Fly Fusion Forums

One-day Golden Trout Heli Trips

on my wish list for sure to someday chopper in/out to one of them high lakes with appropriate refreshments and cast to some of dem dere foreigner trout.

agreed the mode of transportation is a gigglefest.

I would love to be able to do that hike but with a twice reconstructed knee on one side, an prosthetic hip above it, and a posthetic knee on the other side I think maybe I just might be able to justify using a chopper. Perhaps some folks here may someday be capable of widening their views enough to recognize that true personal gratification comes from the measure of yourself against your own objectives and goals and if the dude standing beside you can hike 75km that's awesome, and maybe he should run out and buy a tee shirt that says "I'M AWESOME" cause you know, he is just THAT awesome !

Seriously though - Wes is onto a very valid concept that the harder you work for something, the greater the reward - Of course that's true regardless of your ability. I don't find the comment to be remotely offensive as a legally disabled person or otherwise - perhaps the context created an image of exclusion but I'd be willing to bet that was not the intent and I would hope that we all take the time to think, "hmmm what is the intent here" before reacting to a post or comment even though I know from experience that is rarely the case. Now that said the next time I fly into a lake I am going to offer a $100 tip to the pilot if he can blow all the hikers tents out into the middle of the lake LOL

I would love to be able to do that hike but with a twice reconstructed knee on one side, an prosthetic hip above it, and a posthetic knee on the other side I think maybe I just might be able to justify using a chopper. .............

Holy crap, and I thought I was the Bionic Fly Fisher, but with just two hip replacements, I'm not even in the same league as you. :lol: Terry

Perhaps some folks here may someday be capable of widening their views enough to recognize that true personal gratification comes from the measure of yourself against your own objectives and goals and if the dude standing beside you can hike 50km that's awesome, and maybe he should run out and buy a tee shirt that says "I'M AWESOME" across their chest, cause you know, they are just THAT awesome !

awesome summary.

I would love to be able to do that hike but with a twice reconstructed knee on one side, an prosthetic hip above it, and a posthetic knee on the other side I think maybe I just might be able to justify using a chopper. Perhaps some folks here may someday be capable of widening their views enough to recognize that true personal gratification comes from the measure of yourself against your own objectives and goals and if the dude standing beside you can hike 75km that's awesome, and maybe he should run out and buy a tee shirt that says "I'M AWESOME" cause you know, he is just THAT awesome !

Seriously though - Wes is onto a very valid concept that the harder you work for something, the greater the reward - Of course that's true regardless of your ability. I don't find the comment to be remotely offensive as a legally disabled person or otherwise - perhaps the context created an image of exclusion but I'd be willing to bet that was not the intent and I would hope that we all take the time to think, "hmmm what is the intent here" before reacting to a post or comment even though I know from experience that is rarely the case. Now that said the next time I fly into a lake I am going to offer a $100 tip to the pilot if he can blow all the hikers tents out into the middle of the lake LOL

Whoa...Dude, I wasn't bragging about the length of the hike, I was just stating the distance. Read my post, I never said a damn thing about needing to earn the hike in, the only reason I even said anything about the fly in guys is because I was pissed about all the beer cans they were likely leaving behing. I believe I actually said that this lake would be better as a fly-in or pack trip? If you are jealous then just say so, no need to slag me for prefering to walk in? Why would I pay for a ride when I can walk in for free and enjoy the bonus of a great journey in. I work out of choppers all the time, so honestly the hike was great. Also, jokes aside, your comment about tipping the pilot to buzz hikers tents off is ridiculous, I dare you to try it. I don't want to sound uptight, but I don't understand why there has always got to be haters on here? Especially when there is no apparent reason. I suppose the anonymity makes it easy? I wasn't even going to step near this, but for some reason you are throwing personal digs.

Am I the only one that thinks in order to be able to fish for them you should earn it with the hike in?

Hikers suck. There is no reason my tax payer dollars should go towards creating trails in the bush when I can easily chopper in.

I'M AWESOME

This topic is too funny, since I'm a newbie here I figure it's best if I keep my opinion to myself. One piece of advice if you do decide to fly. When you're chatting with the pilot on the headset don't use the word chopper, helicopter pilots hate that word and it will make you look like a newbie. Better to use "the bird" or "the machine". Many seasons of Heli-portable seismic and planting taught me this. :cheers:

For Golden's I have hiked a few times, taken a helicopter, and this year have a 5 day horse pack trip setup for July. Personally, I think the mode of transport is irrelevant as long as a high level of environmental stewardship is maintained. As witnessed last year at Barnaby there are just as many douche bag slobs with physical ability as there are without.

Iasgair, you said you are limited to 1 day but I would urge you to reconsider and at least plan for one overnight. I don't believe that Ice Field Helicopters charges extra for that. If you fly in for just a day you will miss the two best times for fishing; dawn and dusk. Michel lake is a featureless lake that has one shallow flat that the fish move up on only at those times. Otherwise, long line nymph under an indicator and wait.

This topic is too funny, since I'm a newbie here I figure it's best if I keep my opinion to myself. One piece of advice if you do decide to fly. When you're chatting with the pilot on the headset don't use the word chopper, helicopter pilots hate that word and it will make you look like a newbie. Better to use "the bird" or "the machine". Many seasons of Heli-portable seismic and planting taught me this. :cheers:

Don't worry, I don't feel like a newbie.