Fly Fusion Forums

Woke up this morn to a strange new crazy ass pain, I have never felt before, in my foot just above my big toe, Hmm, wonder if I can walk on it???...Put weight on it and holy shmoly, the pain was a broken bone like kinda pain....wondering what the heck could have caused it, it then kicked in my head that my Brother had Gout in his big toe for the 1st time about 6 weeks ago, and he was one hurtin unit....Talked to my Mom, and she said it runs in her side of the family, and her twin Brother gets it often....Also knowing a friend of mine had it last year, I phoned him up to see if he had any meds left from his last attack, He did, I work for him doin yard maintenance, so he guessed I wasnt joining him today at work, and he was right, I can hardly walk....Been doin some research this morn on Gout...Its a nasty thing....Just thought I would share this great new experience, and wondering if Anyone one else get this pain in the ass crap, if so, did you find out a way to prevent it, other than meds??? (I dont like meds) or have any personal tips???....

..Jeff... :curse:

There's a list of foods to avoid - diet is a big thing with controlling gout. something else you may want to try - half a teaspoon of baking soda in water before bedtime... A friend gets gout, i've never had it - but it seems the acids build up in your system overnight and the baking soda helps him...

I feel for you, my friend suffers with it terribly when he's off his diet.

Diet is important. Here's a list of foods to avoid. http://www.joint-pain.com/low-purine-diet.html also black cherry extract daily helps. (available at health food stores). Once you get an attack I suggest getting a prescription for Methacin. It is a STRONG anti-inflammatory and can be hard on the stomach. But I'll take that over the pain.It cures me...sometimes within hours.

Ya wanna feel pain? try putting a dry leather wading boot on!!! OUCH!!!!

Hope this helps. I've felt ur pain. You have my sympathy...

oh, if you don't want prescription meds for a pain killer, you should try a product called Mersyndol - they are non prescription but you have to ask the pharmacist for them. T3's never did squat for me with pain and mersyndol is lower on codiene but they work wonders - even on migraine. Haven't had to take them in years but it's the first thing i'll reach for if i'm in serious pain.

Lots of good info on the net but stick to reputable sites (such as the Arthritis Society) - lots of snake oil solutions that can do more harm than good. I have SRA and believe me, there are a lot of people out there willing to take advantage of your pain to make a buck. Try to get a referral to a rheumatologist from your family doc and get your advice from a pro.

Personally I don't take painkillers - I consider them a slippery slope to addiction - I only use anti-inflamatories (nsaids plus deasease modifiers at about 30k a year, luckily covered under a special blue cross insurance), diet and life management to control my pain but that said each person is different and what works for one may not work for another.

I see Dr Liam Martin with the U of C rheumatology department at foothills - He basically gave me my life back - I was on a walker 6 years ago and preparing to move to a wheelchair when I was refered to him, now I am out-hiking guys half my age. G'luck

I've also had gout attacks in the past. The acid doesn't build up overnight - it takes time and accumulates from your diet. Anti inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen can help (Tylenol is not an anti inflammatory medication) relieve the pain. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to drink ALOT of water. It will help dilute the acid levels and allow some of the crystals to dissolve. Then try to see a doctor about it, who will probably send you for a blood test and prescribe an anti inflammatory to help with the pain.

Doctors can also prescribe allopurinol, which kicks out the acid (and at first can cause another attack) but prevents the acid from building up in your bloodstream thereafter. It's something you'll have to take every day for it to be effective. I used to take allopurinol but since I've changed my diet to eliminate fatty foods, sweets, and other things on the bad list, and have increased my water intake, I haven't needed it.

The worst part about gout is that if you don't make changes it will get worse, spreading to your feet and knees. Taking pain medications for long periods of time can have some serious side effects, so they shouldn't be viewed as the answer.

Guest Sundancefisher
Woke up this morn to a strange new crazy ass pain, ...

..Jeff... :curse:

I am confused...this sounds like Hemorrhoids does it not? :angel:smail:

Mike had it....I saw the pain and hope I never have to live it.

He weathered his one attack for 5 days because we didn't know about the meds that were out there to help during an attack. We do now.

We were told preventatively the best thing he could do was cut down on red meat, beer and wine, drink lots of water and eat sour cherries daily (you can buy them in a glass jar in the grocery store). He's done that (doesn't eat the cherries anymore) and not had another attack since. With things like this I believe prevention is the best medicine....as much as it may suck. But I hear the pain sucks worse.

