturber, just wanting to be one of the "boys" who think their *hit don't stink..

..Dutchie has a reputation, which has stood the time and stands along side of the best..Greg..'toolman', and anyone here on this forum knows how true that is, his return clientele proves my words without a doubt, as well as those who continue to try to discredit him, yeah those jealous so called 'SOBs'.

So IMO..you can now take your sob story 'fish4trout and put it where the sun don't shine..and by the way...are you sure you don't Eat the fish out of the Bow?

.............Wolfie

If spin fishers get labeled as meat chuckers, and ASSumptions are made that they catch to kill (even in a sarcastic or joking way), I see no reason why we can't ASSume that all flyfishermen are elitist snobs who feel they own the river more than anyone else.....because they have a 'client' in their boat, and another one standing by.

I do not doubt any 'guides' passion for the fisheries or sport, however the fact remains that they are doing this to make a living and to feed their families.

The solution is quite simple.

Avoid them at all costs, unless you have deep pockets, thick skin, and can deal with over inflated egos.

Should you encounter a 'guide' on the river.......think of it like a bear sighting, and back away slowly. They don't want to see you as much as you don't want to see them.

i sure did as i have asked it befor and if they reply yes i ask them to show me the fish they caught and then i call it in to RAP...

A bit off topic but keeping a fish on the Bow is not always illegal. But what I would like to ask you is for your honest opinion about your observations of kept fish from the Bow. Please PM me dutchie. I sent a pm to you but please open it, it's not rude or anything.

Guest Sundancefisher

I am thinking of starting a guide business using these boats. Think it will take off? If anyone lips me off from shore I can chase them down on the road!

" the guy chucking worms or whatever ". Posts like that make you sound pretty arrogant, and give the guys story a little more credit. I'm no spin fisher but to assume every one of them is a bait chucking poacher is plain ignorant. Not a good way to build a client base IMO.

I am thinking of starting a guide business using these boats. Think it will take off? If anyone lips me off from shore I can chase them down on the road!

It will if the chicks come with it..

A bit off topic but keeping a fish on the Bow is not always illegal. But what I would like to ask you is for your honest opinion about your observations of kept fish from the Bow. Please PM me dutchie. I sent a pm to you but please open it, it's not rude or anything.

It's pretty easy to tell whether a trout is larger than 35cm or not. When I read this, I assumed he would call RAP if it was clearly larger than 35cm (~14"), as stated in the regs for the most popular stretch of the Bow.

It's pretty easy to tell whether a trout is larger than 35cm or not. When I read this, I assumed he would call RAP if it was clearly larger than 35cm (~14"), as stated in the regs for the most popular stretch of the Bow.

Yeah same assumption.

I's very easy to dice someone on this board and hide behind the web. Mindless dicing of individual has lost us many valuable senior members of this board in the past. I have guided for years in BC and am painfully aware how hard it is to not only take care of clients fishing, operate a driftboat, watch for river hazards on the drift plus be aware of other anglers. It's not possible to be always be perfect. Whether on the bank or in a driftboat courtesy should be extended by both parties. You are not always in full control of the direction of drift. I often when a drift boat comes by and I am wading offer to let them fish my bank and sit it out. Not such a hard thing to do for a working man. Common courtesy, something that is often forgotten in out sport. Waders do not have the right of way but are only fishers on the water like all others.

Dutchie in my personal opinion is on of the top guides in the country and hosts a great many not only local but US and European clients. I would not hesitate to recommend Bow River Adventures to anyone. And that is not said lightly. His courtesy and generosity is well known. He often posts valuable fishing conditions and tips. I know the man and seeing his answer here has gained me even more respect for him. He also is one of the financial supporters of this site. Without these guides and suppliers advertising here, we would not have an on line community at all.

Perhaps though should be given to what you say before hitting that send button with a childish public rant.

