Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson 1134 Trout Spey

lethfisher

Hey Guys, has anyone cast the new Amundson Trout Spey 11' 3-4wt yet? I cast the 10' 6wt still water and was pretty pumped on it at the expo this year. Pretty sweet rod, it was lined funny at the time but once you could feel the rod loading properly woweee. If the 3/4 is like that rod then I think it would be pretty sweet for nymphing and streamers on the Bow. Anyone know if the rod is spey rated? I'm pretty sure the spey 1106 is rated like a single handed 6wt right? I know there is at least one Amundson Pro Staff on here, they should know! :)

Also in the 2010 catalog online there are waders in there but can't find them on the website with a price, anyone know?

Does Fish Tales carry Amundson blanks? Am thinking of building either a 10' 6wt or maybe the 1134 if its good.

One more thing, maybe the Amundson Pro Staff can send the message, but on the website under the Wind-Warrior Spey section the new trout spey is listed in that table near the bottom as a WWS4-1106F while it should be WWS4-1134M. It is listed correctly below so I think it is a spelling error... link

Thanks!!

Hey Guys, has anyone cast the new Amundson Trout Spey 11' 3-4wt yet? I cast the 10' 6wt still water and was pretty pumped on it at the expo this year. Pretty sweet rod, it was lined funny at the time but once you could feel the rod loading properly woweee. If the 3/4 is like that rod then I think it would be pretty sweet for nymphing and streamers on the Bow. Anyone know if the rod is spey rated? I'm pretty sure the spey 1106 is rated like a single handed 6wt right? I know there is at least one Amundson Pro Staff on here, they should know! :)

Also in the 2010 catalog online there are waders in there but can't find them on the website with a price, anyone know?

Does Fish Tales carry Amundson blanks? Am thinking of building either a 10' 6wt or maybe the 1134 if its good.

One more thing, maybe the Amundson Pro Staff can send the message, but on the website under the Wind-Warrior Spey section the new trout spey is listed in that table near the bottom as a WWS4-1106F while it should be WWS4-1134M. It is listed correctly below so I think it is a spelling error... link

Thanks!!

I've messed around with a few lines on the 1134, and picked the brain of lot of the guys in BC who are using it a lot, and if you're looking to use it for spey casting, a 270 or 300 grain scandi head seems to be the best match. I have both the lines set up for my rod with rio slick shooter as the running line.

Fishtales should have the 'trout spey', and the 10' 6wt, but I'm not sure if they have the blanks and components. There are a couple people who have documented their build of the 1134 on the FlyBC board. Check that out if you're interested.

Haven't heard of the waders being sold yet in Canada, but some of the other stuff like the gear bags and belly bags and really nice and a very good price.

The 1134 is a sweet little rod, and should fit nice for the Bow.

I cast the 10' 6wt still water and was pretty pumped on it at the expo this year. Pretty sweet rod, it was lined funny at the time but once you could feel the rod loading properly woweee.

I tryed out the 5wt stillwater, very impressed, I will be buying one very soon.

The 1134 is a 3/4wt spey rating, also works well on a WF7F for overhead single-hand. As bloom said, 270-300 compact is best two-handed line.

The 1134 is nothing like the 1006. The 1006 is a fast action rod designed to power cast in to winds and to roll cast a stillwater chironomid setup(strike indicator, 20' leader, swivel, tippet and bug) 70' out. And it will. They will handle up to 12-14 lb trout in stillwater. The 1134 is an entirely different, moderate, deep loading rod(as a spey should be) and will handle up to 5-6 lb fish in streams or small rivers. Yes, one could use an 1134 as a single-hand, but that butt handle would get real boring rubbing away at your elbow after a while.

Right at the moment the blanks are sold out. More coming, but there are a few rods left in stock in the warehouse. The dealers most likely to order rods for stock right away are Fish Tales in Calgary or Flys Etc in High River. Alberta Rose Anglers can as soon as they open in April, I think.

Appreciate spotting the error on the website. I emailed technoweenie to get it fixed.

j

Sounds like a pretty fun rod and good price to :) Thanks for all the info on the rod guys! Now what if you built a 10' 6wt wind warrior with a lower end grip... probably would make more sense to just get the 1106 then, a foot isn't going to make a whole lot of difference on the Bow...

The 1106 is not a real "switch rod" in my estimation. The lower grip is not detachable and the action is not a compromise of single and two-hand. It is purely a light spey rod, period.

In future production runs of the 1134, the lower grip may become detachable. Trouble is that adds weight, and it's such sweet rod at only 6 oz. now.

j

• 7 months later...
such an old post. I recently got this rod, still looking for a line with it.

Tried airflo scandi 270, 300, 330 grams. 270 is too light. 300 or 330 seems ok.

has anyone tried different line on this rod?

feedback is very appreciated. :P

Elixer 295 grain is all I say.

Hi DutchDryfly and CDone.

Do you know where I can test the Elixir or Tonic lines? (Calgary)

Thanks

South Bow carries them not sure what they have in stock, I have a 320 tonic you can test drive if you want, send me a PM.

Colin