flyangler

Aside from practicing my casting, I think I need more of these:

Anterior, medial and posterior delt raises

Twisting crunches

Shrugs

Lat-pulls

Bent rows

Bi-s and tri-s

Maybe a little more time on the exerbike.

Any thoughts?

My regiment is

scotch pulls

Oh hum's

Another burger

Quick nap

and day dream

gets me in shape quick.

Seems overpowering is the bain of the newbie AKA me ! - my often sore shoulders attest to my lack of skill LOL

Been concentrating on the weight transfer and sourcing 90% of the power from the anchor hand (lower) instead of the upper - when the tag (anchor) is small and in the right place, it is like the planets have aligned and the cast requires almost no effort - doing this consistantly is the tough part - I am actually finding it easier on my left arm instead of right (old habits ingrained in the right I guess)

Been messing around with the snap-T cast, not only fun and cool looking but easier to pick up than the single spey.

TM - seems my compensator is meant to be used with the sinking tips only- lurking around the rio site is helping me sort out my problems with set up - I think the shorter rod forces me to avoid the cookie cutter approach to my set-up

Ironic we call this forum a "lounge" LOL - I love your philosophy Doc - my gut is like the borg - resistance is futile - can I please have a burger, for which I will gladly pay you on Tuesday - on that note I'm going for lunch !

Been concentrating on the weight transfer and sourcing 90% of the power from the anchor hand (lower) instead of the upper - when the tag (anchor) is small and in the right place, it is like the planets have aligned and the cast requires almost no effort - doing this consistantly is the tough part - I am actually finding it easier on my left arm instead of right (old habits ingrained in the right I guess)

TM - seems my compensator is meant to be used with the sinking tips only- lurking around the rio site is helping me sort out my problems with set up - I think the shorter rod forces me to avoid the cookie cutter approach to my set-up

Ironic we call this forum a "lounge" LOL - I love your philosophy Doc - my gut is like the borg - resistance is futile - can I please have a burger, for which I will gladly pay you on Tuesday - on that note I'm going for lunch !

A great source of power on the back lift is the body turn. transfer the pull off the water using you body turn instead of your arms. You can cast all day that way. Much easier on lazy old farts like me. My personnel preference is leading with the foot under the upper most hand because this feels natural for my casting style. If you feel more comfortable with the opposite foot pointing to the Angle of aim then go with it. Your grip can be really light on the rod, I sometimes even cast with two fingers on the upper grip and only my palm under the end of the lower. Keep it at waltz beat for the correct timing. In other words, Spiral -2-3, Sweep -2-3. Shall we dance?

One of the great benefits of my gut is carefully and strategically placed as a counter weight to the rod in traditional Spey style, swinging in the wind like a haggis (and I'm not even Scottish). it also supplies me with great wading traction, a place to rest my scotch and a fly tying bench.

I'm wish I was fishin.

OMG you guys are killing me. I obviously need to throw more laughing into my fitness program to avoid these side aches!

To make you proud: I signed up for some time with a trainer yesterday, practiced my casting in the park, and then toasted the day with my favorite fishing buddy and some scotch. We dined on grilled pork over field greens, walnuts and dried cherries with a raspberry chipotle balsamic dressing.

Also, to quell my nervous energy over the new program, I bought a couple of new outfits to lift in (with pant legs and sleeves long enough to keep my skin away from the gym's opportunistic fungi) and a pair of shoes. Today, I feel calm and rested. Looking forward to pumping iron in the rattiest gym I've seen in 22 years.

I haven't settled on a line yet. I was practicing with an ordinary 8wt line.

Todays workout consisted of balance ball, bosu and elastic bands. No iron. My butt was still kicked! Then, just to keep from stiffening up, dh took me fishing. Purely medicinal, you understand.