i was not even going to make a reply to this yet after his last post , i now decided to

well what mr fish4trout ''didn't tell '' and again i think anyone who hides behind a forum handle and can say what he wants is a coward , plain and simple ,

while floating yes at the last second i seen him , not standing in the water but up on a bank , easy to see someone standing in the water and on the bank if level , not so easy as he was above eyesight and in the tall grass along the bank , i did as soon as i seen him , stated i was sorry , he just nodded his head , my guy in the front of the boat was 68 years old and yes he had already casted , whippie do , mr fish4 trout was nymphing , my guy was throwing a dry ,

mr so called fish4trout could of just as easy waved his hat or said hi dutchie ; as he stated he knows me , then i would of known he was there and without a doubt i would of pulled away from him ,

he could of easy of said i have a friend down the same bank 100 yards down , again he never said anything , the only reason we seen the guy chucking worms or whatever in the river was at the last second it landed out in front of the boat , and he also was up on the bank in dark green cloths or whatever , not muchhigher then the tall grass

i never asked him that question as he stated first , this is how the coverstation went , the ol guy in the front of the boat said sorry , i said to him how was fishing , he replied , i asked him what he was useing , again he replied , then i asked him if he eats his fish and how do they taste , i sure did as i have asked it befor and if they reply yes i ask them to show me the fish they caught and then i call it in to RAP , the guy just said he didn't eat fish , at no time did we know he was a friend of mr fish4trout ,

what mr fish4 trout also didn't say or just maybe he forgot was that we ended up doing that same float twice more and stayed well clear of him and his bank , also he forgot to state that i sent him a email stating just how sorry i felt , and explained myself , well saying sorry don't do no good to mr fish4trout as all i got back was a nasty mouthy reply from someone who's a coward to hide behind a name ,

if you read his last post it says one thing yet his reply to me saying bullshit

so me now thinks that mr fish4trout is nothing but ""a wee little dog with a big bark" just wanting to cause *hit , even after a guy makes a mistake , and says sorry like 4 times , yes i got to close , it happens to us all , at least we said sorry , heck you don't see everyone on here crying about the rafts and all the drift boats , jet boats , we just move on and keep fishing ,

so you made a statement that if i said it to you , i would regret it , well mr fish4 trout , you just come see me and i'll not hide behide my name like you '' and i'll call ya a bait fisherman to your face , so you can take my sorry now and shove it , i really don't care what you think after reading your post and pm to me ,

and don't worry i couldn't give a rat ass if you ever booked a trip with me you crybaby

have a good day

dutchie

and Dave

i agree pretty well with what you said , same as you mike

wow, as stated before..I've had boats come close before, and I just chalk it up to sh*t happens. Implying that somebody is using worms because they are spin fishing, or that because they are spinfishing they kill everything, well that just shows your true colors. I'm not sure what you mean about a 2nd drift by us? We left minutes after you floated by us. Now, according to my friend you asked him repeatedly "how do the fish taste out of here". Obviously hoping for him to show you a stringer full of trout?

As for meeting me? What are you going to do? Are you challenging me to a fight? Its comical really, someone who looks old enough to be my grandparent.

Well,well...I just woke up to find a PM from this forum..that my "well respected guide", friend Dutchie had sent to me..

..I've known Dutchie for some time now, his personality would not let him sleep right if he did something out of the ordinary without sending his apologies straight away. So fish4trout, this statement of yours in relationship to mine..

..clearly comes across now after hearing /reading the other side of the coin as a *hit disturber, just wanting to be one of the "boys" who think their *hit don't stink..

..Dutchie has a reputation, which has stood the time and stands along side of the best..Greg..'toolman', and anyone here on this forum knows how true that is, his return clientele proves my words without a doubt, as well as those who continue to try to discredit him, yeah those jealous so called 'SOBs'.

So IMO..you can now take your sob story 'fish4trout and put it where the sun don't shine..and by the way...are you sure you don't Eat the fish out of the Bow?

.............Wolfie

Total 360, once you find out it is a buddy of yours. Interesting.

I's very easy to dice someone on this board and hide behind the web. Mindless dicing of individual has lost us many valuable senior members of this board in the past. I have guided for years in BC and am painfully aware how hard it is to not only take care of clients fishing, operate a driftboat, watch for river hazards on the drift plus be aware of other anglers. It's not possible to be always be perfect. Whether on the bank or in a driftboat courtesy should be extended by both parties. You are not always in full control of the direction of drift. I often when a drift boat comes by and I am wading offer to let them fish my bank and sit it out. Not such a hard thing to do for a working man. Common courtesy, something that is often forgotten in out sport. Waders do not have the right of way but are only fishers on the water like all others.

Dutchie in my personal opinion is on of the top guides in the country and hosts a great many not only local but US and European clients. I would not hesitate to recommend Bow River Adventures to anyone. And that is not said lightly. His courtesy and generosity is well known. He often posts valuable fishing conditions and tips. I know the man and seeing his answer here has gained me even more respect for him. He also is one of the financial supporters of this site. Without these guides and suppliers advertising here, we would not have an on line community at all.

