Fly Fusion Forums

Most Unusual Item You Carry

Great topic Marc!!

I carry a small survival kit which contains a whistle, orange garbage bag, "emergency" blanket, signaling mirror, swiss army knife (with a saw), w/p matches, H2O purification tabs, parachute cord, small LED turtle light... Not necessarily "unusual" but it goes pretty much everywhere with me front or backcountry.

I also purchased a (unique) thermometer (that I use for waxing my x-c country skis) but use it to get H2O temps... It is the "professional" digital waterproof model that health inspectors carry (not very expensive, either)... A lot quicker temp reading then a standard alcohol type of thermometer!

P

Saw something similar on the Deneki Outdoors blog a while back and thought it would be interesting. So what's the most unusual item you carry in your boat bag, backpack, or fly vest?

I always carry a couple of balls because I fish with my dog a lot and we stop to take fetch breaks.

My wife bought me a GPS tracking unit for Christmas. So far its only been on the river twice this year but going forward it'll be with me every trip. The way it works is it will track where you are via GPS signal and can send a predetermined text message with an attached Google Maps link to a family member or friend on either a phone or "e" mail. You can simply check in everything is OK. Or if your in trouble you can send a help message or you can call 911 in a real emergency. It works all over North America including places where there is no cell coverage. I think it's a great little tool. On another note, I cary a roll of black electrical tape with. Courtney showed me a neat little trick, simply run a little around the joints of your Spey rod. You'll never have to worry about sending your tip section into the river again.

Murray

Is that so you can get those pesky little Cutthrout when Fly Fishing fails, or to pot shot at Eastern Brook Trout you see..?

Or pot shoting at pesky eastern brook trout loving fly fishers..

Just pesky transplanted Easterners or the odd Livingstone hole hogger

I was going to say toilet paper too, but dismissed it. Toilet paper is not so much unusual as it is a necessity. You only have to get caught out there once without it, then your never without it again!

Funny story on the Bow about TP. A friend and I were getting ready for our annual Bow river camping trip and we were getting all the gear ready. I saw a roll of TP in a ziplock bag so I threw it in the cooler with my other stuff.

When my friend arrives we are going through all of our gear and he asks me if I have any TP. Confidently, I say YES.

Fastforward to 2 days later when we are on the Bow. We had steak the night before and at around 3:00pm he starts getting a bit uncomfortable and tells me to row to shore post-haste so that he might unload the steak. I row to shore, he jumps out, and is doing a little dance because things are really moving along. He yells with some urgency, " throw me the toilet paper," and I confidently reach in and throw him the ziplock bag. Frantically, he reaches in the bag and pulls out a roll of white garbage bags! The bags looked just like TP in the ziplock. So he throws the whole thing at me and takes off cursing into the bushes totally unprepared.

5 minutes later he comes back and looks relieved, so I ask him, "so what did you use?" to which he says nothing but gently lifts up one pant leg and reveals he is now only wearing one sock! I almost wet myself. We both bring our own TP now.

My wife bought me a GPS tracking unit for Christmas. So far its only been on the river twice this year but going forward it'll be with me every trip. The way it works is it will track where you are via GPS signal and can send a predetermined text message with an attached Google Maps link to a family member or friend on either a phone or "e" mail. You can simply check in everything is OK. Or if your in trouble you can send a help message or you can call 911 in a real emergency. It works all over North America including places where there is no cell coverage. I think it's a great little tool. On another note, I cary a roll of black electrical tape with. Courtney showed me a neat little trick, simply run a little around the joints of your Spey rod. You'll never have to worry about sending your tip section into the river again.

Murray

SPOT ! great devise, give the family peace of mind..

Works off of Global Star Satellites , will work anywhere in the the world, including 200-300 miles off shore..

Funny story on the Bow about TP. A friend and I were getting ready for our annual Bow river camping trip and we were getting all the gear ready. I saw a roll of TP in a ziplock bag so I threw it in the cooler with my other stuff.

When my friend arrives we are going through all of our gear and he asks me if I have any TP. Confidently, I say YES.

Fastforward to 2 days later when we are on the Bow. We had steak the night before and at around 3:00pm he starts getting a bit uncomfortable and tells me to row to shore post-haste so that he might unload the steak. I row to shore, he jumps out, and is doing a little dance because things are really moving along. He yells with some urgency, " throw me the toilet paper," and I confidently reach in and throw him the ziplock bag. Frantically, he reaches in the bag and pulls out a roll of white garbage bags! The bags looked just like TP in the ziplock. So he throws the whole thing at me and takes off cursing into the bushes totally unprepared.

5 minutes later he comes back and looks relieved, so I ask him, "so what did you use?" to which he says nothing but gently lifts up one pant leg and reveals he is now only wearing one sock! I almost wet myself. We both bring our own TP now.

Jesus mang, Mother Nature's emergency wipe, grows all over

Bromen.jpg

Don't use this though

Foxtail%20Grass.JPG

the itch will drive you nuts..................................don't ask.