Fly Fusion Forums

Sturgeon In The Bow

Was down at Janzen's Saturday and kicked up about a 3 foot partial skeleton of what looked like a Sturgeon. Can Sturgeon get passed the Bassano dam and anyone ever heard of them being up that far? Fishing was great there and below the weir yesterday. (Hint) Stonefly and Blood worm.

sometime around 2002 to 2004 I foul hooked one while fishing the bow near the highwood river confluence. It was about 20 to 25 lbs or so, massive fish compared to the normal bow river fish... but not a big sturgeon by any means. I also hooked into what "looked" like another one near carseland (a few miles below the weir) a couple years ago. If it was anything other than a sturgeon I dont wanna know what I lost becuase it was ridiculously huge. 4 feet or so long perhaps.... never did get a perfect look at it.

That is awesome, what was the fight like?

al

When I was younger I used to fish for them alot, hooked but never landed anything really big. Had one on once that was pulling a 12 foot aluminum boat. Upstream. Always wanted to fish for whites, haven't made it yet though.

Could not have gotten it even this close without the Spey rod. Close to three quarter of an hour after he nailed the bugger. Out to the backing so I could see my reel seat 3 times. Hook straightened out after the shot. He was a couple of feet longer than my Meiser.

al

Could not have gotten it even this close without the Spey rod. Close to three quarter of an hour after he nailed the bugger. Out to the backing so I could see my reel seat 3 times. Hook straightened out after the shot. He was a couple of feet longer than my Meiser.

Oh my. That would have been phenomenal. Awesome fish.

I fished for sturgeon on the Fraser a couple of times now with gear and they pull like

a Mac truck and typically you get a tail walk or 2 out of them as well. One of the

guides we used was telling me he likes to fly fish them with 12wt rods and pointed me

to some pics on his website. Insane!!

al

Fishing for sturgeon is big around Medicine Hat, and I've made a few trips my self.

Doc, that is the first sturgeon I've heard of that has ever taken a fly...and I've done some checking. You're da man :)

I was using my 4 wt. Meiser, Bob makes a phenomenal rod. Pav, I did get a heart stopping tail walk out of the fish. Had to jump start this 61 year old heart after with a wee dram o" scotch.

Wow. That would have been sweet on a 4wt spey. What a great fish.

I was using my 4 wt. Meiser, Bob makes a phenomenal rod. Pav, I did get a heart stopping tail walk out of the fish. Had to jump start this 61 year old heart after with a wee dram o" scotch.

Wow. You are officially my bow river hero. This and that massive bow a couple of years back. Truly awesome.

Haaahaa, awesome stuff SilverDoc, That would have been quite the battle and the

look on your face when it came out of the water must have been priceless!