Perhaps though should be given to what you say before hitting that send button with a childish public rant.

Ill say it for the 3rd time, I understand you cant always be in complete control of the boat. *hit happens.

I should of never posted, I guess. I brought up the talk of spinning guys on a fly board. Mistake?

Bottom line, if you approach all spin fisherman with that kind of talk..."HOW DO THE FISH TASTE OUT OF HERE?" Expect to be called out on it, obviously you didnt like it.

Very well said.. SD

I was fishing the crow, and a drift boat came by, don't laugh it happens, the client caught a fish just below me, nice but not great, well while the guide was retying for the client I walked down the river some, and on a nice wide bank caught a feisty bow, a nice jumper, both the client and guide commented on the fish and action as the guide pulled hard to move the drift boat out and away. Point is that not all or even many encounters are bad between walkers (for lack of a better term) and the drift boat..

Better remind your buddy "Dutchie" of that also Doc.... He just is'nt representing himself and his guide company anymore. Calling people out is not very professional. And just to add I have had my run in with the so called water walker. So this is not some childish rant or isolated incident.

mr fish4trout

come on now , i'm not calling you out , YOU stated i'd regret it if i said it to YOU , i just stated back to you come see me and i will say it to your face after you sent me the email , i personly think your just bitter , maybe have a hate on for guides or anyone who has a drift boat or just maybe you stink at fishing

there is always two sides to every story and you forgot to add a few things , just thought i'd let everyone hear the other side , read your first post , i said i was sorry to you on the bank , which you seemed fine with , sent you a email and said again 4 times sorry and why i ask your friend '' the spinfishing guy '' who at the time i didn't know was your friend and was fishing with you , and my reason why i asked him , you came back with a email to me saying bullshit and crying fowl ,

it was just as easy for you to say that you had a friend down the bank 100 yards , you didn't say anything but nod your head , so as far as i knew he was by himself , standing in the tall grass chucking spin gear out in the river ,

lets just chat about that for a min , i have nothing against or see nothing wrong with the way anyone fishes as long as by the rules , i myself have even taking out while guiding the odd guy who wants to throw and use spin gear , just yesterday the old guy who's birthday at 70 only wanted to use rap's with his ultra light spin gear , so he did , just in my boat the trebles are off and only a small single hook on the raps , so you see i don't have anything against the way anyone fishes , just as long as no bait , no trebles , no snaging them ,

but there is as i'm sure you must know a lot of poaching going on the river , i have yet to see a fly fisherman walking out with a bag full of fish , or a fly fisherman just taking one fish , and i'm on the river allot , lets face it most fly fisherman have some respect for the outdoors and the whole ideal of fishing ,

now this year alone, i have seen a 28 inch brown poached just above Mac's by a spinfishing guy , i have seen many times spinfishing guys useing worms and bait , there is no DOUBT that 99% of the poaching is being done by spinfishing guys , hate to say it but thats the facts , call fish and wildlife and ask them , 2 days ago at police boat launch at 3 in the afternoon , wardens sitting and waiting to catch a spinfishing guy who was useing bait , they have found and have his bait tub , so you see it is happening on the river lots , and yes i will call it in anytime i see it or even think it's happening , and it's pretty easy to tell if a fish is over 14 inchs even from a couple hundred yards away drifting by ,

i'm sure alot of members have seen it going on , i seem to remember reading lots of posts about it , maybe now you might understand why i asked him how his fishing was going on , and if he like to eat em , if he was doing nothing wrong then so be it , if he had said he like the fish and showed me some , well i'd of called it in on him

this whole thing is not about what was said , in your very first post you stated you knew me , then you could of just as easy sent me a email or even calling me like i said to you in the message ,

but no , you just wanted to start something and bitch or cry , maybe you should slip down to the nearest london drug store and get a baby suesse and hook it on your vest for when the next time your fishing and things just don't go as you'd of like you can sit back and suck on it like my little granddaughter does with hers when upset

rightyleegs

guides are not professionals ,you watch to much TV , thats doctors and lawyers , we just fish and make a little money doing what we like and it comes with some perks , don't worry about my company , i'm doing just fine as it is , maybe a little to fine , one can never make everyone happy , always will be someone who hates you or don't like what your doing , thats what emails for , life is way to short , go fishing and catch a few , enjoy it , and stop hiding behind your name also , that alone says alot to a person , like the guy who goes around makeing all the stupid posts calling himself jayjones11, or is that you also

and thats all i have to say about this whole stupid post