Fly Fusion Forums

Tying With A Purpose

Bezz

I have been tying for a couple weeks now and I have pretty much been jumping all over the place. I am starting to think about having a plan t make sure I have a well stocked set of fly boxes come Spring.

What is everyone's approach to tying for the upcoming year?

What would be your dream set of fly boxes for the bow including size?

I know those are both loaded questions but I am looking for help with direction.

its all in what you like dude.. all i do is production tie.. started the year off with 200 chenille worms n 200 leeches, then too 300 midge pupae n larvae, onto caddis larvae n pupae 200 of each, 100 stone nymph, 550 copperjohns in a few sizes n colors, 150 princes, 75 boatman... and a few other things.. then did close too 1000 dries for the bow n cutties.. whenever i get burnt out i tie random stuff for a night or two.. then back too work... hardest part its staying focues.. it does get hella redundant.. but if u only take out those materials n hooks n foce it u can have 50-100 flies a night done in no time... i recommend too any of my budies too force yourself too start with a pack of 50 hooks n 50 beeds n just make that one fly or maybe 25 of each 2 different colors.. so on n so forth.... u get really good at doing flies quick when u jsut did (25 copperjohns 12 in black n 25 in copper, then do em in 14, then 16 and progressivly work down too get good at te small stuff) i fish around 15 different nymphs and 25 different dries but my n my clients use lots of them... do a search u will find out that the "top 10" nymphs dries streamers etc has bin covered a few times...

When I finally get going, I start with what I need first. That usually means worms and small midge patterns for the Crow in winter, then my lake flies for the spring (which usually includes dozens of chironomids and leeches), and then move onto the summer flies for the cutty streams (like humpys and stoneflies and Klinkhammer style patterns). I usually don't get to the summer patterns now until summer though...I remember the days where I would just tie and actually run out of things to tie...now it's much more fishing and less tying...many times I'm tying the night before a long trip. I like the new trend :)

I'm totally ADD about tying flies. After I tie a few of a certain pattern I get bored and have to tie something else instead. Usually that means tying a few nymphs, then a streamer, then a few more nymphs. I'll tie quite a bit while watching tv, but my most productive tying is the night before I know I'm going fishing. Then I just look at my fly box to see what I'm running low on and will probably need at that time of the year. Just make sure whatever routine you get into it's enjoyable for you.

I agree with headscan that in whatever you do, make sure its enjoyable. I was tying a fair number of flies going through a set list, but then it became tedious. Now I try to just have fun. Mostly that is re-stocking the go-to's @ 12 per fly (vary my sizes). Then I try new variations or new patters of the fly. Just because something worked last year or last week or yesterday doesn't mean it will work tomorrow and having that slight variation may be the key! But yeah, just have fun!

it depends on what you are tying for.

Do you need flies to feed yourself come summer (ie guiding)? then follow Max's advice.

Do you oly use your flies for your fishing? Then tie what you are into in that particular moment - take your time and enjoy every thread wrap (said crown royal help with the enjoyment!)

I am somewhere in between - would only tie for myself, but my "friends" (read friends as "people that show up just before the season opens with empty boxes and a dumb looking grin") always seem to enjoy my flies - so for me it boils down to drunk 'production' typing.... friends get the ones I ties towards the end of the night...

I tie out of fear - fear that I won't have enough come spring - fear that the old lady will catch me buying flies after spending a billion $ on materials (her words LOL)

I tend to production tie in winter - I find, especially with dries, my quality goes up big time once I've got the first 5 or 10 out of the way - Take Max's advice on working up to, or I guess down to, the smaller sizes - experimentals and new-to-me flies I save for fly-tie evenings when my a focus and level of sobriety are somewhat compromised.

During the summer I restock the box as needed and tie the occaisonal batch to better match a size or colour I am seeing often enough to replicate - I started fishing the Nordegg area more towards last summer so that required me to really broaden my range of stimies, madam x's etc etc

Carry a few traders with you - not everyone is willing to give away one of their hot flies but I have often scored a sample (to replicate) by offering to trade one of my personal favorite variations with someone riverside.

The best advice is probably do what's easiest and fun until you have that one nailed - If you start getting frustrated take a break - if its not enjoyable you'll lose motivation

That's hilarious Aquaholic - my friends all get the "not quite right" ones I tie first

I am a complete window licker for steelhead patterns, so my only purpose these days is tying steelhead patterns, although I definately throw in the odd bugger/leech/intruder, occasional nymph (not big on nymphing when I can get around it) for the bow. I just find that I am spinning up steel flies every chance I have to tie, so I really just buy most of my trout dries - aside from caddis or other deer/elk hair dries. My other purpose most nights is to kill a scotch or two. I find scotch and big flies compliment each other...

Guest Dennis59

I've been working on a box to cut down on the 6 or 7 boxes I already have. I picked up one of those new SA fly boxes that hold 752 flies. Trying to fill that and use basically one box this year. I have started out with soft hackles( doz a colour)and working my way to nymphs then dries.

I tie 5 or 6 then switch to a stream just for a change then go back to filling the box. But none of this could be done without a good cup of Coffee & Baileys. After a couple of those I kind of spin off and do some creating of my own those are the ones I give to friends.

Likely I'll need another box for hoppers and streamers.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump: