Fly Fusion Forums

Fisheries Management Meeting In Rocky

Folks,

I know that a lot of you consider the Rocky area your home water. Below is a poster that came my way today.

If you can make the meeting, that would be great.

Failing that, send me your questions & comments and I'll forward them to the meeting conveners for inclusion into the meeting info.

email is donandersen@bamboorods.ca

regards,

Don

Fisheries-Poster-1wa.jpg

Good to see these type of sessions. My hope would be that they are going to actually listen and not just talk and take the feedback they get for some analysis. The people who fish the area I am sure have some great ideas on how to improve angling in the region.The frustration for me is that when you look at what Brian Chan has done to improve fishing in British Columbia and you look at some of the fishing opportunites in Saskatchewan and Manitoba , I just can't understand why we can't look at doing some differant things to improve Trout fishing in this Province. This includes some regulation changes ,

mulitple species fish stocking , some other species of trout..Tigers for example.

Hopefully you have a good turnout and maybe Don we can send you some suggestions to take to the meeting ?

My suggestion, be it extreme, is to have catch and release only reg's implemented for moving water.

Let those who want to eat fish take the stocked fish from put and take lakes.

Keep our trout rivers full with wild trout that are healthy and they (Tourists) will come. The more people that we have enjoying our fisheries the better protected they become.

Extreme? Well I suppose, but I think the fishing would be incredible...

Folks,

Some of the things you might like to think about:

1] Should C&R waters be extended?

2] Are Bull Trout population sufficient to allow harvest?

3] The Quality Lake policy is now suspended in the Rocky area -is this the right thing to do?

4] What about perch - we've lost 6 lakes so far to the yellow rodents. Reclamation costs could exceed $6.5 million and so far the only "on ground" SRD response is to stock pike in Cow Lake. Is this response adequate?

5] What are SRD's future plans to extend fishing opportunities in the Rocky Area?

Don

tallieho,

I was informed by the Regional Bio. that all the Quality lake Policy had been fulfilled in the Rocky Area and there would be not further management changes to lakes.

This was not either the intent or wording of the policy which recognized that some areas would have more quality lakes that others do to population and water bodies.

I'd suspect that SRD got tired of being yelled at by those wanting better management.

catch ya'

Don

Some thoughts on my mind:

1. Should fishing still be allowed on the Red Deer River in the fall during the Brown trout spawn considering the fragile population?

2. Are the proposed regulation changes for Fall Creek to protect the Bull trout populations going through?

3. Should we introduce more "fly fishing only" stretches to rivers similar to the Maligne in Jasper? Prairie Creek comes to mind.

4. As mentioned by Mcleod, other than the usual Rainbows & Brook trout how about introducing some new trout species to some lakes such as the FLIPPR Tiger trout lakes that are so successful in Manitoba?

5. Any thoughts about stocking Golden trout in some geographically isolated high alpine streams? (I'm dreaming, I know.)

6. What about a pollution study on Sylvan Lake? The fish populations are good for now, but this lake has some future challenges with the amount of planned development surrounding it.

Guys,

Have been told that there maybe another lake in the quality column north of Rocky somewhere in the Drayton area.

Don

NormanMcLean,

The questions below should be addressed to Vance Buckwald of the Red Deer SRD Office. They are outside of the Rocky SRD's area.

1. Should fishing still be allowed on the Red Deer River in the fall during the Brown trout spawn considering the fragile population?

6. What about a pollution study on Sylvan Lake? The fish populations are good for now, but this lake has some future challenges with the amount of planned development surrounding it.

• 4 weeks later...

southfisher et al,

The meeting was well attended by folks from all over Central Alberta + @ least on guy from Edmonton and one from - are you ready for this - CALGARY!!

Each of the Fisheries Tech, Biologist and Managers gave a talk on issues. The talks ranged from Lake Management Objectives, the Perch Issue, Regulation Changes, Quality Lake fisheries and so on.

