Fly Fusion Forums

Mullard

ben

Hi all,

OK, it's not a salmonide, but it was the strongest fish (per pound) that I had on a fly so far. Because a mullard is strictly vegatarian you can only seduce them by an imitation of.....weed. Algue in this case, imitated by some olive marabou on a strong hook. It was my first mullard on the fly ever.

Had him (her ??) last weekend on an #8 and he was about 25". A real beauty!

post-803-1187470402.jpg

Like it?

Ben, Holland

Cool. That is a mullet if I'm not mistaken. Called a mullard in Holland I guess? Nice fish though, saltwater species sure do pull don't they!

Oeps, thanks esleech, it ís a mullet, sorry, should have looked in the dictionary before......

Yes, it is a salwaterspecies that come in the rivers during summer to spawn. Very hard to catch with flies but much easier with a spinning rod with a piece of bread on the hook.

But so much more fun to finally have one with my fly rod. Guess that's the difference between quality and quantity ......??!!

You find them almost everywhere in the world but they grow very big in our region.

Regards,

Ben

OK, so you have given me something to shoot for next time I go home. We key on mullet as a visual indicator for the presence of predators, ie, trout and redfish. I've foul hooked many in my life, and they do pull pretty darn good. I've never thought of targeting them, as they are as you said plant eaters, mostly algae from what I understand, in Texas anyway. They don't get as big in Texas (could be the first time that statement has ever been made), but they do get into the mid teens, and you can find huge rafts of them that size sometimes. I will try to hook one on a fly rod, because it would be a hoot, because as you said, they pack a huge punch. I'm pretty sure Bonefish are in the same family. Thanks for the idea!

• 1 month later...
Cool. That is a mullet if I'm not mistaken. Called a mullard in Holland I guess? Nice fish though, saltwater species sure do pull don't they!

that is a mullet for sure, not sure what kind since there are different kinds. They are a nice strong fish. And in Holland, ( as Iam Dutch) we call them " Harder" They do actually swim up river estuaries, so sometimes you can catch them in fresh water or brackkish water.

(also make a great bait for other bigger predators, Roosterfish love 'm) I would love to target them on the flyrod.

It's pure sightfishing, very exciting !

I take my bike and look for a school of mullets (like bonefish, you can see the tips of their tails above the watersurface) in undeep water (maybe a foot or so).

You carefully sneek upstream and slowly let the "algue-imitation" drift as close to their mouth as possible.

Sometimes they take it.....

You can also fish for mullets where I deliver my loads in Arkansas. You need to tie on a #4-0 pack of Marlboro's, and present them in the Nascar feeding lanes... if that fails, try a #0-6 Can of Skoal. Sure fire catchin, but some consider that as lowly as baitin 'em :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ben, I'm fine. Nice to see you on these forums ;-)