Fly Fusion Forums

Hand Tied Flies

Right.. because the fish are totally sitting there going "hey fred, don't you dare eat THAT fly, it's less than $3 for sure!"

<--poke--<

funny guy, thats not what I'm implying. I'm wondering if there tied to last or if your getting what your paying for. It just seems really cheap.

I'm just buggin..

I think they're normally ~$15/dozen, but right now are on sale for $7.88/dozen. I believe it's because they're switching suppliers. But like BBT said, can't go wrong with any of the site sponsers either! Lots of people are big fans of IckyFlyWorks, myself included.

funny guy, thats not what I'm implying. I'm wondering if there tied to last or if your getting what your paying for. It just seems really cheap.

Before I started tying my own I bought a bunch from Wholesale because of the price. Most of them would fall apart after one or two fish. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

if I didn't tie them they are usually Icky, unless it is a moment of awe damn I have none of that speacial fly for this trip then a quick stop to Fish tales, is in order.

and of course i ussually when out of town stop at the local shop get river conditions and advice and always buy 2 dozen while I am there. figure you can't get the low down with out paying something.

Hey guys, if you're gonna spend 7 bucks on a dozen flies, I can tell you they are speed tied in the philipines lol and are therefore not the greatest quality and don't hold together all that well. But grab a bottle of head cement (bout 5 bucks and it'll last you juuust about forever) and buy 2 dozen flies, and put a dab of cement on each fly and they'll last a whole lot longer. do this to all your store baught flies if you paid less than 2 bucks for them IMO.

I do the same thing. Head cement must be illegal in korea because it makes a huge difference.

If you tie 500 flies in a day, cutting cost anywhere you can saves money in the long run, the 10 seconds it takes to cement is equivelant to 83 minutes after 500 flies, and when you're speed tieing flies in 2-3 minutes, that's like 30-40 flies so I am assuming that's why they don't cement.

Not 500 a day, but 50 dozen a week is about right. Some do use head cement, but many do not, it really depends on where they are coming from. Many of the ones that do use cement tend to fill in the eyes anyhow. The bigger issue is the hooks used in many of the mass produced bargain flies. I don't put a lot of stock in them as I've had a few very nice fish bend out or break the cheap hooks.

Not 500 a day, but 50 dozen a week is about right. Some do use head cement, but many do not, it really depends on where they are coming from. Many of the ones that do use cement tend to fill in the eyes anyhow. The bigger issue is the hooks used in many of the mass produced bargain flies. I don't put a lot of stock in them as I've had a few very nice fish bend out or break the cheap hooks.

good point, most people (I know I'm that way) just think about the cheaper materials and lack of details in the fly.