Enforcement folks gave a talk as well. According to the officer, 30% of all anglers are fishing illegally in one way or another.

What the meeting a good idea - you bet. It gave an opportunity for the Fish Managers to meet the folks that they manage the fishery for. All the Govt folks were approachable.

The meeting was facilitated by two ladies that did a bang up job.

But, there were some things I found personally worriesome.

1] There was not a lot of mention about self-sustaining populations of this and that or bull trout. That can be seen as either a good or bad thing. Either there are no issues or SRD was unaware of any.

2] The illegal perch stocking is still ongoing with Twin Lake now exceeding the Perch Removal Policy. SRD apparently is in talks with Parks. First perch illegally stocking in the Rocky area was 1981. Rapidly counting on my fingers, that's nearly 30 years of....

3] A question on Quads driving up and down creeks got some folks a tad steamed. One Fisheries Tech told us that instream problems are Dept of Fisheries and Oceans responsibility.

On a personal level, I only posed a few questions and for the most part, they were not answered. I'll follow up the questions with SRD later.

regards,

Don

southfisher et al,

The meeting was well attended by folks from all over Central Alberta + @ least on guy from Edmonton and one from - are you ready for this - CALGARY!!

Each of the Fisheries Tech, Biologist and Managers gave a talk on issues. The talks ranged from Lake Management Objectives, the Perch Issue, Regulation Changes, Quality Lake fisheries and so on.

Enforcement folks gave a talk as well. According to the officer, 30% of all anglers are fishing illegally in one way or another.

What the meeting a good idea - you bet. It gave an opportunity for the Fish Managers to meet the folks that they manage the fishery for. All the Govt folks were approachable.

The meeting was facilitated by two ladies that did a bang up job.

But, there were some things I found personally worriesome.

1] There was not a lot of mention about self-sustaining populations of this and that or bull trout. That can be seen as either a good or bad thing. Either there are no issues or SRD was unaware of any.

2] The illegal perch stocking is still ongoing with Twin Lake now exceeding the Perch Removal Policy. SRD apparently is in talks with Parks. First perch illegally stocking in the Rocky area was 1981. Rapidly counting on my fingers, that's nearly 30 years of....

3] A question on Quads driving up and down creeks got some folks a tad steamed. One Fisheries Tech told us that instream problems are Dept of Fisheries and Oceans responsibility.

On a personal level, I only posed a few questions and for the most part, they were not answered. I'll follow up the questions with SRD later.

regards,

Don

Don that sounds like bullshit and banana boats...I do not know for sure but I would love to read what Harps says about that statement!!!

Some thoughts on my mind:

2. Are the proposed regulation changes for Fall Creek to protect the Bull trout populations going through?

3. Should we introduce more "fly fishing only" stretches to rivers similar to the Maligne in Jasper? Prairie Creek comes to mind.

4. As mentioned by Mcleod, other than the usual Rainbows & Brook trout how about introducing some new trout species to some lakes such as the FLIPPR Tiger trout lakes that are so successful in Manitoba?

5. Any thoughts about stocking Golden trout in some geographically isolated high alpine streams? (I'm dreaming, I know.)

As a strictly fly fisherman only, I OPPOSE any implementation of FLY FISHING ONLY water. As a licenced fisherman you pay the same taxes etc. for this resource and FLY FISHING already has an elitist reputation and FLY FISHING ONLY WATER ONLY ENHANCES THAT. What would be the benefit?

30% of all anglers are fishing illegally in one form or another.......... That's fd up if that's not a call for more enforcement I don't know what is

That was my gut reaction as well, but then I got to thinking how many of that 30% are knowingly fishing illegally? I'd guess a fairly large chunk, in which case more angler education is needed. A good example would be the signs that were put up at one of the lakes specifically calling out the regs for that lake. I remember it was guys from this board (Don maybe?) and there was a picture of it in a thread, I just can't remember the specifics of it.

DFO is responsible for impacts to habitat.

People should be calling the Minister and MP's to complain about the impacts of recreational use on streams.

