Fly Fusion Forums

Weirdest Thing You Have Seen On The Road...

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I have seen houses and big pieces of equipment...but today for the first time I saw a helicopter on the back of a truck... Kinda cool.

What other things have people seen being transported over the years...on the weird or cool or wacky side!

drive the highway too hell up too ft .mac dude.. had too pull over for halfdozen cop cars leading the way lastyear for a mega load being brought up .. was the biggest object trucked into that area on record i guess.. was all over the radio.. had 4 semis hooked up together on front and 4 hooked up on back in a box formation with a couple hundred foot load, not sure how many trailers of a spaceship/refinery looking thing.. was unreal.. took up 2 lanes!!! crazy co-ordination too them truckers all on radios too make sure tehy didnt break the braces bolting all the trucks together!!

A couple of years back I saw this in BC

Boatonroad.jpg

Dude was sitting in the ditch with his hands on his head OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm...? there must have been a flood and then dried up? how else could the boat have gotten there.

I worked as a boilermaker a couple years back and regarding the last post about the giant convoy thing heading up to ft mac. We build giant boilers for the tar sands and they could only be shipped on saturday, as they had to take down the powerlines just to get the thing out of calgary (imagine the cost in that alone) on a special machine that had 150 axels dispersing the load. It was basically a giant insulated cylinder about 40 feet in diameter and about 100 feet long. It was a big dirty boiler and the guys usualy came in on saturdays to watch them ship out as it was such an amazing feat.

Guest Sundancefisher
A couple of years back I saw this in BC

Boatonroad.jpg

Dude was sitting in the ditch with his hands on his head OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a boat like that lift off a trailer on hwy 2 and shatter into a zillion pieces. Unbelievable. That boat looks salvagable...maybe.

Ooooohhhhh where do I even begin??? :)

I've seen sign's saying watch out for horse and buggies (all over southern missouri).. saw a girl pop up out of a sun roof and bear all like a professional dancer.. lol... umm... saw a rabbit fly across the road being chased by a coyote... which I hit!!!.. (bet the rabbit was thankfull).. so many I cant think of it all.

Grain elevators in the 60s

The town I lived in bought two after theirs burned down. Quite a sight seeing these things on the road. They could only use the highway for short lengths due to overpasses. Took 2 Kenworths to pull them(one at a time, of course) - 10 mph. They said they weighed 300 tons each. School, business, everything stopped so people could see these things coming into town. Withing 10 years they were torn down - lack of business. Hindsight.

Geez - Given my years on the hwys up here I've seen quite a list of wierd things - everything from finding 2 bales of $50 and $100 bills in the trunk of an 1985 rusty celica at a fatal wreck, to watching a small plane land on the highway while on a morning patrol.

Probably the wierdest thing I have seen was finding a tourist at a bear roadkill site taking a picture of another tourist lying on the road with his head inside the bears mouth. That was quite weird. either that, or this guy I found at a gravel pit doing something very unatural with a tree,...well,... google dendriphiliac and you'll see what I saw.

Guest Sundancefisher
Geez - Given my years on the hwys up here I've seen quite a list of wierd things - everything from finding 2 bales of $50 and $100 bills in the trunk of an 1985 rusty celica at a fatal wreck, to watching a small plane land on the highway while on a morning patrol.

Probably the wierdest thing I have seen was finding a tourist at a bear roadkill site taking a picture of another tourist lying on the road with his head inside the bears mouth. That was quite weird. either that, or this guy I found at a gravel pit doing something very unatural with a tree,...well,... google dendriphiliac and you'll see what I saw.

Are you with RCMP?

I was asked the question about passing a police car on the road and I believe the law is 50 km/h in the adjacent lane...regular speed in the far lane. If the police car is pulled over in the right shoulder on a hwy with two lanes each way this applies. If the police car is slightly in the right lane...not all the way over into the shoulder then both lanes are the reduced speed.

Is that correct?

I think y'all mean dendrophiliac... I wonder if that's where the term "gettin' wood" comes from?

Had a buddy of mine in Eganville Ontario, hit a deer and before I could find a spot to turn around and see where he went, He had it strung up from a tree and was bleeding it. dude was prepared. block and tackle and skinning knife behind the seat.

Hey Sundance

Not RCMP, I work for a living ha ha ha - just came off a 2-1/2 year assignment as an Operations Supervisor (basically roads foreman) with Highways in Parks Canada, been in the department for 11 years and during that time also worked for LL Fire and Rescue so lots of time on the road.

Guest tallieho

A number of years ago i was streamer fishing on the bow,downstream swing.When a baby bottle floats by me.I turn around & see this idiot with a baby on a overturned hard top from a tent trailer floating the bow.Looked at my buddy & we both were in shock.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i was up at Rawson last year and looked at this guy for a good 10min trying to figure out why he hiked a metal detector up there! I did not see him use it at all and when i asked him why he draged it up there he simply replied "why not!" and with a smile and a nod he was off back down the trail......

A few year ago I was driving north of Camrose about 10.30 in the morning in the middle of no where when I saw sonmething move in the ditch , took a double take as it was a big male "OSTRICH".. It ran along the road for a 100 feet ,stopped looked at me and did kind of a beep , beep and headed out into a field.

There were no farms around for at least 5 km.. and no I had not been drinking.

Shawn, that's hilarious!! It would have definitley been a wierd "double take" for sure!!

P

A few year ago I was driving north of Camrose about 10.30 in the morning in the middle of no where when I saw sonmething move in the ditch , took a double take as it was a big male "OSTRICH".. It ran along the road for a 100 feet ,stopped looked at me and did kind of a beep , beep and headed out into a field.

There were no farms around for at least 5 km.. and no I had not been drinking.