Fly Fusion Forums

2 Man Pontoon Questions

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

So im looking at a 2 person toon so that the wife and i can do the summer float with all the other kids on the river, but i would also like it to fish with a buddy and by my self.

So my question is do any of you recommend any 2 person craft or should i just go with something like a water master and get the full bottom? are these 2 person craft easily fished and rowed by one?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jer,

Maybe take a look at some of the (whitewater) rafts 13' or 14', a bit more stability and room for more then 2/3 people + gear. Plus you can use them with or with out a fishing frame... Outcast has a couple that can be ordered/available locally, as well as dealers such as NRS in the States. If the CND$ remains high, it might be worth while... I think "Dino" had one in the past so he might be a good resource... Of course you'll be looking at $4000 - $5000 so in that case you might want to consider a drift boat!! LoL

Just my $.02.

P

So im looking at a 2 person toon so that the wife and i can do the summer float with all the other kids on the river, but i would also like it to fish with a buddy and by my self.

So my question is do any of you recommend any 2 person craft or should i just go with something like a water master and get the full bottom? are these 2 person craft easily fished and rowed by one?

Thanks

Jeremy

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yah, i have just started looking at CND prices and i didnt realize they were soo much. I might just get one or have one sent up by family to save money

does any one know hoe much the 2man watermaster is?

• 3 months later...

Thanks

Jeremy

I just bought a two man. Check out www.northforkoutdoors.com

I bought an Avenger and had it shipped up to Missoula for a fishing trip. Friend bought one as well.

I can't say enough good things about it.

SS

Google "Star Rafts" some ok reviews, some not so good reviews (boats are made off shore)...

I used to be a ww rafting guide for the university I attended in Idaho and your get what you pay for, that's for sure.. I wouldn't consider anything that wasn't a 12' - 14' self bailer!!

Aire, Maravia, Hyside and on the (slightly) lower end NRS are all good rafts! Aire has a great deal on their 12' Tribs (on their specials page) $2000 (Tribs are their "off shore" version), plus about $500 for a fishing frame! Buying new you get a very good (5 year warrantee for the Trib, 10 year on the Aire - Aire makes all the Outcast boats). PVC has it's advantages (weight saving and slick & smooth), but so does Hypalon (very strong but heavy). The only complication is you would have to drive down to Idaho or have it sent up which make it a tad bit more expensive. If you are interested in a raft, I think Kimball Sports out of Cardston sell off their previous years boats (PM to Kip - Fishguide76 on the board). Or if you have any specifics for me I can try to help.

Cheers

Peter

*Edit* I should answer your original question... A decent ww raft/fishing raft capacity should be 1000 - 1500 lbs 12' - 14' (or so) respectively depending on the quality.

I wonder how much weight these hold ?

If I may interject (somewhat strongly and passionately as I've cursed my way through a few boats). We've run a variety of inflatables on various rivers. These are just our observations...

The Star rafts - sure look good and sure can hold a lot of weight and that rowing frame looks nice. We had 2 rafts with the same frame that were almost identical to that. The frame - if I could have thrown it away you could have had it. Wide, heavy, thick, with an unnatural stroke. The rafts are heavy because the floor is heavy. Sure, you can have a beefcake of a boat that you can take through any water, but my goodness, I had to take time off from rowing after a couple months. And that's back 3 years when I benched 400#. The heavier the boat, the more material, the more the drag, the less you'll hold to fish, and the more you'll curse. Since getting rid of those boats I've had no need to pump iron.

The NRS is ok, a good boat, and lighter, but still... the self bailing is nice but the extra material in the self bailing floor adds weight and drag. It could be better. I'd still take one though.

Pontoon boats are good but the rowing system on almost everything I've seen lacks beefcake to really dig - row - and hold, unless you spend bigger $ to get a 2 man something - and you might as well buy a kit drift boat for $2500 (seriously a good option as they're smaller, lighter, drift nicely and can be used on lakes).

Now, the one inflatable that really stands out is a bucket boat. Our 12'6" Odyssey has been flown in, dragged in, bounced off and abused for 12 years now. It has just a regular floor. The frame was a simple rowing frame of aluminum with Carlise oars. If the boat truly is just you and/or your wife, I'd recommend tracking one down. It's the most maneuverable boat, light, holds beautifully, etc. If I could pick one boat to row 1 person down any river, anywhere, save class 5 rapids, and know I'll do so safely, this is the boat. A friend bought one with a frame at Mad River Sports (I think) down in Montana a few years back and while the Odyssey raft co has bounced in ownership through the years, it remains a good boat. The one I held on to is 12 yrs old and I bet has at least another 5 years left on it, and it has not been treated nicely - to say the least. We pd $1500 for the boat +$550 for the frame and oars.

All that and I haven't tried some of those newer, narrower rafts used on the Elk. Maybe those might work for you?

Again, just a few thoughts of various folks - and me - that have rowed our/other boats.

Cheers

Dave, I guess it would depend on the water... For the Bow/Elk, etc. where there is nothing more then class II/III (if that) standard floor would be perfect (though need beaver boards or casting platform for sure)!! And yes the more gear/weight definitely effects tracking/holding etc. Good points!

Cheers,

P

I have a 2 man McKenzie Drifter H2 X2 from Dave Scadden and love it. The boat sits very high on the water and very easy to maneuver. Only issue I had with it was once I was on a lake and all of a sudden a wind storm blew in and within 5 min I went from one end of this small lake to the other and could not stop it.(scary I'd have to say) I do not recall that happening in the aluminum boats that i had in the past. Only weights 100lbs total so very light.