Fly Fusion Forums

Report A Poacher

Hi Guys,

I came across some questionable moose remains this past week I think should be reported regardless of how they got there. The remains were found on the road south of SR567, one side road

east of the north end of Bearspaw Road.

It appears they were just dumped for the coyotes to clean up, there have been two female twin moose living in this area for the last few years it appears this is one of them. So if you guys can point me in the right direction as to where or who I can send the pictures to that'd be great.

Thanks.

P1010216.jpg

P1010217.jpg

P1010219.jpg

Hey ham,

If you think there is anything suspicious about this, by all means, give REPORT-A-POACHER a call at 1-800-642-3800 and also give the Calgary office of the Alberta Fish & Wildlife Division a call at 403-297-6423. It's possible that there's some sleazy poachers in the area.

If you go back to take a closer look check to see if the bones have been cut with a saw or something.

Cheers.

Guest Sundancefisher

Welcome to an episode of CSI AOF...

In the first part of this episode we examine the facts.

1. Remains of moose were found in snow

2. Coyotes have fed on the carcass

3. The moose's head is detatched and lying near by...

4. Photos of the scene as shown above

Questions needing answering:

1. Are the eyes still in the moose? If they are it indicates a really fresh drop. If they are desicated it would indicate it was dead for a while and may suggest a carcass disposal after processing off site. Magpies and crows target the eyes immediately. The fact the head is not knawed on suggests a recent carcass drop. I doubt anyone would mount a head with no antlers. Therefore they would dump it with the bones after butchering.

2. Are all the legs present? If it was hunted...I agree that your average poacher would probably take the easy meat and the best meat and waste a fair bit. If beside a road...tossing the legs in the truck would of made more sense than taking a whole poached moose. Speed is off the essence for illegal activity.

3. Any knife marks on the bones? A hasty butchering would of been messy and quick. Looks like the legs were butchered at the right spot to remove the main muscles.

4. Blood. If killed there and butchered at that location, there would of been lot and lots of blood. I have seen moose kills by wolves...and the whole area is covered in fur and blood. Coyotes would not be cleaner unless it was an old dead moose exposed to surface after a big melt. That head does not look old and there is some meat left to suggest the chickadees, magpies and mice have not done their jobs yet.

5. Skin. If killed in place and they left the legs...where is the skin? A quickly butchered poached moose beside the road would of been cut quickly. The skin would of been left behind. If this was a carcass drop off after a legal hunt...then they would of either left the skin and entrails at the actual kill site or retained the skin for other uses.

Final half of the show...

After looking at the evidence...my opinion in the absense of further information is...

A carcass drop off of a legally hunted moose after butchering.

Cheers

Sun