Fly Fusion Forums

What Should I Be Tying

126barnes

Having over stayed what was intended, I'm looking at my fly boxes, thinking I'm a little short as the weather is starting to warm. Seems like I was stocked pretty good over the winter months, with SJW, leechs, blood worms, CJ, GRHE, PT, prince & EW. I don't go all out when it come to tying, just looking for a few patterns & sizes to add for the upcoming month or two. Any ideas?

As you have probably read over the last several weeks - small black stones (I use an AP nymph and turn the body around so the wings & tail look like legs) or black prince, caddis larva, and chironie/midge patterns in the 12 - 16 size depending on clarity have been producing along with many you have mentioned...

P

Having over stayed what was intended, I'm looking at my fly boxes, thinking I'm a little short as the weather is starting to warm. Seems like I was stocked pretty good over the winter months, with SJW, leechs, blood worms, CJ, GRHE, PT, prince & EW. I don't go all out when it come to tying, just looking for a few patterns & sizes to add for the upcoming month or two. Any ideas?

With the weather warming up I'd tie a few streamers to chuck on that spey rod. Leeches, clousers, and bow river buggers should be all you need. For nymphs, I'd stick with what you listed - especially PT, SJW, CJ, GRHE, and princes plus stones. Might consider some para adams if you want to have some dries ready to go.

Edit: Somehow completely forgot about caddis - sparkle pupa and evil weevils should cover it.