Fly Fusion Forums

Telus Scam - Update - Telus Makes Good !!!

When I was working at my last job, we dealt with Telus, Bell, and Rogers on an almost daily basis for cell phones and Blackberries for our users. It was our experience that Rogers customer service blew Telus and Bell out of the water 95% of the time! Because of that, I've been using Rogers regularly for the last few years and have no plans of changing.

Very sorry to hear this story, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got phones for my wife and two of my kids with Rogers. My oldest son is with Koodoo and I am on a Telus corporate account. Never had an issue with Koodoo, over one year now. First month with Rogers resulted in a couple of hundred dollars in data charges that I did not expect. It was my son who accepted some sort of data rich email (don't remember the exact details anymore). They took it off the bill without question, and told us how to avoid it in the future. Telus has actually been pretty good as well, but it is a corporate account, so we have a bit of stroke. My wife used to have Bell, and DESPISED them.

So if I had to get another phone, I would get Rogers or Koodoo. I would not even consider Telus or Bell.

Rick, I'm sure you know this already, but Koodoo is owned by Telus! Like Virgin is owned by Bell and Fido by Rogers... It's all their discount versions.

P

I got phones for my wife and two of my kids with Rogers. My oldest son is with Koodoo and I am on a Telus corporate account. Never had an issue with Koodoo, over one year now. First month with Rogers resulted in a couple of hundred dollars in data charges that I did not expect. It was my son who accepted some sort of data rich email (don't remember the exact details anymore). They took it off the bill without question, and told us how to avoid it in the future. Telus has actually been pretty good as well, but it is a corporate account, so we have a bit of stroke. My wife used to have Bell, and DESPISED them.

So if I had to get another phone, I would get Rogers or Koodoo. I would not even consider Telus or Bell.

Telus, like the other wireless providers has a tendency to fall back on the "the sales rep isn't a Telus employee" excuse pretty regularly. I wonder if they haven't setup their business like this on purpose. The idea that they can supply you with a tool to monitor your usage but bill you for twice as much is laughable, can you imagine the gas company trying that?

The fact is that 3G products have been oversold considering the restrictions placed on them. You can "go anywhere" and "do anything" with them buy dog help you if windows decides to do a software update when you aren't paying attention.

Rick, I'm sure you know this already, but Koodoo is owned by Telus! Like Virgin is owned by Bell and Fido by Rogers... It's all their discount versions.

P

I thought Virgin mobile is that Branson dude's company. Solo is owned by Bell. Is that who you meant?

Ryan,

Nope Virgin is owned by Bell Canada!! Branson owns the parent company Virgin Atlantic...

On May 7, 2009, Bell Canada has acquired entirely 100% of Virgin Mobile Canada for $142 million and entered into a long-term agreement to use the Virgin brand.[1]

P

I thought Virgin mobile is that Branson dude's company. Solo is owned by Bell. Is that who you meant?

Ryan,

Nope Virgin is owned by Bell Canada!! Branson owns the parent company Virgin Atlantic...

On May 7, 2009, Bell Canada has acquired entirely 100% of Virgin Mobile Canada for $142 million and entered into a long-term agreement to use the Virgin brand.[1]

P

Interesting - I don't recall reading that before. I just checked and they still own Solo as well. Just when we think we're finally "getting another option".. you realize it's owned by one of the big 3! *sigh*

Can you say Monopoly (or more accurately triopoly)?! I knew you could!! :P

P

Interesting - I don't recall reading that before. I just checked and they still own Solo as well. Just when we think we're finally "getting another option".. you realize it's owned by one of the big 3! *sigh*

Marc,

That's exactly the point! That's why Wind came in with so much excitement, but I'm sure the "wind" will get blown out their sails pretty quickly as they are only in the major urban centres and already have phone incompatibilities (can only use their phones). So they are not much of an option either at this point in time, I'm afraid!!

P

So what's the alternative? We used to have more cell companies but they were failing and got acquired. I have a feeling the same will happen to the new providers.

I hate Telus. Period.

I am so jaded by them that when we moved into a new house, I went with Vonage so that I wouldn't have to deal with Telus for a LAN line. Vonage isn't perfect but it's ALWAYS $20.99 per month and when my vonage magic-box went on the fritz, I phoned customer services, talked with someone immediately, and they sent me a new box in 2 business days for free. Now that is customer service.

Thats exactly what I did when I moved in 2005. I used to have telus internet, mobile and local phone, but had nothing but poor service. I went with Shaw and Vonage, Rogers for mobile. That was 4 1/2 years ago and I'm saving $60 per month with this new option and the service has been very good from all parties - works out to over $3200 so far.

As for the hosing that pipes took here - far as I'm concerned, it is despicable and suggesting that it is covered in the fine print doesn't cut it for me. Heard some miserable stories about telus in the past, but this is by far the worst I've heard.

Pipestone....

