Fly Fusion Forums

New Humblefisherman Movie

Many of us fish our favorite rods day in and day out without knowing what goes into making that rod we are using.

I teamed up with Pieroway Rods here in Calgary to not only help design the rod but to document the process behind it. This is quite different than my regular vids, and presented many challenges for me as a producer. At long last it is done, and I'm happy to present you with the newest edition in our long line of fly fishing videos.

Building the Humble Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8G4QThnUMQ

hope you enjoy, thanks for watchin!

The Humblefisherman

Thanks guy's, it was a fun project and i'm super happy with how the rods turned out. Pieroway is a true artisan and very passionate about what he does, it comes across in the finished product. I think i've caught around 125 fish on that demo rod so far this year, and even fought a 3 foot long Bull (future episode). Still holding up strong. Those dudes make some nice rods.

Who makes their blanks or are they rolled in-house?

Like most other rod companies the blanks are rolled in Korea. Geoff has been over there, and developed a relationship with the company doing the blanks so they roll them to the specifications he gives them. He also does Bamboo, but he hand cuts the grass rods. The graphite blank we use for the humble rod is a dickerson taper, which is quite a similar in feel and castability to bamboo just alot faster, i like a slower tip with a stiff lower and thats what this has. I love the feel of the rod and the shorter handle, it also added a solid 15 feet to my roll cast. When i first started fishing this rod i told Geoff i wanted to chop 6 inches off the tip, just like i do with all my other store bought rods. After giving it a few trips out i have come to appreciate the softer tip on some of the advanced casting techniques. Been fishing my demo rod since February and fought two of my largest fish to date. The rod survived.

I told Geoff i had to put it through the ringer before id put my name on it... My name is now on it. The project took us 4 months to complete and i'm glad it's done. I love the rod.

On to more fishing vids ;)

Looking good Jay, would love to call a rod like that my own. How much do they retail for just out of curiousity. Do they come with a garentee of catching fish? :D

Cheers.

I think they are selling for around $380.00 maybe even a little less. Catchablity is infused into every rod ;)