But, DFO only regulates and enforces works or undertakings, such as an industrial activity... recreationally driving through a creek is a passtime, not work. This needs to be changed, but it is from a past court decision. The only way it will change is with a ton of public compliants and possibly a new court case.

I think SRD has the best resources to stop OHV use of creek beds. They have all sorts of access rules and regulations that they could be enacting and enforcing. They could allow (yes allow, right now they want industry to leave trails and roads open for OHV use); they could allow industry to close and reclaim roads when they are done. They could close sensitive areas to motorized traffic. They could dictate where the crossings are and dictate where the trails run and that motorized use has to stay on those trails.

On the otherhand, Alberta Environment, Environment Canada, DFO, and SRD should be getting calls complaining about deleterious substances (oil, fuel, grease, etc) coming from vehicles as they are instream. Nobody is allowed to deposit a deleterious substance during any activity (unless its a regulated substance).

I know for a fact that despite all the talk, folk AREN'T writing complaints to ministers, or phoning them, or even calling to complain at the local offices. A few folks will complain then stop. The mailboxes need to be flooded to make a minister or MP care.

Calgary is the 4th largest city in Canada, with over 1 million people and one of the highest disposible incomes in Canada... yet it is a free for all in Alberta's recreational areas. Don't you think it is about time that the Alberta gov't stood up and protected something from the masses?

How about some enforcement and some actual protection?

Read the Jan edition of the Alberta Outdoorsmen for a great article on enforcement (Fish Habitat) in Alberta... there have been a few great article lately on the topic, some by Neil Waugh and this last by Duane Radford.

• 2 weeks later...

Don,

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting. Was there any talk on these issues:?

1. Are the proposed regulation changes for Fall Creek to protect the Bull trout populations going through?

2. Should we introduce more "fly fishing only" stretches to rivers similar to the Maligne in Jasper? Prairie Creek comes to mind.

3. As mentioned by Mcleod, other than the usual Rainbows & Brook trout how about introducing some new trout species to some lakes such as the FLIPPR Tiger trout lakes that are so successful in Manitoba?

4. Any thoughts about stocking Golden trout in some geographically isolated high alpine streams? (I'm dreaming, I know.)

Don,

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting. Was there any talk on these issues:?

1. Are the proposed regulation changes for Fall Creek to protect the Bull trout populations going through?

2. Should we introduce more "fly fishing only" stretches to rivers similar to the Maligne in Jasper? Prairie Creek comes to mind.

3. As mentioned by Mcleod, other than the usual Rainbows & Brook trout how about introducing some new trout species to some lakes such as the FLIPPR Tiger trout lakes that are so successful in Manitoba?

4. Any thoughts about stocking Golden trout in some geographically isolated high alpine streams? (I'm dreaming, I know.)

NM

1. Yes

2. Some will say no. Some would want it. I spoke to Dave Christensen about that exact topic for 10 min after the mtg. The gist of it is that if enough people are in support of it for a water, it would go through. If you want it bad enough, someone out there would likely get it through somewhere if they put lots of effort into it. It would spark an elitist debate but there are merits to our current system and looking at that. There are merits to keeping it the same too. But, it could become reality if pushed with enough support.

3. Essentially we're at a place of trying to maintain and perhaps expand the program with the fish we have in the hatchery system and one or two more lakes per region. Further, from the RDR RT last year, there is a mandate for expansion with a couple of water bodies identified, but the impetus has to come from people within the area leading the charge - otherwise it won't happen because gov isn't going to impose it. Direction came from the survey of anglers wanting a higher % of waters designated. Adding new fish types (tigers) is not on the radar.

4. Not likely. Exotics stocking like that (most - all hatchery trout stuff is exotic) is now really restricted. Also after the mtg, I talked to SH about that - I asked about taking CNR RBT into a certain spring creek or certain tailwater and it would take a lot of string pulling now. A lot has changed in the past 15 years.

Cheers