Fly Fusion Forums

Car Trouble

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

The front end of my '03 Civic has become noisy. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like I have knobby tires on my car. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind a heads up before I take in to get fixed. Thanks guys.

-N-

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if you find yourself down by the Automall, give me a shout and we could go for a drive. Cell # is still the same. Can you feel a vibration?

Two things you could try.

Look at your CV boots - any cracks or tears in the boot and your CV's will be toast very soon if not already

also - try cranking your steering slowly from far right to left and vise versa while driving slowly - if you hear a popping sound or binding you most likely have a CV problem (usually near the end of the left or right turning range)

Other cause could be a broken band or belt in a tire

It would be good advice to get a licensed tech to take a look at it right away

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect an old post to add to. The above problem turned out to be wheel bearings. Now I have a new problem that's been plaguing me since last May. No less than four mechanics have tried to fix this. My car overheats periodically and so far I've had it pressure tested (no leaks), the cooling system has been flushed, rad cap replaced, new thermostat and the last guy tried something with the fan. The overheating usually happens when I've been driving around the city for a while and then get stuck in traffic or stopped at a light. But it's happened while driving on the highway - I can't make it to Stavely without it starting to overheat. When that happens it usually subsides when I start going again, but often I'll have to pull over and shut the car off to let it cool down. I may be able to drive on then with no problems. I'm also losing heat periodically, but it always comes back to normal, then it'll start blowing cold air again, and so on. While it's been in the middle of overheating I've checked the fan and it's never on; it should be if the car is overheating right? I just can't figure out why none of the mechanics have keyed into this. The last guy did something with the computer codes and the fan was indeed working properly but eventually quit on me again. So I'm thinking I need a new fan maybe. Thoughts? Any idea what a new fan for this will cost me?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i wonder if your water pump is blown? If coolant isn't circulating properly this would explain the lack of the rad fan, over heating and the lack of warm air.

The front end of my '03 Civic has become noisy. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like I have knobby tires on my car. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind a heads up before I take in to get fixed. Thanks guys.

-N-

Hey J

......Gimme a shout, I'm the New Vehicle Sales Manager@ Honda West and if I cant help I can put you in contact with our Parts Manager.

4033907144 cell

Craig

I thought I'd resurrect an old post to add to. The above problem turned out to be wheel bearings. Now I have a new problem that's been plaguing me since last May. No less than four mechanics have tried to fix this. My car overheats periodically and so far I've had it pressure tested (no leaks), the cooling system has been flushed, rad cap replaced, new thermostat and the last guy tried something with the fan. The overheating usually happens when I've been driving around the city for a while and then get stuck in traffic or stopped at a light. But it's happened while driving on the highway - I can't make it to Stavely without it starting to overheat. When that happens it usually subsides when I start going again, but often I'll have to pull over and shut the car off to let it cool down. I may be able to drive on then with no problems. I'm also losing heat periodically, but it always comes back to normal, then it'll start blowing cold air again, and so on. While it's been in the middle of overheating I've checked the fan and it's never on; it should be if the car is overheating right? I just can't figure out why none of the mechanics have keyed into this. The last guy did something with the computer codes and the fan was indeed working properly but eventually quit on me again. So I'm thinking I need a new fan maybe. Thoughts? Any idea what a new fan for this will cost me?

When they flushed the cooling system and replaced the rad cap, did they check to make sure the radiator fins are nice and clean and not full of bugs? Could be that it's plugged up and has insufficient air flow to properly cool..

As for the hot/cold/hot/cold thing, I'm having the same problem with my Grand Caravan right now. Something's goofy. I replaced the thermostat and it seemed good for awhile, but it's happening again after a few weeks. I have a couple more ideas.. just not too keen on working in the cold.

Thanks a lot gents for all the feedback. The thermostat has been replaced and the radiator has been checked and rechecked for problems. The fan clutch hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. I'm now thinking it's the water pump AND the switch Jay mentioned. Another Civic owner on a forum mentioned a relay switch for the fan. I don't think the water pump and fan have anything to do with each other and the fan is definitely not workling (confirmed yesterday) but wouldn't cause heat fluctuation - at least in my mechanically feeble mind. Anyway I have a couple of things to mention to the mechanic next week when I take it in, yet again.

Thanks guys

N

Thanks a lot gents for all the feedback. The thermostat has been replaced and the radiator has been checked and rechecked for problems. The fan clutch hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. I'm now thinking it's the water pump AND the switch Jay mentioned. Another Civic owner on a forum mentioned a relay switch for the fan. I don't think the water pump and fan have anything to do with each other and the fan is definitely not workling (confirmed yesterday) but wouldn't cause heat fluctuation - at least in my mechanically feeble mind. Anyway I have a couple of things to mention to the mechanic next week when I take it in, yet again.

Thanks guys

N

Blowing cold air means you're not getting circulation in the system. You can overheat the engine and still have cold air blowing. Not sure where your fan switch is but they were located to respond to water temperature in vehicles I worked on in my past. Likely problem is the water pump. The impeller would be spinning on the shaft.

Take the belt off the water pump pulley and spin the pulley manually and feel for any grinding - then try to move it around, there shouldn't be any play. Put it back together and with the car cold, pull the rad cap and leave it off and top off your fluid if necessary. Start the car and let it warm - if the thermostat opens properly, you'll see the coolant flow. If the water pump feels ok and the coolant doesn't flow then you may have a faulty thermostat (yes, i've had a faulty new one). If you really want to know if your system is running fine, take the thermostat out and start the car. If the pump and the system is ok, then fluid should flow right away.

If the fan isn't kicking in, get the thermostatic switch changed or like someone else said, hotwire it on.

You could have an airlock in the system as well, would cause all your problems.

If the mechanic has been messing around and changing parts, then scratching his head? Get another mechanic - honda's aren't rocket science.