Fly Fusion Forums

Smelly Hackle

jononfire

SO i just got a dry fly beginner pack from howard Hackle and it very nice. The quality seems very high (to my in experienced eyes) so all and all i am really happy with it. However it smell REALLY strong like moth balls or something and i haven't even opened the bag yet. Anything i can do?

SO i just got a dry fly beginner pack from howard Hackle and it very nice. The quality seems very high (to my in experienced eyes) so all and all i am really happy with it. However it smell REALLY strong like moth balls or something and i haven't even opened the bag yet. Anything i can do?

Don't lick it! In all seriousness though, I've bought capes before that absolutely stunk, Just dealt with it and ether I got use to it or it went away. However if you really not impressed I'd give him a call and see what he say's.

I loathe that smell.

I have never purchased Howard's Hackle before, but I have had problems with fur and feathers from other suppliers. In those cases the skin of the beasts hadn't been properly cured, and it had started to go rancid.

In one case, with an expensive hackle, I removed all of the hackle from the skin and tossed the skin. I put the feathers in a cheap ziplock container, punched a bunch of holes in the lid, and put them outside to air out (in a place protected from the elements). The smell did leave the hackle after a week, or so.

In the second case, with a cheap piece of deer hair, I tossed it in the garbage.

Don't lick it! In all seriousness though, I've bought capes before that absolutely stunk, Just dealt with it and ether I got use to it or it went away. However if you really not impressed I'd give him a call and see what he say's.

im not too worried about it just curious thats all as i said the quality looks to be very good so ill deal with the smell!!!

Take the cape out of it's plastic hang it some where and and air it out for a while, it should lessen the smell. I get the odd cape like that but it dosn't bother me, all my capes are in the same drawer of the roll top. The way I figure it it helps keep the bugs off my other capes.

Take the cape out of it's plastic hang it some where and and air it out for a while, it should lessen the smell. I get the odd cape like that but it dosn't bother me, all my capes are in the same drawer of the roll top. The way I figure it it helps keep the bugs off my other capes.

fair enough i was tying with it last night and about 5 seconds after i forgot all about it

the smell sucks but like others have mentioned inwiuld strip the hackle sort them according too size leave them out for a few days too dry and air out then bag em! I've had similar products before. . . u might be able too eashhem too with a light soap bt I'm not sure if t would help much!