Fly Fusion Forums

Numbers Game

What would gents consider an average day on the water in terms of production? Say you spend 3 hours on the water. Then share our best number on the bow to date and how long you were out.

I am sure I will see manny "any day on the water.....".....please spare the sentimate. Quantitative here for curiousity sake.

That's kind of hard to say because there are so many variables, location, time year, time of day, what the fish are taking etc. Because from one year to the next the Bow changes an awful lot. For me I have been skunked too many times to count them. Then I have had stellar days where I hooked 30 fish landed 12 or so. Usually I manage 4 or so to hand.

Looking at the log books I would say about 2-3/hr on an avg. day. A good day would be 4-5/hr and a phenomenal once a year day would be anything over that. That said, the ratios change depending upon a 2 hour day or a 6 hour day.

Best day of the year was landing 10, hooking 12 in 1.5 hours.

Hmmmm well obviously there are so many variables and changes season to season but if you averaged out of your last 20 trips to the water then 2-3 per hour to hand seems reasonabvle I suppose.

Who can claims they RARELY get skunked.

The bow is a big river and therefore the water is hard to read. After some time spent on it you will more easily find fish, but it will take time or a walk and wade by someone like Maxwell to shorten the learning curve.

If you are new to the river or even fly fishing, it can be a little daunting but well worth the time invested. Like others have already mentioned the catch rate really does depend on conditions. A couple of weeks ago you could see the fish rising to caddis with reckless abandon, it was like fishing a high mountain stream for cutts... yes they really were that willing. FFW to January and they are a lot more lethargic trying to conserve energy and simply make it to spring.

Bottom line: if you want to catch fish consistently you must learn how to nymph fish properly.

I am certainly no hotshot and am happy to return without being skunked. On any given outing I would say I catch around 3 fish and on a stellar day maybe 8-12 (3hr window). Keep in mind that one day can vary dramatically from the next. I have had great days that I try to relive the next day in the same or similar spot without the same success.

The bow is a great fishery-you would be a fool to argue otherwise.

jigsaw's got it right, someone who knows the Bow and a good nypmhing strategy are a big help, i'm a rookie, but with my friend's help i have managed to catch trout more times than i have not, a tough river the Bow - but a great one!

Jigsaw and others made some great points. First, no matter what river it is, the more you spend time on the water to develop a relationship to the river the better you will become at getting to know it, the hatches, and hopefully improve your skills in the meantime. Also, it totally depends on the style of fishing. I nymph 95% of the time, and fish predominantly fish under the water, therefore my chances increase.

When I first started I was VERY overwhelmed. I went with a guy who essentially caught a fish every dozen or so casts. Granted, he's one of the best anglers I know and has written articles and a book on fly-fishing, but nonetheless, it made me feel a bit out of place, frustrated, and bummed. But then I began reading some things on this board, learning from others, and simply spending LOTS of time on the water (50-100 days/year, depending on work schedule). This not only helped my skills, but my confidence as well.

I almost ignored this thread because of the effect that it may, as well as many other threads (specifically the "river reports") has on folks: creates a sense of competition. While some folks have that point of view of our sport, I believe most of us here will say that isn't the primary reason we go out every week. Its not about the number and size of fish, what gear you own, who your fishing buddies are, how many days you go out, how many flies you own, what fancy trick you can do with your stick, etc. Its about the river, the fish, and the experience.....

I'm skunked far more often than I am successful, but I don't let it get me down. Sure, I love to catch fish as much as the next guy, but with how drastically things change on the Bow, the fishing changes too. Even a few inches of water will change how fast the river flows, which will change where the fish are, and then you have to find them all over again.

Frustrating beast she is, but I love her none the less.

Well said. Its like any relationship, it has its ups and downs, but in the end the ups far outweigh the latter!

I'm skunked far more often than I am successful, but I don't let it get me down. Sure, I love to catch fish as much as the next guy, but with how drastically things change on the Bow, the fishing changes too. Even a few inches of water will change how fast the river flows, which will change where the fish are, and then you have to find them all over again.

Frustrating beast she is, but I love her none the less.

Reading the comments I gotta add that my good days on the Bow are at known locations, known times, and basically known fish. I have explored a good deal of the Bow in my area and those explorations rarely resulted in many fish, it is the return trips that produce, I am at a point that I rarely do fish the Bow, but when I do it is very targeted fishing and I simply don't go there if the conditions are not conducive to success. With so many good options in the area I simply don't fish the Bow unless I can stack the odds in my favour. This is why I have good success, completely attributable to experience, not knowledge or skills. I have only fished the Bow in Calgary twice and got blanked both attempts so those that point out that this question is relative make a really good point. - "hotshot" har har, not likely, considering getting blanked seems to be my theme so far this year LOL, my numbers on the Bow are the result of the previous work I put into the river, good planning, and good record keeping, and nothing more.

I still have unexplored areas between Lake Louise and the headwater to hit but even in those unknown waters I suspect I will at minimum get a few little guys even on the crappiest day, the river is much smaller here so finding suitable holds is a less daunting task than down river - and to be honest I save exploration for weather that suits dry fly fishing so the odds are stacked in my favour, even on "new to me" water as far as the Bow is concerned.

If you asked the same question 15 years ago my answer would have been 1 fish for every 10 to 20 times out, and it was persistence in those conditions that earned me the success I am seeing now and it wasn't because I wanted some kind of bragging right - it was because I enjoy flyfishing wether I am catching fish or not, enjoying some success was an incidental development over the years of wandering up and down what I consider to be one of the most beautiful places the world has to offer. Geez not to put to blunt a point on it but at this point, if my dog could talk she would be able to tell you where and when to catch fish on the Bow up here just from her years of casual observation.

well if you go this year she's fantastic, if you really know how to catch bow river trout. a great day (full day) for me right now would be somewhere in the range of 20 or more landed fish. An average 3 hour session (picking of course the best time of day, etc) could result in anything from zero takes ... doh picked the wrong fly, spot, or time... or else maybe a hayday of fish 10-12 in that 3 hour period to hand type of outing. I had one like that last week... got a dozen in about an hour once I found what water type they were in for that day and what they wanted (so happened to be stonefly nymphs in about 3 feet of fast chop next to a big drop off / slack water area)

I should add too that I really no longer care too much about numbers. I used to... big time. my logs religiously counted them. Now, as I get older, I find anytime I land more than about 10 I am not sure quite how many... LOL :)

Brian,

I totally do not believe that last statement!

I often fish in 1 to 3 hour sessions. 10 fish landed for 3 hours is a GOOD day for me. I would peg the average somewhere in the 6 range, maybe a touch less. Again, that is for me. But to the guy who says the numbers are exaggerated, I can honestly say I don't get skunked that often, assuming I'm out for more than 1 hour. It certainly happens from time to time, but it is rare. You can usually find something that works for at least one eager fish!

I will add that I typically fish water I know pretty well, and have a pretty good idea of where fish should be in most conditions. Helps when you are casting to where they will likely be.

Ok now for a little revival with a twist. Can you compare the NW (where I often fish) to the south. I obviously know that the souths vegetation blah blah......but how much. Of a difference does it make on the numbers game in your opinion.

Tons (tonnes)!! Night and Day! No comparison!

P

Ok now for a little revival with a twist. Can you compare the NW (where I often fish) to the south. I obviously know that the souths vegetation blah blah......but how much. Of a difference does it make on the numbers game in your opinion.