Fly Fusion Forums

Whip Finishers

Flytyer

No info for you, just curious as to what the specific application would be...

extra long hooks, tying off at the back of such hooks.......required for some of the full dress salmon flies I tie, some are as large 8/0 irons

There are extended body whip finishers, seem to be about twice the length of a reg sized one, althou I have never used one, also not sure if this will give you the length required for an 8/0....................might be worth a looksee at a local fly shop.

Check out No. 1, 3 & 5

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/knot-tiers.htm

sorry no help with the home made version.

It's tough to find good wide finishers and I also don't care for hand whipping, not as precise, for me anyway although I whipped by hand for 15 years. This is a home made jobie. Use it a lot for mid bodies on Steelhead and Salmon flies. My oldest steals it too much though. You could use this as a guide to make one. I'll shape the next one slightly differently although this one does work well. Been meaning to ask one of the local bamboo rod makers to send me some scraps to make a full set. Wire is from the hobby shop. It is six inches from hook to holder.

widefinisher.jpg

Guest Dennis59

I use the Petijean whip finisher and it gives a lot of latitude in your finishing loop but not sure on using on an 8/0 hook. If I can I will take a picture and post it. Maybe a randision off that would work.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

It's tough to find good wide finishers and I also don't care for hand whipping, not as precise, for me anyway although I whipped by hand for 15 years. This is a home made jobie. Use it a lot for mid bodies on Steelhead and Salmon flies. My oldest steals it too much though. You could use this as a guide to make one. I'll shape the next one slightly differently although this one does work well. Been meaning to ask one of the local bamboo rod makers to send me some scraps to make a full set. Wire is from the hobby shop. It is six inches from hook to holder.

widefinisher.jpg

Looks good Doc. What name does the wire go by? Have you noticed if the frame flexes while in use? Looks like the wire is not overly large in the photo. I've made some hardwood handles that I want to use when making some new tools.

It's model airplane push rod from PM hobby in Calgary on 32nd, comes in a few different diameters. Flexes a bit but not a lot. Want to make another one slightly different that I have an idea about "the boy" has claimed this one.

Looks good Doc. What name does the wire go by? Have you noticed if the frame flexes while in use? Looks like the wire is not overly large in the photo. I've made some hardwood handles that I want to use when making some new tools.

It's model airplane push rod from PM hobby in Calgary on 32nd, comes in a few different diameters. Flexes a bit but not a lot. Want to make another one slightly different that I have an idea about "the boy" has claimed this one.

We should get together and make a few

Sounds like a plan in the coming weeks

The only whip finishers I have are made out of coat-hanger wire....won't surprise some who know what a cheap-skate I am!

It means you can customize them to your needs though...seem to work for me.

I'll post a piccy sometime (ugly but effective!)

A long time ago a gentleman who encouraged me to dive into the world of fly fishing/fly tying made me one of his special whip finishers..actually two but one recently broke, however, here is a pic of it.. muea8j.jpg it is made in a silver pen ..

..since I needed a long one , to use when making certain flies, I scanned around, and came up with almost the same design as my teacher...'The Griffin'.. 29d8t5j.jpg ..came the closest.

I picked up some push rod the same dia. of the finishers that I do have and am going to design a longer reach as well as a higher reach version.....I think bike spokes could work as well