Fly Fusion Forums

Length Vs Weight

Was talking to a neighbor this afternoon who told me a friend of his caught a 9 pounder at policeman's today. I suspect both these guys are hardware fisher's (and very possibly fish exagerators). In any case, for the rest of use who tend to measure fish by length, how long would a bow river trout have to be to be 9 pounds? (didn't mention brown or bow).

James

It's funny...I grew up fishing for pike and walleye (jack and pickerel if you're from Saskatchewan) and everything was by weight. When you caught a big fish you pulled out the scale, not the measuring tape. As soon as someone refers to a trout by weight, I get suspicious and honestly have no idea what they are talking about. I've never weighed a single trout I've ever caught.

The first time i weighed a trout i guessed 3lbs, it was 1.75 lbs.I don't weigh fish either 24" sounds more impressive.

Back in the day i landed one of those Crawling Valley Res, hogs It taped out at 28" if i remember right and it weighed 14lbs.Im sure alot of people remember those hogs they were pretty fat.

I don't agree with any of this, I caught a 21" brown yesterday that was maybe 2 lbs. It was so skinny I could almost close my fingers around it with one hand. A friend of mine caught a lake rainbow last year (bonavista I think) it was 8lbs exactly and taped at 26.5" so I would say it's gotta be damn close to that. Course It coulda been a skinny 30" fish who knows.

I still measure pike/walleye with weight - my biggest pike on the fly is 7.5lbs (Wolf Lk) but I couldn't tell you how long that was. Caught opening week so the fish was skinny compared to how they look in the fall.

I'd be concerned about how exactly one goes about weighting a trout without mis-handling the fish. IS there a net that does that or was the fish hung by its gills.

I still measure pike/walleye with weight - my biggest pike on the fly is 7.5lbs (Wolf Lk) but I couldn't tell you how long that was. Caught opening week so the fish was skinny compared to how they look in the fall.

I'd be concerned about how exactly one goes about weighting a trout without mis-handling the fish. IS there a net that does that or was the fish hung by its gills.

I've seen them on-line before

I bought one when I was in NZ. Not sure how acurate, but would give you an idea. It just has a strain gauge built into the handle. Net the fish, let him calm down for a second, lift the fish out of the water a few inches with the net. It has a huge basket on it, so the fish stays horizontal.

Or clip the net's french clip onto the stringer and weigh the fish that way. Kidding, kidding.

Here is a formula used for steelhead:

- Steelhead: girth squared x length x 1.33 divided by 1000 (inches)

OR

The following is an excerpt from: http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2008/05/06...eelhead-weight/

Tom Keelin, an engineering guru and fly fisherman, recently published a new, more accurate way to estimate the weight of fish. The article ran in the May 2008 issue of Fly Fisherman. The conventional formula: weight = length x girth (squared)/800 underestimates the true weight of steelhead, according to Keelin. The more accurate equation, based on collected data from 87 steelhead weighed on an IGFA certified scale, is: weight = lenthg x girth (squared)/690. Keelin says using a denominator of 690 correctly estimates a steelhead’s weight within one pound, 80% of the time.

Keelin’s Website, FlyFishingResearch.net, features an article explaining how to calculate fish weight, as well as an online fish weight calculator.

Guys,

I've caught browns 24" long that might have weighted 5 lbs. barely [flowing water]. A friend has a brown on the wall that was 24" - weighted 10 lbs. 14 ozs. [ beaver dam]

Weight depends on genetics, water quality & flow rate.

catch ya'

Don

The only fish I didn't release last year; hence the crap net and rocks. It was taken from a river in Nova Scotia. I forget the exact length but it was a fair size fish, 20 inches I think, and fat. It weighed exactly 1.75 pounds. Before weighing it that night I was sure it was gonna be heavier. A 9 pound trout has gotta be huge. My guess is just shy of 30" and fat. The average Atlantic Salmon out here is 12 pounds and around 32" long.

3810299374_6e4f794033_b.jpg