Fly Fusion Forums

Your Largest Bow River Trout/char

Your largest Bow River trout  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is the largest Trout you have caught on the Bow?

• 30+
    • 29"
    • 28"
    • 27"
    • 26"
    • 25"
    • 24"
    • 23"
    • 22"
    • 21"
    • 20"
    • 19" and under

Yes all were browns! He actually put together a cool video (and they were all caught in the winter to boot - (he called it - "When you're this BIG, they call you Mister" - come to think of it, Peter Monod saw that particular video, as well as a few others in the Bow Valley, as well as here in Cowtown [this was before FFC]),!! Believe it or not, it doesn't matter to me...

P

P,

Were they Browns? Assuming they are where you say they were caught.

Although a 30"+ Bull is a grand fish, you really can not compare a Bull to a Brown when you are talking length, two different beasts. At least in Western Canadian rivers.. (yes I did see the picture of the new potential record brown!)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My best Brown from the Bow was exactly 27 3/4 inches, caught in bowness stretch, years ago. I do have a photo of it , as proof. My best Rainbow, by length, is 23 inches. Caught at mackinnons flats, way back in 1985. However, I caught a rainbow trout in fish creek park in October, 2005, which dwarfed my longest as far as size goes. That one was 22 inches and over 5 lbs. in weight.

My first & largest bow river brown was 25" this summer on my first day of fly fishing in 20 years. As one can imagine it was a nice reintroduction.

As for there being larger 30"+ fish out there, I would believe that there are a few out there.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

It's amazing how all the people on this thread who say "it can't be done" are talking about browns or rainbows, and totally ignoring the fact that people could have landed a bull, or, in fact, even a laker. I've heard tales of large lakers come out of the NW below bearspaw...

The only photo evidence of a brown larger than 30 on here is dean's photo, though. I sure wish I had gotten mine to shore... and I'm sure anyone else who's landed a monster like that and not had the good fortune to get a picture feels the same way. For those that are skeptical about the largest Bull picture (of the 33 incher) that I posted... I ask "what more do you want"...

On a sidenote. I know if I leave the camera at home I'm almost bound to catch either an extremely large fish, or one so brilliantly colored that I wish I had taken the hour to go get the forgotten camera from home. :)

Brown = trout

Rainbow = trout

Lake "Trout" = char

Bull "Trout" = char

The title is fairly apparent that it states what is the largest TROUT out of the bow.

You would figure that with 18 people having caught trout over 30", at least one would have a photo of it

BBT no need to explain yourself to those who don't read well, or can't actually take the time to read through a thread before posting there damned uneducated opinions as usual on this board.. The ORIGINAL POST that started this thread said this!

**NOTE you can vote more then once since maybe you caught a monster Brown, Rainbow or Bull etc.**

yes it says BULL trout

Hence people adding their bull trout. If this was only for browns and rainbows, there wouldn't be as many 30+'s ...

32" here. If you fish with enough people you will learn that the fish they are landing are alot smaller than they say. Have we ever fished with someone that says 20+ to every fish he catches only to reel it in and find it is only 16/17. Hell Ive done it, not for a few years but I have done it! The way I see it is, unless you measure the fish and take pics I dont believe you!