Fly Fusion Forums

Nw Winter Time

jriad

Hey guys. I relaize the south is more favorable in the winter due to the treatment plant but has anyone have success in the winter up here? Ive tried the rail bridge by bowness & the deep run in bowmont just north of the 16th ave bridge with no luck. I am a spincaster but if there is fish to be had I shouldnt be struggling this much. Any advice?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

too cold for gear, it takes a lot of energy to run it down so chuck it in the river and grab a fly rod lol.

i have been using small nymphs and SJWs

hope it helps

too cold for gear, it takes a lot of energy to run it down so chuck it in the river and grab a fly rod lol.

i have been using small nymphs and SJWs

hope it helps

Honestly, if you can learn drift fishing tactics with the nymps of the Bow R, a spin fisher should be able to outfish ff types 2:1. If I was a spin fisher, I would attend all the seminars at the local fly shops that deal with nymphing, read all the posts here about nymphing, and do google searches. Then, I'd google all about drift fishing with slip bobbers and pencil leads, adjust the sizes to the Bow, and then learn about reading water and the seasonal migrations of trout. If you were to do this and really zoned in on it all, I guarantee that you'd outfish pretty much any fly fisher 1/2 the year anyway. I've run into a few drift types that can work a run with 40 to 80m dead drifts, something that ff simply can't do. If I had to catch trout to survive, I know exactly what method I'd use.

I hope that helps.

Happy searching for answers.

:)

I agree with Dave. I am actually afraid to pick up my spin or light baitcasting gear and fish the Bow. Because I'm convinced that if I fished nymphs and streamers I would significantly increase my catch rate. And for basically the reason Dave stated above--you can effectively cover so much more water per cast. And anyone who doesn't think it would be fun to fight a 20+" fish on a ultralight spinning rod with 4 lb test is crazy.

If you look around, there are good books and articles about nymph fishing with spin gear.

I agree with Dave. I am actually afraid to pick up my spin or light baitcasting gear and fish the Bow. Because I'm convinced that if I fished nymphs and streamers I would significantly increase my catch rate. And for basically the reason Dave stated above--you can effectively cover so much more water per cast. And anyone who doesn't think it would be fun to fight a 20+" fish on a ultralight spinning rod with 4 lb test is crazy.

If you look around, there are good books and articles about nymph fishing with spin gear.

Thanks guys. What about bowriverblog's succes though?

"Thanks guys. What about bowriverblog's succes though?"

If you look at his success rates, they aren't all that over the top. In his "doctor ordered" post, he only caught 4 trout in the day fishing. To analyze his success, he worked a spoon through those rocks in the middle of the river. What if he had drift nymphs into that location (by casting the bobber and flies upstream of the holding water 10 feet) instead of throwing metal on top of their heads? Ask any fly fisher out there that has fished the Bow, if you move a trout or two from mid winter holding water, there are likely 10 to 50 trout in there (depending on size of holding water). He caught two right away and then nothing. If he'd have drift fished it without landing gear on the fish's heads, he could likely have caught a couple - few more out of there. Again, spoons and streamers are quite similar, the fish charge but if they don't take, good luck on successive casts (in winter, typically - different in summer).

That's why I'd ignore the rapalla crowd and learn to drift nymphs. Sure, the fish will be on to flashy stuff 1/3 of the time or if you constantly move to new water, but if you want the most likely results from the most concentrated water, drift/nymph.

Google it. Lots of stuff applicable from w coast stuff.

"Thanks guys. What about bowriverblog's succes though?"

If you look at his success rates, they aren't all that over the top. In his "doctor ordered" post, he only caught 4 trout in the day fishing. To analyze his success, he worked a spoon through those rocks in the middle of the river. What if he had drift nymphs into that location (by casting the bobber and flies upstream of the holding water 10 feet) instead of throwing metal on top of their heads? Ask any fly fisher out there that has fished the Bow, if you move a trout or two from mid winter holding water, there are likely 10 to 50 trout in there (depending on size of holding water). He caught two right away and then nothing. If he'd have drift fished it without landing gear on the fish's heads, he could likely have caught a couple - few more out of there. Again, spoons and streamers are quite similar, the fish charge but if they don't take, good luck on successive casts (in winter, typically - different in summer).

That's why I'd ignore the rapalla crowd and learn to drift nymphs. Sure, the fish will be on to flashy stuff 1/3 of the time or if you constantly move to new water, but if you want the most likely results from the most concentrated water, drift/nymph.

Google it. Lots of stuff applicable from w coast stuff.

Thanks for all the info man. I'd like to be as diverse of an angler as possible combing raps, spinners, and this drifting you are talking about. What do you mean by your winter ocmment typically, diff in summer? You saying raps will do better in the summer than they will in the winter? Also whats the size difference on the fish caught with nymphs and raps (if any) in your experience? As I am for quality of quantity.

As for Bowriverblogs day, he hit 7 not 4. Maybe I am not seeing the picture but that seems like a good day via raps to me. Maybe you are implying via a drift you should slam the hole dry since trout school up hard in the winter?

Also, can anyone recommend any books that discuss trout holding waters at different times & seasons? I am still learning on how to read the water.

Fish will for sure chow harder on bait fish imitations like spoons or streamers in the summer time. They just don't have to expend as much energy in the warmer water to catch their dins. However, I find that most of my success with streamer patterns in the winter just depends on how slow you can get the drift and the retrieve. In my mind, the slower the better!

Size differentiation between streamer flies and lures is probably the same(never fished spinning gear). Bigger the lure, bigger the fish, but maybe less fish. Smaller lure, smaller the fish, but more of em. Biggest fish i've caught on the bow with the smallest fly in my box. Its all about what they are chowin on that specific day. Maybe it will be 10 minnows or 150 midge's.

There was a dope article written by Rickr on the main page about nymphing and water structure, all these articles are good stuff: http://flyfishcalgary.com/articles.php

I've had limited success up from the 68th street bridge swinging streamers... I have caught fish, but had to work WAY too hard to catch them!! I've given up and head south now!! And now I catch lots of fish!!

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but you asked!!

P

Anyways.....

Getting back to it has anyone has continued success in the NW during winter? Beaumont run? or below 16th ave bridge?

Hi jriad,

I fish the Nw all summer, haven't fished it in the winter yet, but hoping to in the next few weeks. I used to spin fish alot in the Nw when I was younger(in the places you mention and others). I did ok, but the fishing in the Nw section is alot different with fewer fish and smaller fish. I catch more fish, flyfishing in the Nw than I did on hardware but that may just be me. I seem to be catching larger fish too.

I have pretty good success in the summer so I am hoping I will be able to do ok in the winter up here in the Nw.

I went down south last fall in Oct and Nov and.....wow, it was amazing. Alot of fish, larger fish and ...more fish! I found fish in types of holding water down south that would hold nothing up north, water that I would wade in up here. I caught 3 18" fish down south without moving my feet, up in the Nw, I would catch one and usually have to move on to the next hole or run to find more. The problem with the south for me is the long drive across town especially in rush hour, so I devote alot of time to the Nw Bow. I have just decided to start fishing a bit in the winter, down south and here.

Anyway, getting off topic. I would recommend trying any of the runs/pools you have been and maybe check out some of the runs/pools up by Bearspaw dam. Not sure if the water is warmer after coming through the dam (sure steams in the winter), so maybe that would help. I think slighty smaller lures with a slower retrieve might help too. Also it doesn't hurt to move around a bit, I usually seem to cover alot more ground in the Nw vs when I fish down south. The nymphing suggestions above are great advice, may even get you flyfishing too...

I will post my results if I manage to get out and giver a go.

Good luck