Fly Fusion Forums

Bobber Fishing

Everyone else has probably figured out this little trick by now, but if not, I thought I should share it.

I believe the normal approach for most people, when rigging up a Rowley slip indicator for chironie fishing, is to have the plug at the top end -- i.e. pointing toward the rod. After having lost too many of these indicators when I've been snapped off, I've followed the suggestion of others, which is to tie on a swivel below the indicator, and then attach another length of tippet. Now if the snap-off occurs at the fly or the fly side of the swivel, the indicator won't slide off the line. However, for this to work properly, you need to have the plug end of the indicator pointing toward the swivel. The plug can't get past the swivel, but the hole in the foam bobber is big enough that it could, if not prevented from doing so by the plug.

Ok, all this is fairly standard stuff that many people use. What people may not be aware of, is that there is an added bonus to rigging the indicator upside down, as described. One of the problems in using these indicators is that if you don't cram the plug in tightly enough, it will come undone during casting. If you cram it in too tight, it won't pop when you hook a fish -- which can make life rather awkward if you've been fishing at 20'. What I've discovered with the upside down approach, is that if you reel or strip your line in to the point where the foam indicator butts up against the tip-top, additional reeling or stripping tension will pull the loop through the indicator, thus freeing it. The whole thing will slide down your line, with the plug still stuck in the foam ball. Works like a charm. Terry

Welcome to the millennium Taco! I guess you'll have to find a new use for your stash of these:

cork2.jpg

:P

P

Christ I finally got around to buying some thingmabobbers, will the insanity ever stop?

Good tips Terry. I have found that after a bunch of fish the line starts to wear out the hole inside the indicator and it starts to slip quite often (even when casting). Therefore I have returned to the old corky system. It adds another dimension to getting the fish in when you have to first land the toothpick, and then get down to where the fish is. Since we're releasing the fish its not that big a deal. I have rarely lost a fish while retrieving the toothpick. Someday I may get down to watch you land some fish.