Sorry to hear about your bill. I worked for telus dealers for years including the Group Connect Ltd. Both "Telus" stores in Market Mall are owned by Group Connect Ltd.

How far up the chain did you go, at the retail location?... Perhaps PM me

Jay

So what's the alternative? We used to have more cell companies but they were failing and got acquired. I have a feeling the same will happen to the new providers.

Not likely, the thing that was handicapping the previous small providers was the Canadian ownership rules so they couldn't raise capital. In the case of Wind, the industry minister decided to waive this. The company backing them is one over the biggest in the world so I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Hi Jay - Didn't go very far, just the one call - I don't really have any reason to suspect the kid who sold the sticks to us had anything but good intentions. - If nothing comes out of talking to Telus I'll try contacting them and see how that goes.

This weekend we downloaded our telus bills - part of the bill was air time but its hard to figure out because the three places that have signifigant charges seem to vary of the between two months of billing

What is perfectly clear is that about of $18000.00, about $14730.00 is overage charges on one stick - it is not in Gigs, it is measured in Kilobytes at a rate of $10 per Kilobyte

So 2 gigs was wrong, we actually only used 0.00141 Gigs (I knew looking into this would just upset me) which generated $ 14730.00 of the charges

Thanks - Brewing up - I'll send you aPM - I have the first 3 months bills on PDF with me today.

You need to be a lawyer to read that circular crap in the fine print*1. If the buyer does not read all the possible eventuallities as to how lousy our service or product is the n that is not their fault. You bought the POS and that once you have left the store we*1a will not do anything but good things for you*2 Our deal is the cheapest you will find anywhere *3*4,*4a

*1 It would take five hours to finish reading all the condition

*1a The sevice provider

*2 We send you a bill with charges you don't understand

*3 Numbers in the advertised price do not include system access fees, or other fees we will see fit to asses from time to time

*4 Roaming and 911 charges extra so don't get into any emergencies

*4a before signing remember to bend over, touch your toes and enjoy as you our valued customer are serviced by one of our knowledgeable commission based representatives.

Like those new bank commercials show honest business does not need to rely on FINE PRINT!

I've been with telus since I got my first phone line back when I was 18. Never had a problem once... service reps always seemed friendly... sure sometimes they tell you "we can come in two weeks on wednesday between 9am and 5pm"... but then again what phone company doesn't?

Hearing this story is a bit of a shocker. I'm going to go read my bills really closely.

I've been with telus since I got my first phone line back when I was 18. Never had a problem once... service reps always seemed friendly... sure sometimes they tell you "we can come in two weeks on wednesday between 9am and 5pm"... but then again what phone company doesn't?

Hearing this story is a bit of a shocker. I'm going to go read my bills really closely.

That is what got us on Telus Brian , our bills were never the same, sometimes higher when we never even used the damn cell Phones or Mikes...So Ann started looking and going over the bills and man sometimes it was $100 + over what is should be, she started on them and would phone ever month when a bill came in...

What is perfectly clear is that about of $18000.00, about $14730.00 is overage charges on one stick - it is not in Gigs, it is measured in Kilobytes at a rate of $10 per Kilobyte

So 2 gigs was wrong, we actually only used 0.00141 Gigs (I knew looking into this would just upset me) which generated $ 14730.00 of the charges

Thanks - Brewing up - I'll send you aPM - I have the first 3 months bills on PDF with me today.

That is ****ing insane!

Telus, started charging my dad for a long distance plan. He didn't realize of this extra charge for a number of months. Once he stated looking into it he noticed he had been charged this extra fee from Feb. 09. He was in south america from Jan. till Apr. Telus's response was somebody had authorized them from his house for the extra billing. Aside from a family friend looking after the house nobody else was around, let alone anybody with who could authorize added features. They cancelled the extra fees going forward but still charged for four months of a service no one signed up for. Crooks, Telus has not received a penny of my money since 1997.

Fastpoke

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update for the site !!!!!

Thanks very much to a member here with a connection within Telus who was kind enough to forward my post to the executive level of Telus, as a result the situation has been resolved much to my satisfaction !!!!!

An $800 credit has been applied to our account and we have put our devices back to the $30/month as per our original contract, an obligation I am happy to continue as per our original contract (now that we know how to actually monitor our usage and keep it under limit)

My confidence in Telus has been restored, The folks at Telus were very eager and put a large effort into getting a hold of me and correcting my situation.

Once again membership on FFC has made my world a better place !!!

If the member that helped me consents to the publicity, I will thank them publicly in addition to the box of my best flies they will be recieving, plus a day at one of my fav alpine lakes if the are willing....minimum

A HUGE thanks to Brewingup (Peter) for all you did !!!!!!!!

Sandy and I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your life to help us out with this situation.

I look forward to the day we get together and wet a line with 30 or 40 of my best "orange slashed jaw" friends !!!!

Sincerely

Rob and Sandy M