Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Z Axis Questions

wayne

I am thinking of picking up a couple of z axis's either 3/5, 3/6 or 4/6 I mainly fish the crow, oldman, and smaller streams in the gap I also want to be able to throw some big bully streamers as well. I also like to fish lakes. Based on this which rod combination would make the most sense. How well would the 3wt work with bigger dries in the wind? or is there anything else I should be looking at.

I currently have

3wt tfo signature series 7'6"

4wt tfo ticr 9'

5wt tipflex orvis t3 9'

6wt tfo ticrx 9'

I am thinking of selling these and just replacing them with 2 high end rods

Thanks Wayne

I with Tungsten on this one the 390 Z Axis has an amazing amount of power. I love the 390 I used it some this last season and it is a treat to cast, even better with a large cutty or a juvenille bully.

If you went to the 390 you could still get a 690 don't think they are to far apart

Have you cast a Z-Axis yet? Don't know about your other rods, but the Z is way different from your TFO Ti's.

I haven't cast the z axis. I live in Lethbridge and wholesale sports will not let you take the rods out of the store to cast.

I am mainly leaning towards this rod due to the amount of people that rave about it and I haven't heard anyone who dislikes this rod, being a fast action rod it should be a good fit with my casting style as all my other rods are moderate to fast action

Wayne

Ah, that sucks that you can't take it out and cast it first. I've bought rods in the past based on tons of good reviews that didn't fit my casting style. That being said I do have the 590 Z lined with an SA GPX and it casts beautifully. Everything I've heard about the 390 Z is that it's a great rod. If I were looking for a 3 wt I wouldn't think twice about getting that one based on my experience with the 5 wt.

The ZXL isn't that slow of a rod really, it's slower than the Z but still very solid. Last year, I was shopping for a three weight mainly as a dry rod and was torn between the ZXL 386 and the Z390. I ended up going with the ZXL as I though it would be a little more delicate and, as well, in part to the reviews it has gotten, it was designed to replace a very popular dry fly rod. Anyways, I'm very happy with it. Lots of guys fish nymphs with it as well, so I've read. I'm sure the Z is kick ass as a more all around rod or as a drift boat nymph/dry rod. If you like to fish lakes, maybe a longer 3 might be the ticket, would also double as a great rod for short line nymphing.

You mentioned the Z690, I had this rod actually but sold it to my dad. I fished it on the Bow for two years and it's an incredibly versatile rod, it fishes everything from tiny dries, to triple nymph rigs to all but the biggest of trout streamers (it wasn't that good with weighted streamers such as clousers). I don't think you can go wrong with either a 4,5 or 6 9' Z as as all around trout rod. Pick which one is best for you based on the fish and weather in your area. From what you described, I'm going to say 3 and 6. However, the big streamers may be a prob with the 6 as mine wasn't that good for that kinda thing but it may have just been me. From my experience, big streamers, and or sinking leaders, require a seven or higher to be fun. Maybe the 690 with a proper streamer line would be the ticket for tossing big uglies. I'd be curious to know myself.

I have a 590 Z, my go to Bow river rod it roll casts a nymph rig very easily.I can also cast a heavily weighted double streamer rig with it no problem.

If your fishing the Crow and smaller 6wt Z is too much.

I'm curious to know what line you fishing streamers with on the Z590. I had the 690 and found that it buckled like crazy with a clouser on or didn't have the guts to punch a big bugger into the wind. Was probably my crap skills; my SH streamer casting is ugly.

Ah, that sucks that you can't take it out and cast it first. I've bought rods in the past based on tons of good reviews that didn't fit my casting style. That being said I do have the 590 Z lined with an SA GPX and it casts beautifully.

Agreed.... I loved my XP 590 with the GPX line, but my ZAxis 590 with the GPX has been m go to rod for the past 2 years! I use it everywhere... bow...the gap.. small cut streams...lakes!

I'd keep your current string of rods and skip the sage, although I am sure many of these experts on here will tell you the reason to blow $800 on a rod.. It is all percieved value on anything above the price of a TFO.

Edit: I casted a Orvis hydros and no doubt that this is the best rod for the dough, for my cast anyways. Save a few hundy from the sage and go hydros.

Wayne,

I'm in Lethbridge with a Sage Z-Axis 690 (custom built).

I love the rod and use it on all sizes of creeks. Send me a message and I can rig it up for some test casting if you'd like. I have a Ultimate trout Sharkskin and a RIO built Lumiline (practice casting line).

Let me know.

Cheers,

I'd keep your current string of rods and skip the sage, although I am sure many of these experts on here will tell you the reason to blow $800 on a rod.. It is all percieved value on anything above the price of a TFO.

Edit: I casted a Orvis hydros and no doubt that this is the best rod for the dough, for my cast anyways. Save a few hundy from the sage and go hydros.

This is your humble opinion right???

The thing is you must cast the rod if you are gonna the spend big bucks. Others may not see the value in blowing the coin but hey, fly fishing is not about practicality is it. After all a lada or pinto will usually get you from point 'a' to point 'b' but a Bentley will do it in style.

I just got the 5 wt z-axis and have only had the chance to false cast so far. I've strung it up with a rio grand and WOW. The thing throws line like crazy... and it loads at close distances quite well to boot.

It is true you don't need to spend piles o dough on a rod, but with trout fishing I believe the money is better spent on the rod and go cheap on the reel.

If you are serious about fly fishing I don't see the harm in spoiling yourself a little.

P.S. Quality gear also holds it's value better than the cheap stuff if properly cared for.

This is your humble opinion right???

The thing is you must cast the rod if you are gonna the spend big bucks. Others may not see the value in blowing the coin but hey, fly fishing is not about practicality is it. After all a lada or pinto will usually get you from point 'a' to point 'b' but a Bentley will do it in style.

I just got the 5 wt z-axis and have only had the chance to false cast so far. I've strung it up with a rio grand and WOW. The thing throws line like crazy... and it loads at close distances quite well to boot.

It is true you don't need to spend piles o dough on a rod, but with trout fishing I believe the money is better spent on the rod and go cheap on the reel.

If you are serious about fly fishing I don't see the harm in spoiling yourself a little.

P.S. Quality gear also holds it's value better than the cheap stuff if properly cared for.

Hats off to the marketing division at Sage. The above post is a testiment to their success.

Hats off to the marketing division at Sage. The above post is a testiment to their success.

“Yes! Thousands of anglers are “fooled” by the crafty marketing strategies of Sage! Their success for the past 30 years can only be contributed to full page spreads and over-priced sticks. Mike Lawson and George Anderson you should be ashamed of yourselves for producing such poor performing products.” :(

I think our fly fishing peers strongly disagree.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...l=Sage+fly+rods

Mr. Canadensis , I get that we all have our favorite. There is nothing wrong with pitching your preference, but trying to strengthen your opinion by discrediting other brands, (Especially Sage) makes you sound like the fool.