Fly Fusion Forums

New Reel

fisher26

I'm looking to buy a new fly-fishing reel for a 5wt rod; I will occasionally use the reel on the bow but mostly on smaller rivers. I'm a bit cheep and all I want is a light reliable reel that has decent drag... I was originally considering the orvis battenkill barstock reel but I decided against it as it's a bit pricey ($100 +) and country pleasures is the only store that carries orvis (I have nothing against country pleasures I just I can't make it there before it closes).

What's a good reliable reel that's light for under a $100?

Thanks TM.

Does anyone know about scientific anglers reels? They seem fairly light (relatively speaking) and they advertise as being basic and durable. I wouldn’t know because I don’t own one or know anyone who does.

Would most fly shops in Calgary carry these?

I have two Tioga reels and one is now 8 years old and have never had any trouble with either of them, good solid reels. I have had some trouble with a Redington, and I got a Martin reel for Christmas a couple of years ago that's pretty shaky, plus I bought a TFO from Cabela's that they don't carry here in Calgary and when a rivet in the reel popped off the second time I used it, I was told to send it back to the US. The shipping and receiving charges plus the warranty fee were more than the price of the reel. So I used a metal screw and it works fine now. Everyone has an opinion so I guess you should try out several different manufacturers and make your own decision. Now if only that Sage rod I bought was as solid as the Tioga reel I put on it, the cork handle is starting to come loose and it's just over a year old.

Now if only that Sage rod I bought was as solid as the Tioga reel I put on it, the cork handle is starting to come loose and it's just over a year old.

What model of sage is it? I'm planning to pick up a sage launch but I wasn’t sure what sort of reel I should use. I've done quite a bit of research on the launch and most people seem to like it, the Fli on the other hand is apparently not a great rod... If anyone owns a sage launch could they post how they like it?

Thanks for all of the responses I'm thinking of a SA reel.

The SA reels are nice, but go up to the system 2 reels. The System 2L 4/5 should work good. The drags are great and they're lightweight. Used them for a while. I've owned 4 different SA reels, and the system 2 series is a great bang for your buck.

Stay away from the lower end ones. I started with the System one 5/6 and blew the drag out on 3 or 4 different spools.