Fly Fusion Forums

My First Attempt At A Bugger

Lundvike

Lundvike:

Looks pretty decent to me--I'm not really a bugger user..just a bugger. :)

You can pack the spun deer hair tighter and add two clumps of hair. After spinning the first clump pack it with your fingers and the head of a Bic ball point pen--remove the ink cart first. Push the tapered open end over the eye and pack the hair. Then add another clump and do the same...this packs the hair quite tightly.

See step #5 here. This just shows fingers. But the open end of a Bic pen works well.

Pack hair

My decent tying stuff is at the trailer...fast and dirty..you'll get the idea. Push the pen end over the eye and pack the hair...you will have to backstop the hair with your fingers. (I suppose another brand of pen would work. :) )

post-229-1186968449.jpg

Cheers!

Clive

So I have read that some people start tying flys with these but this my first attempt. Anyone seeing any way to improve the head portion? Should I use more hair or something other than deer hair? Any criticism would be welcome.

1097893920_be66ec3829.jpg

Good tie, Just a suggestion, what you have to watch is the hackle around the hook. Look for hackle that is only as wide as the gap of the hook. Otherwise you get miss strikes when the large amount of hackle cloges the hook point. You can clip some of it away to free up the point.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you. Dryfly I followed the directions on that link and it is working better now. gonna need strong thread I think because I broke the thread once pulling it tight to get the hair to stand up. Also the tip of the bic pen was too narrow so I used the other end. SilverDoctor good point on the hackle covering the hook point, I have been trimming mine as I only have the one kind and its too long. Gonna need more material very soon.

Looks pretty good. Use a 6/0 or 3/0 thread to spin the hair. Thinner thread will just slice through and break before you have ample tension. The tail looks a bit out of proportion. I would shorten it a touch. here is a tutorial I did last year on tying a standard Crystal BH Bugger. Perhaps it will help with your tying.

http://www.flyangler.ca/index.php?option=c...8&Itemid=32

Looks pretty good. Use a 6/0 or 3/0 thread to spin the hair. Thinner thread will just slice through and break before you have ample tension. The tail looks a bit out of proportion. I would shorten it a touch. here is a tutorial I did last year on tying a standard Crystal BH Bugger. Perhaps it will help with your tying.

http://www.flyangler.ca/index.php?option=c...8&Itemid=32

Thanks the step by step is great and yes the tail is too long probably because I tied the marabou in towards the rear. I had a question about your tie, did you tie your hackle down or are you using the wire to hold it in place? Probably confirming my newb status with that question.

I use the wire to secure the hackle down. You wind the wire in the opposite direction from the hackle and it is bound at many points. It gives it more durability, and if the hackle does break, it is still very fishable. :) Keep at it, and keep posting your flies. you will be surprized how much you improve over time. :)

It is lead wrapped and the hackle is fairly soft every time I grap the thing I stab myself. I got some new Hackle last night so I will try that. You can't tell from the picture but I used red wire trying to get a little flash of blood into the fly. Now if I just could manage to try streamer fishing occasionly.