Fly Fusion Forums

Cheapo Tubes

lethfisher

Air-Brake tubing from any auto parts store, I bought 10' for $7.00, thats about 50 tubes give or take depending on size. Another option I use is brass and aluminum tubing from your local hobby shop, I bought a small tubing cutter and flaring tool to make the tubes.

Colin

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

break flare tool. Its fold the end of the tube in on its self and flares it out. Used on break lines into the master cylinder and other connections

Those tubes looks great

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

hold on SilverDoc, are you saying that the company that makes my truck airlines doesnt have fly fishremen in mind when they make their product? lol

All jokes aside it is air line from Princes Auto that we use.

hold on SilverDoc, are you saying that the company that makes my truck airlines doesnt have fly fishremen in mind when they make their product? lol

All jokes aside it is air line from Princes Auto that we use.

Actually that does work great but the metal components are better from tube companies.

I'm a little hazardous on going for a Qtip as a plastic tube, due to the fact that they will shatter if you freeze them and then throw a snap-t

You must have one hell of a snap t... I've fished them a handful of times and never ran into any problems. But I can definetly agree with the doc, proper tubes would be best

A guy at a fly shop in Halifax today told me that he uses plastic Qtips for all his unweighted tube flies (your not allowed to fish for Salmon in NS with a weighted fly). Just cut to length and flare the ends in the blue part of a lighter flame. He also said that straight eyed Mustad #8s work great with Qtip tubes without a need for a hook keeper tube.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Jay, im with you. I fish a TON in winter and if their is a chance of the tube shattering it will happen in this season. I also dont want to see 3 cone heads, a underbody weight and 45minuites+ of my time sink to the bottom with out a fight.

I am also having a problem with Eumer cone heads not fitting right on the tubes i have (got from fly fish show last year). These buggers are hard to slide down because they are a bit undersized (imo)

A handful isn't a lot, but enough to have confidence that my fly isn't going to explode due to a quick change of direction in the cast

Tie em the way ya tie em, but i have a hard time believing that a q-tip would shatter.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

just give one a bite next time your in the bathroom and see how it fractures and tears, but the fly shop/airline creases but does not rip open at the fold. They are def different plastics

Jay, im with you. I fish a TON in winter and if their is a chance of the tube shattering it will happen in this season. I also dont want to see 3 cone heads, a underbody weight and 45minuites+ of my time sink to the bottom with out a fight.

I am also having a problem with Eumer cone heads not fitting right on the tubes i have (got from fly fish show last year). These buggers are hard to slide down because they are a bit undersized (imo)

they fit snug but dont jiggle aroud.. are u making sure the end of the tube isnt flared out before sliding it on?