Thanx for the tips and experiences, and of course the smart ass remarks..lol. :P ....By the end of yesterday, I could not walk and the pain was worse than having a broken bone, the pain was gettin close to a kidney stone pain level (I passed one when I was 20 years old)....Thank god my brother brought over some leftover Tylenol 3's last night, or I would have lost my mind...The Meds, black cherry juice and liters of water seem to be workin, its a little better today, I can slowly walk again, I had to crawl to the bathroom last night.....I think I narrowed the gout down to the warm weather we had therefore BBQ'ing daily=to much meat and beer consumption,...However I am going to be a lot more cautious from here on in, I do not want gout again!!!

Cheers...Jeff..

I had it about 1 year ago, i feel your pain it #@*%# hurts. :crybaby:

Went to the Doc :dr: and was told I had Rich Man's Disease? ??????? Gout.

You can control with diet. :rulzz: Items on the list include Red Meat(which I didn't stop eating), Salmon, Oily Fish, Shell fish, Beans, Asparagus, Cauliflower among some others.

A few months ago I had a couple of Salmon sandwiches for lunch, Baked Salmon for dinner and a couple of more Salmon sandwhiches the next day for lunch. The pain was starting to come back in the toe. I still eat most of the above, although now I try not to each too much in a short period of time. Dried Cranberries and Cranberry juice is also an antidote.

For me initially though the Meds worked great. :wave_smile:

gout is when you eat too much meat, drink too much booze etc. The ureic acid crystalizes because your kidneys can't get it out fast enough and there's not enough water in the body. So, the body sticks these crystals in places far away from the kidneys until body chemistry returns to normal and the kidneys can get the acid out.

Drink about 4l of water a day for a few days, get the drugs to break up the crystals and mind your eating habits and you'll be good to go in a couple days. Once it's gone, keep watching what you eat and drink or it'll be back. Gout is like an arthritis. Once you get it, you're at risk for flare ups if you're not careful.

Sorry for your luck about the toe.

I thought I had gout. Same deal as you last year with my big toes. Turns out it is psoriatic arthritis (is this what you meant by SRA, Pipestone?). My father dealt with gout the last half of his life, but, looking back, it was more likely psoriatic arthritis.

Just pointing out that if you have a an itchy scalp and a fat toes, don't let a Dr. tell you it is gout without a second opinion. My father's Dr. was a quack. He was dealing with kidney stones, and his Dr. told him it was the Clap. He didn't know what the clap was, and came home and anounced he had the Clap. Ha! Quite a scene. My mother did not find it as funny as it was. He passed a stone a few days later, which got him out of the dog house.

(Shameless promo) My wife is a private dietician and has done a few gout consults. If you're feeling overwhelmed by the diet change, she could help. We're in Calgary but make it out to the Hat regularly to see family. 10% discount to you because you fly fish!

Hey Coner - I have Severe Rheaumatoid Arthritis - gout seems to show up now and again too, part & parcel. The disease is rare in men, about 1 in 5000, lucky for me advances in medicine have it under control - if this is the worst medical situation I have in life I guess in the big picture I am pretty lucky

The missus has been "suggesting" years that I see a dietician so I may take you up on that offer. I've never wanted to go because I know its going to be bad news for me I'm sure - I love my red meat and night shades too much - I suspect half my diet is on the no-no list - despite that I am thinking I need to bite the bullet now I'm creeping into my mid forties not to mention 16 years of high dose anti-inflamatories are taking their toll on my stomach.

Thanx for the offer Conor....Im kinda thinkin the way Pipestone is...Scared to go see a dietician, I like good food way toooo much, along with a few beers, good Merlot wine and the odd Gin and tonic....My new gout resolution- everything in moderation....My gout started clearing up after the 3rd day (planned on fishin Bullshead all weekend..not) ....The gout went from the upper joint of my big toe, to the whole upper part of my foot....My god, that was something!!!....Now my other foot/angle is sore from limping around on it, taking all the weight..Done a lot of research on gout, and wow, there is so much info, some info makes sense, and some, not so much....Once again, thanx for the input from everyone, it helped....And like I said above- Everything in moderation, I hope..

Cheers...Jeff..

Thanx for the offer Conor....Im kinda thinkin the way Pipestone is...Scared to go see a dietician, I like good food way toooo much, along with a few beers, good Merlot wine and the odd Gin and tonic....My new gout resolution- everything in moderation....My gout started clearing up after the 3rd day (planned on fishin Bullshead all weekend..not) ....The gout went from the upper joint of my big toe, to the whole upper part of my foot....My god, that was something!!!....Now my other foot/angle is sore from limping around on it, taking all the weight..Done a lot of research on gout, and wow, there is so much info, some info makes sense, and some, not so much....Once again, thanx for the input from everyone, it helped....And like I said above- Everything in moderation, I hope..

Cheers...Jeff..

jeff..have a remedy..p.m. sent